essential oils?????

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
bbdeezy

essential oils?????

Post by bbdeezy »

Just wondering if anyone has luck using any essential oils to relieve the pain associated with RLS? My stepdaughter works at A hospice house and she said they use this on some of the patients? I am willing to try ANYTHING.

electriclegs

Essential oils that may help

Post by electriclegs »

This is from "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy," by Valerie Worwood. She does not list anything specifically for RLS but there are some good essential oils for Parkinson's Disease and they may be worth a try. Always test a small amount the mixture on the skin before using, in case you are sensitive to it. Good luck!!

Essential oils to alleviate muscle stiffness (in general):
Rosemary, Lemon, Hop, Basil, Orange, Bergamot, Marjoram, Nutmeg, Lavender, Geranium, Valerian, Thyme.

General Massage Oil for Parkinson's:
Nutmeg 5 drops
Valerian 2 drops
Geranium 5 drops
Rosemary 18 drops
(diluted in 2 Tbs. vegetable oil)

Massage Oil for Muscle Stiffness:
Marjoram 10 drops
Basil 5 drops
Rosemary 10 drops
Lemon 5 drops
(dilute in 2 Tbs. of vegetable oil)

Bath Oil Formula:
Orange 5 drops
Bergamot 5 drops
Lavender 10 drops
(blend together and use 4-6 drops in bath)

Suellen

Essential Ois

Post by Suellen »

I am just learning about Essential Oils and have had some relief from spasms. I difuse the oils in an electric fan blown difuser as heating Essential Oils destroys their theraputic value. I always use a few drops of Lavendar with is a sedative and anti-spasmodic. If my symptoms are not severe I blend with Orange, also anti-spasmodic. With severe symptoms I blend Lavendar with Bergamot, anti-spasmodic and sedative and Basil, a powerful anti-spasmodic. I use the Reference Guide for Essential Oils by Connie and Alan Higley. It has a page of various oils for pain. One of the blends the book recommends is PanAway which I have ordered but not received. I buy most of my oils at the health food stores. A few of the oils listed for pain are birch, basil, helichrysum, balsam, Roman chamomile, rosemary, lavender, to name a few.

neelia

Post by neelia »

PanAway is very strong, so be sure to use a carrier oil such as avacodo or a nut oil to avoid irritation!

Basil & Rosemary together seem to help on some nights.