sleep aid

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
tashton

sleep aid

Post by tashton »

Does anyone know of a non-pharmaceutical sleep supplement that really works. I take norco for my RLS but can't go to sleep even though my legs are calm because the norco seems to keep my head going. I have tried prescription medications and don't like the grogginess I still have in the mornings. Does Valerian root work and if so how much do you take? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sadiegirl

Post by Sadiegirl »

Tashton,

My internist suggested that I take melatonin. It comes in 1mg and 3mg tabs. I tried the 3 mg. It worked. I slept well but had a migrane for 3 days. I recently tried a 1/2 a 3mg tab without side effects. You might want to start low and work up to 3 mg if 1 mg doesn't help. I do not have experience with valerian root, sorry.

Laura

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

tashton and Laura, My doctor suggested Melatonin too. I haven't tried it so I can't report on the affects. Thanks Laura for mentioning what worked for you. Most times I find that I do best when I start at a low dose and work up! Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I can report my experience with both valerian and melatonin (and that of my DH). Both of us found that these drugs induced extraordinary dreaming. For me, they also kept me awake more of the night than they allowed me to sleep - I think it was related to the dreams, but the end result was that I was awake 20-30 times. Neither of them helped my RLS, and I did have a worse night than usual when I took the melatonin. I can't say it is the melatonin's fault, per se, because I only tried it once and it might have been bad anyway. It did not help, though.

Both of us decided that the dreaming was too strong a side effect and we were not willing to try it again. Many people take both of them, however, and with no problems. The dreaming is a noted side affect of at least one of them.

Ann
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.