Finally off all RLS meds!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
electriclegs

Finally off all RLS meds!

Post by electriclegs »

After taking Sinemet (first) and more recently, Requip, my RLS got much worse. The meds each worked for me at first. Unfortunately, after a couple of months, I was having the symptoms earlier and earlier in the day and the symptoms were much more severe. I really felt I had no choice but to stop the meds, I could not imagine how I would function if the RLS got progressively worse (as it had been doing).

Three weeks ago I reduced my Requip dosage and then tapered off completely. The first day or two without any meds was hard but now I have nights that I am not even bothered by the RLS at all and when I am, it is so slight that I can usually fall right to sleep with just a backrub.

This is a huge difference for me, while on the Requip, my RLS kept me up every single night with painful cramping (which I'd never had before the Requip) and more significant creepy-crawly-jumpy sensations.

Good luck to everyone.