Mercury and RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
MMiller

Mercury and RLS

Post by MMiller »

After 21 years of struggle with RLS, I finally have relief. It was discovered that I had a high mercury count, so I had my mercury amalgam fillings replaced, and have since had a huge drop in RLS discomfort (and in mercury levels). I then heard that taking L-Glutathione (from health food stores) helps the body release stored mercury and move it out through the kidneys, with less damage to the kidneys. (I had two kidney infections in my 20s, and have had reduced kidney function ever since.) After being on L-Glutathione for a few days, all RLS ends. If I forget to take it, the symptoms start back up, until I've been on it for a few days again. Even when suffering these slight recurrences, though, they are nothing compared to the tortuous RLS before my fillings were replaced.

It seems there must be a connection with mercury (which leaches daily out of mercury amalgam fillings into our bodies) and RLS, but that only makes sense since mercury has long been known to have negative neurological effects.

Thanks!

georger

thanks for this information

Post by georger »

I was really happy to read about the mercury connection. My naturopath had RLS, up until she got a new kidney! and then it was gone. So mercury may have been at least some part of her affliction. I think it is so important to follow through on these ideas! thanks so much for sharing, I will check into it myself.

Sherry :)