IDEAS FOR DE-STRESSING YOUR LIFE

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Rubyslipper

IDEAS FOR DE-STRESSING YOUR LIFE

Post by Rubyslipper »

Since we all live with stress everyday and for most of us, stress makes our RLS (and everything else) worse, why not a place for people to share ideas on how they de-stress? Maybe it could help someone else to learn how you manage stress. One way I handle stress is to journal. I don't do it everyday and it isn't a formal thing. But if something happens that really upsets me, I write it down. This is a personal journal that no one else is allowed to read. That way I can write whatever I want. I can really tell someone off or bare my heart and soul. I also use it to keep track of the good days and bad days of RLS and what has happened before that could have had an influence. I don't try to keep it neat (although if it's really messy, THAT stresses me!LOL) and usually don't think about what I'm writing, just start in. I buy a cheap spiral notebook and just write. It helps me, at least sometimes.
You've always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself! (Glinda of Oz)

Penguinrocks

Post by Penguinrocks »

I do the same Ms. Ruby....

Sometimes tho, I will write poetry as well...these i share....but journaling is usually what i do

love you
Penguin
Beware the Penguin

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Okay, this is going to sound totally NUTS to some people (probably), but I talk to myself when I'm alone. Sometimes, if I'm really bothered by someone (whether near and dear or something that happened), I'll "tell them off" and sort of talk it out to myself. Sometimes, I get things more into perspective by doing this.

I also find sewing helps de-stress me. If I'm feeling especially down or upset, I'll go make a pillow or do something creative. I also sew when I'm happy, so I like to sew. But, it DOES get me into a better frame of mind.

And, sometimes I'll put CD's on and just sing at the top of my lungs. And, as I said in another thread, a friend of mine taught me slow breathing techniques--a lot like Lamaze.

Ruby, this is a good idea!

Hugs
Jannie
No one is alone who had friends.

georger

a destressor for when you really need it!

Post by georger »

I distract myself if it's a minor issue. Like with TV or books. I like a good adventure book. If I am really upset I cry, or best of all I find a quiet time where I won't bother anyone else with noise, and I beat up pillows and scream and cuss untill I get it all out. Feels good.

- Sherry