a remedy that works for me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
gossma

a remedy that works for me

Post by gossma »

Just joined the organization. Thought I should give feedback on what I have benn doing to releive my RLS. I'm 55 yrs old andI've suffered from RLS for over 15 years. I tried exercise, milk at nite, only 1 cup of caffeine coffee in the morning then decaf only, crack my knees in the evening and during the night, etc...It wasn't until I found this web site and read all of the other possible "solutions" that I proceeded to get relief. I tried a "sleep" remedy that I bought on-line which somewhat worked, and then went to the local non-prescription store to get something similar. That also worked pretty well. But I then tried something without a whole bunch of "other" stuff in it and this final mix is what I have been taking for over 6 months and, knock on wood, I don't have RLS at night. I take 3 things about 20 minutes before bedtime: half(about 25mg) of a 50mg iron pill which includes 117mg of calcium; half to 2/3(I break it with my fingers) of a potassium pill(ppmg pot but it says 595mg of potassium glucosonate; and one whole 3% melitonin pill includes 89mg calcium and 68mg phosphorous. That's it!!! Sometimes I only take a half a melitonin. If I take a whole potassium, I feel a little like I've taken a little caffeine. And if I take a whole iron pill, I sometimes get an irregular stool.
Hope this helps someone else.
Bill :D

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

Gossma,

I took 3mg melatonin once. I slept well but then had a migrane for 3 days. I recently took it and took only half a 3mg pill and didn't have the migrane. It comes in 1 mg tabs too if the 3mg causes anyone problems.
Just my experience with melatonin.

Laura