Menstrual cycle?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Robin-Whittle

Menstrual cycle?

Post by Robin-Whittle »

Can anyone report on how their RLS depends on their
menstrual cycle?

There are so many factors affecting RLS and I don't
have a clear impression yet of how the menstrual cycle
may affect it, but perhaps someone has some theories
or observations.

- Robin
I have no formal qualifications in any field. Internet discussion groups and
information from people with no medical qualifications - people who
have never met you - are no substitute for proper medical care and advice.

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

I am interested in this topic too. I had a difficult night last night and I was wondering if it had anything to do with my menstrual cycle. I think I may be perimenopausal too. Does anyone have any experience with how menopause and menstrual cycle affects RLS?

Laura

JJKathlee

Post by JJKathlee »

I do believe that my menstrual cycle affects my RLS. The week before I start, it seems my RLS becomes much worse and usually lasts day and night. I don't know what the researchers have discovered, this is just my own personal experience. Also, I have a friend who developed RLS with her pregnancy which went away after she gave birth. This suggests to me that hormones affect RLS in women.

niksego

Menstrual Cycle and RLS

Post by niksego »

I found that my iron is extremely low and since you bleed and lose iron durning your menstrual cycle, if you have low iron this could be why your RLS gets worse, like mine. Just a suggestion, you may want to have your iron level checked. Now that I take iron supplements, I feel much better.

brown dog ventures

menstrual cycle

Post by brown dog ventures »

I believe ovulation/menstrual cycle has much to do with my RLS. Although I have "terrible legs" at other times as well, I, too, have RLS 24-7 during this period of time.

Jeanie

Every thing is worse

Post by Jeanie »

Starting a week,
Yes now at least a full week before menstrual cycle.

Every thing is worse.

It does feel like a curse to me.

The day of it is even worse than worse.

It will last for about 3 days into cycle and then I start to feel like better.
Human even.

This year I have started to ache very badly in my left foot and my left leg up to the knee and my rear.

I had ached in my right knee and leg for years at that time of month.

I just keep telling my self this will pass and I try to plan ahead for the lowest moments.

I buy grocerys ahead of time .

I try to do any thing that needs done in town ahead of time.

I try to get out side when the sun is out for awhile .

I get movies to watch.
One sad movie is good to let the tears fall and get the water out of the brain and to watch alone with a box of tissues and the cat.
I pop popcorn in the afternoons.
No salt!

I stay away from people that are not positive.
Or people that demand more than me than I have to give.

Jeanie

rella

Post by rella »

I've also noticed that my rls is worse usually the week before my cycle starts even with 2 mgs. of requip!!!

Stacey

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I am a post M ... and I do believe there is a cycle... the RLS is daily and painful, but from my journal I have a pattern where my sleep cycle is fairly good restorative, deteriorates, the muscle weakness and such worsens extensively for about a week, then it improves... so I do think that it might be realted to hormones, possibly... I can remember in my late 20s talking to drs saying that it has to be some kind of cycle...

Jeanie, I love your suggestions and so relate. One of the movies that I have to watch to rebalance is Second Hand Lions...

***********Positive Thoughts and Energy to all*************

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

neelia

Post by neelia »

I have absolutely noticed a correlation between my menstrual cycle and my RLS. Much worse the week before & the first few days of my period. It was my DH who actually noticed the relationship. :shock: Not much seems to help except the passage of time.

claire.demarest

Menstrual cycle?

Post by claire.demarest »

Mine has a definite correlation, although it seems to be more towards the end of my cycle. Are there any studies that anyone knows about?

My Yoga instructor told me to take 3000 mg of Calcium and 4000 of Magnesium, but that seems like an aweful lot. is anyone taking that high of a dose during thier cycle?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I haven't. Have you read any studies on what happens at higher levels? I have a book somewhere. . . I'll see if I can dig it out.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss aunt flo is a witch when paired with rls, more so than usual

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Hurty

Post by Hurty »

Has anyone noticed a change in flow (meaning, less) after being on any of the DA's or antidepressants for awhile?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Not for me. . .
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.