Does stress effect your rls symtoms?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
georger

Does stress effect your rls symtoms?

Post by georger »

I was wondering if other folks have extra problems with rls being severe on evenings/nights when you are stressed/worried/ etc?

I have noticed that if I go to evening meetings (like city council mtgs!) or any other meetings where there is alot of stress/conflict etc involved that I just have a terrrible time falling asleep - my legs go crazy.

I have stopped all stressful evening activities because of it. Does anyone else notice a relationship between stress/anxiety and rls symtoms?

Sherry :roll:

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Hi georger

I'm sure you'll receive other replies, but I wanted to jump in here. Stress definitely effects my RLS, without a single doubt! And, I know I'm not alone. In this day and age, when so much is expected of us, I don't know how we avoid stress. I supposed stress has always been a part of people's lives.

One thing I've kind of learned recently is, when I feel really stressed--before it gets total control of me--I do deep breathing exercises and try to concentrate on something pleasant. While that certainly doesn't get rid of the RLS, it does help with stress--which might make my RLS not quite as bad as it could be.

You are talking to the champion worrier here, so don't think I've got the world cornered on stress control. But something like this might help you a little bit.

In the meantime---I don't remember if you are new here or not. But, I want to welcome you. This is a wonderful support group. I don't know where I'd be right now if I hadn't found this place almost two years ago!

Good luck and don't be a stranger!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

Sam2

RLS

Post by Sam2 »

I have not noticed that stress affects my symptoms much. However, I'm curious if anyone else notices that a combination of alcohol and late bedtime hours bring on their symptoms? Just about every time I notice my symptoms, it is after 1am and I've had something to drink. My fix has always been two tylenol as I stretch and massage my legs until I fall asleep. Don't know what happens after that because I usually sleep well although my husband tells me I sometimes kick.

Sam

Rubyslipper

Post by Rubyslipper »

Stress can be a HUGE factor in RLS. That's why good sleep hygiene is so important. If stress triggers your RLS, either find a way to eliminate the stress or a way to de-stress before you go to bed. For most people, alcohol is NOT a good way to de-stress. It only triggers more RLS. For some people it doesn't bother them at all. Stress affects us all in everything we do and although we can't keep it out of our lives completely, we can learn to deal with it better. If anyone has suggestions on how to do this, ways to de-stress, maybe we can start a new post. It could be a big help. I'll start it and see what we come up with.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

georger

Stress and rls

Post by georger »

Thanks for the comments. I am doing better now that I stopped stressful meetings at night. Maybe it will change later, but for now it feel like the right thing for me.

Jan! thank you for the welcome. I have been using the discussion board for a few months and have gotten some good ideas. I love to get on the site in the night when I am worried or upset about something going on with my legs.

Recently, I have doing really well with my little regimen that I have going...at least for now!

Sherry

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

!-
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Sam, alcohol causes increased RLS sensations in some with RLS. I for one have increased problems with RLS sensations when having an alcoholic drink ... it is not consistant. One time I may be able to have a couple drinks and be fine, other times one drink and I can't manage the RLS. So majority of the time I forego alcohol as I just don't want to play russian roulette in my ole age!

Stress does contribute to RLS.

Some suggestions for reducing Stress

Trade massages with a friend. No cost, fun and relaxing. What? No friends? Go to a local massage therapy school and have the more advanced students work on you. Usually low or no cost. Make friends with a massage therapist, if you can find one locally, and barter child care, web design, bookkeeping, or whatever you do, for massage therapy.

Go to your local essential oils for aromatherapy provider. For the following conditions, put a few drops of suggested oils on a cotton puff and place in room: (Please consult an aromatherapist before using ANY oil if you are pregnant or have high blood pressure, epilepsy, severe allergic responses or asthma. Never apply essential oils directly onto the skin - always combine with base oil. Avoid accidental ingestion - Keep out of reach of children and pets!)

Environmental Stress (fluorescent light, ringing phones) - use cedarwood, chamomile or bergamot.

Mental Stress (finances, unemployment, taking exams) - use patchouli, lavender or sandalwood.

Chemical Stress (inhaling smoke, overdoing caffeine, food or alcohol, pollution) - use lemon, patchouli or rosemary.

Physical Stress (overdoing exercise, driving long distances, fatigue) - use chamomile, lavender or geranium.

I have also found sage to be very relaxing as it has sedation qualities.

You can also put a few drops on a tissue or handkerchief and casually sniff it from time to time.

Make your own body oil by using 10+ drops of an essential oil in an ounce of base oil such as sweet almond oil.

Actively participate in a support group, in your hometown or online. It does help to raise your bodies endorphines!

Then there are those times when nothing is working? Not the meds, the heating pad, the ice pack, your significant other's massages, etc.? Then try watching some comedy movies... one of my favorite is Second Hand Lions... that always reduces my stress feelings.

Dig out some old lps, 8 tracks, cassettes, cds! The idea of music as a healing influence which could affect health and behavior is as least as old as the writings of Aristotle and Plato. The 20th century discipline began after World War I and World War II when community musicians of all types, both amateur and professional, went to Veterans hospitals around the country to play for the thousands of veterans suffering both physical and emotional trauma from the wars. The patients' notable physical and emotional responses to music led the doctors and nurses to request the hiring of musicians by the hospitals. So turn on the music!

Some find it helpful to do slow, deliberate exercise like Yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, or deep breathing like Jan. Learn a few moves and do them when you begin to feel stressful, better yet before you do!

Take a mini retreat if only to a nearby park where flowers and birds are abundant.

I enjoy gardening... weeding is a great stress reliever! hahahaha

Hope some of this is helpful! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

jep458

Post by jep458 »

Stress affects my rls BIG TIME. I work full time (and too hard at that) and then volunteer almost every single weeknight. I try to commit to not doing things more than two week nights and to just coming home and reading. I listen to certain music (cello and violin do it for me) and read for an hour and a half, then cook dinner, sometimes while watching an episode of the L Word in the kitchen. After dinner I try to read some more. Then I listen to a "waves" noise on one of those sound machine things. I also like the white noise one. I have an eye pillow that is stuffed with lavendar and some essential oil mixtures that are in a vial with a roller on the end so I roll it on my temples and forehead before bed. It is hard to live a low-stress life, but I certainly agree that stress and rls are connected. Good luck!

amytazzi

Stress the cause of rls?

Post by amytazzi »

We probably will all agree that stress makes rls worse, but sometimes I think it may actually be the cause of my rls (along with a genetic pre dispositon). This is just my theory. If it was stress that was creating my rls I would actually be happy because I would have a better chance at a cure. My neurologist said it is not caused by stress. I eliminated caffeine
& zoloft plus I am taking mag/cal/zinc. I am also on clonazepam. One or all or all of those things is making me feel better but still have symptoms all the time.

Is anyone else out there who feels this may have been caused by ongoing stress and/or depression??

Amy

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Just my two cents, but not really. It might be exacerbated by it, but not caused by it. You either have the genes for it, or you have it secondarily to another condition. In those cases, you can get rid of it if you can eliminate or greatly improve the condition.

But if you didn't have the gene, there wouldn't be any RLS even without LOADS of stress. The stress might cause it to "jumpstart" when you'd never seen it before and reducing the stress might reduce it. It might even go away for a period of time. But, it would eventually come back I would think, once activated. Of course, just my thoughts based on what I've read.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

amytazzi

stress

Post by amytazzi »

I'm sure your right its just that it came on so suddenly. I am 58 years old and never had it before , although I have always struggled with anxiety disorders and mild depression. I also have a brief history with psychosomatic illness ironically on the bottom of my feet (rls is mainly in my feet) The former problem disaappeared the day after the top orthopedist (at that time) told me it was in my head. That was 30 years ago. This problem does seem different from the last and it was diagnosed by 2 neurologists. I'll keep doing my thing and hopre for the best. Thanks for your input.

Amy

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I can't say I've noticed a correlation between my RLS and stress. I've noticed that it has been much worse when on certain antidepressants, particularly Lexapro.

One thing I do know is that my RLS causes me stress. :(

The other weird thing is that relaxation exercises make it worse, as do muscle relaxants. The more relaxed my muscles are, the worse it is.

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, I can certainly agree to the relaxation part. I completely gave up a several year mediation practice for a long while. I also was unable to get acupuncture because the meditative relaxed state made my RLS go nuts immediately. 45 minutes with needles in your legs as you try desperately to keep them from moving is not fun.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

ViewsAskew wrote:Oh, I can certainly agree to the relaxation part. I completely gave up a several year mediation practice for a long while. I also was unable to get acupuncture because the meditative relaxed state made my RLS go nuts immediately. 45 minutes with needles in your legs as you try desperately to keep them from moving is not fun.

I can only imagine having RLS symptoms with acupuncture needles stuck in me. Eek.

I've always been an active, fidgety person, who just keeps moving. My son is the same way. Maybe it's a learned response to having had RLS since childhood. Anyway, he came home from a church event today and was telling me about having a guided meditation. I just laughed and said that some people are not meant to participate in those. Turns out he totally cracked up and broke the mood.

The only way I can really destress and relax is to exercise myself silly. But that doesn't seem to affect the RLS. Except for while I'm exercising.

Susan

AussieRodney

Post by AussieRodney »

Stress & RLS symptoms.

Just one word:

ABSOLUTELY !!!!

Some nights I get so dosed up on aspirin that my nose bleeds.

Susan, I love your moniker!

Rodney. :)
Life is not a dress rehearsal, it's the real thing.