Finally Gone

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jimmylegsnomore

Finally Gone

Post by jimmylegsnomore »

Hi all,
I am now 50 and have had RLS since my twenties. I also have Menieres disease in my right ear. After a bout of heavy pressure in my inner ear and subsequent hearing loss I went on the net looking for something to reduce the pressure during these periods (usually Spring along with allergies). I was led to Gingko Biloba as it helps with the "ringing" (which is a constant problem with this disease). I started using it in 2002 and found that it failed to reduce the ringing but did help with the pressure.

Anyway, one completely unexpected side effect was that my RLS went away! I take a large dose of GB (120 mg.) twice a day to keep the inner ear pressure down which is more that most people would take for other reasons (mental clarity etc.).

I can still get some RLS when I take antihistamines within eight hours of bedtime. I have always noticed an association of RLS and antihistimines/cold meds.

Obviously this is anecdotal and may not apply to anyone else because of the complexity of our respective body chemistries. But I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced something similar. :D

georger

Post by georger »

Thanks for mentioning it, you never know, you might help someone. I'll look into it.

Sherry