My many 'pseudo' remedies.....

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
MotleyCorn

My many 'pseudo' remedies.....

Post by MotleyCorn »

Hello All,

I'm a 25 yr old male who has been suffering from RLS since I was a kid. My earliest memories of it are when I was 8 and 9 suffering through the 'long' (long to an 8 yr old....lol) 20 minute drive to my grandma's every weekend.

It stayed at about the same severity until about the age of 20. Until then RLS effected maybe a couple nights a week every couple of weeks, and only for an hour or two at most. Almost 'tolerable' if you will.

Since the age of 20 it has gotten much worse, some weeks affecting me every night. If I had to guess, I'd say I average two to three nights a week with NO sleep what so ever.

This lack of sleep affects every aspect of my life. I am still the humorous person as I've always been, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't irritable/moody on the days I go on no sleep. This has affected personal relationships, and caused me loads and loads of regret.
Unless someone has RLS themselves, they can't begin to understand the frustration of it.

Getting through the day at work isn't so bad, I just run on adrenaline most days. I'm a carpenter's apprentice and I, as well as my boss, would enjoy it if I got a good night's sleep, seeing as my days are spent working with powertools. :(

Now, to the remedies I've tried on and off over the years with some success. But, like some cruel joke, none of the remedies work 100% of the time, and some are a last resort that probably dont work more than 10% of the time.

Muscle creams: Icy Hot does nothing; I figure it's the heat. Deep Cold provides relief some nights, but others it does nothing.

Stretching: I stretch my calf muscles before bed every night, but this is only effective maybe 30% of the time.

'Sleepy Time' teas: Some nights I'll get up and make myself a 'Celestial Seasonings' herbal tea. The combination of herbs makes me feel almost 'drunk.' One tea is strong enough. On one occasion I opted for a second tea to make sure I was good and drowsy. It made me throw up. Lesson learned.... :oops:

Orange Pekoe Tea: I know caffeine is believed to be a trigger of RLS, but this seems to work about 70% of the time. My girlfriend thinks it might be the warm milk in the tea that puts me to sleep.

Marijuana: This works about 90% of the time, but I'd sooner not have to smoke a couple of bongs every night that my legs act up. I wouldn't recommend that everyone rush out for a bag of marijuana, because the potency varies a great deal. The marijuana grown in Canada is some of the strongest in the world, and quite frankly it numbs my legs wonderfully, but I'd prefer to get relief for my RLS elsewheres.

Supplements: This week I will start taking a calcium/magnesium supplement to see if it helps. I've never tried this before, and after all of the hits and misses with remedies for RLS, I'm not getting my hopes up. :?

If I had to narrow down how RLS has effected my life the greatest, it would be, quite simply, there are days when I wanna give up and end this life. It's not something I dwell on, or spend hours thinking about, it just gets to be that a life with NO sleep is NO life.

I am Joe, and that is my story. Hopefully the proceeding makes a bit of sense. Afterall, not like I got any sleep last night.

And now I head off to my job and a day of powertools.
:wink:

Incase anyone is wondering how I know all of the percentages, I keep an RLS journal documenting nights the RLS bothers me and what I to alleviate it. (If at all.)

Take care all.

MotleyCorn
WANTED : regular occurrences of quality sleep, preferably in 8 hour periods.

Heronak

Post by Heronak »

Hey Joe, thanks for your story. It parallels mine in many ways, and the frustration (to put it mildly!) I hear from you is something I can relate to. That wondering if you'll ever sleep normally, function normally again, how shitty it feels to be a crab-ass all the time because you're exhausted, how hard it is to concentrate at work, etc.

Sounds like you take charge of your health and are doing your research. The supplements help some people and are certainly worth a try.

I'm not sure if you're looking for suggestions or not, but there are options for relieving the symptoms. The typical medication treatment course is

Benzodiazapines for sleeping (worked for me for several years).
Low dose opiods (I never went this route)
Levodopa/caridopa (worked for about a month, then the augmentation started)
Dopamine agonists (this is currently working for me, about one month into it)

You might want to check out the Mayo Clinic report An Algorithm for the Management of Restless Legs Syndrome at http://www.mayo.edu/proceedings/2004/jul/7907crc.pdf

I am thankful to have a very supportive and fairly informed physician who is learning along with me about RLS. Hopefully you have the same; those days of not wanting to live are serious and we need all the support we can get. Take care and keep in touch,

Heron

ronh

Post by ronh »

Hi Joe

Was rather interested in your story and in perticular when I read that you work with power tools. I have a posting Subject "The B&D Treatment" you might be interested in reading. The answer to your problem might be right there in your hands everyday.

From what I read in your story I get the impression your problem is located in the lower legs. Mine is upper so don't know if this same treatment will work for you but nothing to lose by giving it a shot.

Best of luck to you - RonH