The B&D Treatment

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ronh

The B&D Treatment

Post by ronh »

Now, some of you may be thinking of a totally different subject when I mentioned B&D Treatment. However, what I am referring to is what I consider to be the Black & Decker treatment.

I’ve turned 50 recently and suffered RLS since my late teens. Only in the past 10 years or so did I actually learn there was a real name for the condition which doctors never could help me out with. So, like the rest of you I learned to live with it.

I consider myself one of the lucky individuals who suffers the mild form of RLS up to this point. And, I have tried many different possible solutions to get rid of the feeling short of a hacksaw. Of course, there were those nights when the hacksaw was coming to mind when things got really bad. And many nights when I simply said the heck with sleep totally.

The warm bath method really didn’t work. A really nice hot bath in a jacuzzi did fare better. However, by the time I could dry off and get back into bed and symptoms would start up again if I didn’t fall asleep within 10 minutes. Pounding the legs didn’t work well either but it did provide for the release of some frustration. Heating pads or the use of ointments such as Ben Gay or Icy Hot actually worked better than the hot bath and did fair in combination. The problem with the heating pad is that I only needed it to get to sleep and not for the entire night. And the other stuff was rather messy. And again both those options had time limitations. I tried massage units but they didn’t work too well either. Even expensive units were just too weak to dig down deep enough since my problem was in the upper legs. Hence, my discovery which has worked wonders for me.

Right out in my shop I had a hand held Black & Decker electric sanding machine. From working with it for its original purposes I knew that on the high setting this little device had the power that I was seeking. One night I used the unit when the legs were acting up. Naturally, I do recommend that you remove the sandpaper first. The bottom pad is made of rubber. When the machine is turned on high and applied to the effected leg, the vibration is very intense and that pad also heats up. So, what you end up with is a very powerful and deep penetrating massage with the added application of heat. After about 5 minutes of this my legs seem to decide that they have had enough activity and mellow out to a very relaxed state - and I can venture peacefully into the Land of Nod. The sander is not expensive and serves a dual purpose if you ever have to sand anything. Perhaps you may even already have one tucked away with the tools. But, its the most powerful massage unit I’ve found that can really penatrate deep into the legs.

Also, a few other things I’ve noted from my experience. First, don’t mentally fight RLS because chances are you’ll lose. Second, for me the RLS is mainly in the upper legs. I had found that foot massage sometimes helps to reduce the feelings of restlessness but (for me) it only works if someone else is doing the massage while I can relax. So, the Chinese may be on to something there when it comes to pressure points on the bottom of the foot. And finally, I’m prone to sleep apena - again very mild and only comes in durations of several months to a year. But, I do notice when it shows up. Usually RLS precedes the apena by about a week. If the RLS is strong I’m certain an encounter with apena will not be too far off. When RLS is not that bad the apena does not occur. So, there appears to be some kind of link between these two problems. The sleep test I’ve had for apena was negative but that was for only one night. It never happens when you want it to and I certainly can’t predict what night it will. But, when you wake up gasping for air apena is a pretty good culprit - unless of course you find the hands of your spouse wrapped around you neck because you forgot to put the toilet seat down.

Anyhow, I haven’t had a problem with RLS in well over a year now (knock on
wood). And, I cannot attribute that to any lifestyle changes or changes in diet. Just been lucky for now. But, I’m certain it will return in it’s own time as it always has in the past. Meanwhile, I thought I just might share the Black & Decker treatment with you because it hasn't let me down yet. Now, I do have a TENS unit but have not tried it for RLS. The unit was for a back problem which is okay now. But, I have had it in the back of my mind as another possibility. With the wires and all it would take more effort than the sander but I am curious to see if it can provide similar results.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hi ronh. Welcome. I am sorry you've had to find your way to this board but your post was a delight to read. A Black & Decker sander, huh? I've definitely never heard of that one. Yes, I'm sure it provides a deep massage, to say the least. :D I have never asked for power tools for Christmas but there's a first time for everything.

My husband just had a sleep study. He suffers from sleep apnea too. They weren't able to confirm it at his study because he barely slept a wink. So he gets to have another one. That's going to take months. It's very frustrating. How strange that your RLS has become a predictor of the apnea.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Post by Guest »

Hi Sole

Thank you for your very warm welcome! Naturally, none of us want anyone else to suffer from RLS but it has been nice to find that we are not totally alone. In all my years I’ve only come across one person who knew what I was talking about when it came to the symptoms of RLS. And, I can only imagine how many others suffer from it and simply live with it without ever having seen a doctor.

The sander has been great but I failed to mention what one should expect. When making application those nerve endings are really going to tingle. Also, dont apply too much pressure to prevent a burn. Use only the pressure necessary that you find to be comfortable. When you believe your leg is relaxed enough - usually 5-10 minutes depending on how bad the RLS is that night, when you turn off the machine you’ll have a tingling sensation - sort of like your foot waking up after it has fallen asleep on you. Just take the palm of your hand and “rub lightly” over the area. It’s almost like brushing the tingles away. What should be left is a dull relaxed feeling.

Indeed, the sleep test can be fustrating. They needed to start my test at 11pm. At the time I worked nights. Usually I woke up around 3pm. So, 11pm to me was about the same as 1 or 2 in the afternoon to the rest of the world. Very difficult to actually go into a full 8 hours of sleep.

Anyway, I do not fit into the protocols for apena that are usually found in those patients. But, I most certainly know its there - you can’t miss it. One of the questions they did ask though was if I suffered from restless legs. I was very surprised to see that question on a medical form and it was only then that I was able to put 2 and 2 together. I began to realize that in many episodes of apena that they had been preceeded by strong RLS only a few days to a week at most before the apena episode. What is interesting however is that light and mild RLS does not have that effect. So, apparently there is some kind of a required level (in my case) that the RLS must reach before apena will be triggered. And, as many people think, that most likely involves chemical reactions in the brain - too much of - too little of - or whatever the combination.

Hope things work out in a positive light for your husband at his next study so that they may at least have a direction to start working in. Having it and not knowing what to do with it can be very scary. Also for Christmas be sure to specify "sander only" or you may find yourself with enough tools to take over all the wonderful household repairs :D

Ron

jumpyowl

Hi, Ron!

Post by jumpyowl »

Massage has been discussed before, but I am with you, vibrators (which possibly the sander can be classified as, are different , and even they, among themselves, greatly differ in amplitude, frequency, and the type of motion. If I recall correctly, my sander has a back and forth and a circular (more of an oval type) of motion. I would guess the oval type is better as it makes a more turbulent motion, what do you think? :?

What you write about sleep apnea is certainly unusual. As far as I know there can be three causes of it: (1)Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is caused by a blockage of the airway, usually when the soft tissue in the rear of the throat collapses and closes during sleep and (2) Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) , where the airway is not blocked but the brain fails to signal the muscles to breathe. (3) Mixed Apnea, as the name implies, is a combination of the two. They all result in in a decreased oxygen saturation of haemoglobin in the blood.

With each apnea event, the brain briefly arouses people with sleep apnea in order for them to resume breathing, but consequently sleep is extremely fragmented and of poor quality.

In your case we can rule out (1) and (3). Since you do not have apnea consistenly. The question is why your brain forgets to signal the respiratory muscles?

Since you only have apnea occasionally, and somehow connected with RLS, I wonder whether it could really be caused by periodic leg movements which cause disturbed slow wave sleep pattern by repeated arousals (I had 187 arousals during one night but had a high oxygen saturation of the haemoglobin (94%-98%), thus no sleep apnea. Perhaps yours is worse when you sleep in certain unfavorable body positions?

Are you on some sort of medication that can contribute? Stress? What does the doctor say???

I will try your sander idea and will report on it. I have severe PLM so it may not be enough to do the trick plus I am on dopamine agonist medication combined with an opioid, so to do the test right I should discontinue those. :shock:

Thanks for contributing.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

ronh

Post by ronh »

Hello Jumpy!

Great to hear from you. You have several good points and a very informative response. I’ll address the sander first.

The sander I use has a back and forth motion so I can’t say how the circular style would work since I have not experienced it. What I believe however is that it has more to do with the frequency of the vibration. The more aggressive it is the better. Since sanders are intended to be aggressive my “guess” is that a circular movement or a combination, would not make much difference. Should work. Can only tell my experimenting. I also believe that it has more to do with stimulation of the nerves rather than the muscle itself. When a muscle is being really worked like that those nerve endings are working overtime too and sending all those signals upstairs to the main CPU. I know that exercise will produce endorphines for you but not certain if this type stimulus has the same effect or to the same degree. But if so, then maybe they provide a small contribution to feeling a bit better. But, there is obviously more going on chemically as these signals created by the vibrations are reaching the brain.

With the sleep apena I can’t totally rule out number 1 (obstructive apena) just yet. Still have to track it more. Aside from a bad case of RLS preceding an apena episode, I have also taken note that the apena can occur when I land up (a) sleeping on my back and; (b) when overtired. Likewise, some of my RLS experience is connected to being overtired. There is a greater chance of experiencing it at those times. So, I can see some connections and relations here and can avoid them. Now, what is interesting here is that when all things are normal I can sleep on my back and not experience any trouble. So, for obstructive apena that is a negative aspect pointing the finger at number 2 - CSA, Central Sleep Apena.

Here we have the brain (as you say), failing to signal the muscles to breath. When I experience RLS and I am not overtired, and not sleeping on my back, that is the key indicator to me that the apena is just a few days off. And sure enough its just like having been underwater for an extended period of time and coming up gasping for air. Horrible feeling that almost makes you not want to go to sleep. For me, the worst time is that period right in between wakefulness and being asleep when the brain waves are changing. So, we have the question of how RLS is associated with CSA. And why (in my case) only a bad case of RLS triggers the apena. If there are small periods of apena during the night I don’t notice them. I’ve only experienced the bad ones right there in that twilight state.

During the sleep study I did ask the tech about the question on the medical form with regard to restless legs. It was the only protocol for apena that I fit into. The tech was not sure of the relation but said that they have found that quite a few people who may be experiencing apena seem to report having restless legs. Cause unknown - the
association unknown. But, the question was there because they wanted to track it better for study. The doctor basically told me the same thing but indicated it is neurological on some level yet to be determined. I’ll tell you - I’d give just about anything to experience a bad case of RLS, be able to predict the exact day thereafter that the apena should arrive, and be wired up for a sleep study at just that moment between wakefullness and full sleep to see what those monitors report. I don’t know about the RLS but I do know the worse apena is right inside that window.

No. Not on any medications. Life long I’ve been very lucky and healthy. No high blood pressure, labs always perfect and a clean bill of health. Stress however for me is something that comes and goes and I’m aware of it. Try to leave it behind whenever I can because it can be so negative to your health. But, naturally you can’t totally avoid it in this world of ours. I have not taken note to see if stress is a factor in either RLS or Apena. However, usually if I’m overtired it’s due to work and when thats the case stress is most likely present. But thanks, I’ll have to watch that a little more closely.

Anyhow - on your PLM I’m not sure either if the sander will work with that. I’ve had that jerk myself once in every other blue moon. Certainly not enough to tag it as PLM and never associated with anything else. Just one of those jerks that most everyone gets once in awhile. But, I know the “feeling” of that uncontrollable jerk and don’t think a sander would do much for it. But, you never know. That aggressive vibration may be sending some signal up to the brain causing chemical change there - perhaps triggering an increase in Dopamine production or its uptake due to agressive stimulation? I’ll be interested to see how other people respond to the sander therapy. If it works out for them we’ll have to keep this secret away from the FDA or you just might need a prescription to visit the Home Depot.

It appears from all the postings that what works for some dosen’t work for others. Curious as I am I have to ask “why”. The RLS appears to have many different triggers for different people. But somewhere in there, in the brain, there is a constant in everyone which is sending these “jumpy” signals down to the legs. When we understand the workings of that spot and exactly what its job is, I believe research may have a better chance to track tirggers backwards individually - stress, renal failure, diabetes, relation to apena etc. There is a lot of chemical interaction but somehow each of these individual triggers are creating just the right combination of chemical reaction for the brain to order those little bugs to start crawling. To say the least it is a very strange order which appears to have logic to only the brain itself

Also, you mentioned Dopamine. It is interesting that you mentioned it. I just read an article in National Geographic this month (actually Aug 2004 issue), Please Pass the Sugar. It deals mainly with the question of why placebo's seem to work just as well as real drugs on some patients with real conditions. It included improvement in motor function for Parkinson where the brain cells fail to produce dopamine. It reported that during brain scans even the anticipation of relief by a patient triggered dopamine production! In other words, simply thinking positive that they would get better the brain actually began to physically respond. So, this nurotransmitter (dopamine) is rather interesting as well as the brains ability to respond to only thought and thus begin producing dopamine. So, if you do discontinue the meds to do the test (in particular the dopamine), you may want to keep this little study in mind and try some positive thought to see if there is any benefit there. Now, what the study didn’t say was just how much dopamine was actually produced by positive thought alone. I’d think it can’t be that much or we’d have a free cure for Parkinson. But, it is interesting none the less.

Good luck with your test!

Ron

jumpyowl

Fantastic post Ron!

Post by jumpyowl »

Great to hear from you. You have so many interesting points that I had to copy your whole post into mine, so I can comment on all of them. I am color=coding. Your text is in blue.

I also believe that B&D sander treatment has more to do with stimulation of the nerves rather than the muscle itself. When a muscle is being really worked like that those nerve endings are working overtime too and sending all those signals upstairs to the main CPU.

You are probably right. Now the bad news: I cannot find my sander. I suspect that my wife sold it during one of our numerous garage sales (we moved a lot lately). I have to ask my neighbors, perhaps one will want to lend me one for medical experiment?

I tried going without medication but it was tough riding. Perhaps the sender will help.

Apnea: And sure enough its just like having been underwater for an extended period of time and coming up gasping for air. Horrible feeling that almost makes you not want to go to sleep. For me, the worst time is that period right in between wakefulness and being asleep when the brain waves are changing.

Somewhere I have posted a typical sleep pattern. One apparently goes through from 1-4 then reverses and comes back to 4-3-2 where one can have a REM period then it goes down to four, comes back, etc. I assume that you experienced respiratory difficulties when you came back to stage 2 (perhaps suddenly) a sudden disturbance in in the somnograph. It is a horrible feeling the Chinese water torture is based on that.

So, we have the question of how RLS is associated with CSA. And why (in my case) only a bad case of RLS triggers the apnea. If there are small periods of apnea during the night I don’t notice them. I’ve only experienced the bad ones right there in that twilight state.

What I am wondering whether you had "arousals" in your sleep study?
In PLMD one has many such twitching of muscles that breaks the slow wave (3-4) pattern. I had 186 during the night, somebody else had over 200. Enough to leave you tired and interfere with the pituitary gland function which only secretes growth (repair) hormone during the stage 4 sleep. :(

During the sleep study I did ask the tech about the question on the medical form with regard to restless legs. It was the only protocol for apena that I fit into. The tech was not sure of the relation but said that they have found that quite a few people who may be experiencing apnea seem to report having restless legs. Cause unknown - the
association unknown.

I was one who had no apnea but severe PLM. Would be nice to know the number. I feel that these two are different. I used to have apnea a few years back but I lost some wieght and that put a stop to it. Also not sleeping on my back.

On a personal note (please excuse me), you are the only CEO I knew who had to work night shifts. :shock: It is unusal. Now wonder your circadian rythm is all messed up. You are right, the circadian nature of RLS (well established) is probably not apparent in your symptoms.

The RLS question was there because they wanted to track it better for study. The doctor basically told me the same thing but indicated it is neurological on some level yet to be determined.

Let us see what he/she comes up with!

Anyhow - on your PLM I’m not sure either if the sander will work with that. I’ve had that jerk myself once in every other blue moon.

I also have jerks occasionally but that is not PLM I think.

Also, you mentioned Dopamine. I read in the National Geographic a report that stated during brain scans even the anticipation of relief by a patient triggered dopamine production (people receiving placebo)!

No qyestion in the researchers' mind that a lack of dopamine is responsible for RLS and also that usually in such cases there was a lack of ferritin-related iron in the brain cells.

Did you see my post on nonpharmaceutical dietary supplementation? That aminoacid (found in tea) actually increases dopamine level in brain cells. I should have written "supposedly".
Jumpy Owl

ronh

Post by ronh »

Hi Jumpy

First, about CEO. Yes, is rather unusual I would suspect. I’ve been really use to working nights for so many years (decades), that it’s comfortable for me. In law enforcement it was about 15 years of nights and that was followed by about 6 years in Hemodialysis which was a bit of both. Days there started at 3am and ran to 5pm. I was a Chief Tech so I had my hands full with both total patient care and when not running treatments, then it was biomedical repair and maintenance of the dialysis machine, reuse and water purification equipment. Today, my schedule is my own but I’ve been so accustomed to nights that I’ve stuck with it. Our manufacturing plant is in the Philippines so since its day there for them I can communicate our needs here. Gives me time in the day to do whatever can’t be done in the evening or weekends and so much more work gets accomplished without interruption. I’d like to say that its almost pressure free... almost. And there is also one added benefit. I suffer from allergy (pollens) and its always at its worst in the morning when temps are in the low to mid 70s. Working nights permits me to sleep through that period so that when I awake it doesn't bother me.

Yep - I know the association with some allergy medications to RLS. Because of my unique allergy control method I may have to take only 6-12 pills in a year only once a day on a very bad day. So, that has not been a factor in my RLS.

<<Now wonder your circadian rhythm is all messed up.>>

Have wondered that myself for the longest time. I know there have been quite a few general studies on the ‘night owls’. With me it could be possible that since I’ve done this for decades that the circadian rhythm may well have fallen normally into my habits. In the evening I like to watch the news around 7pm. By 8-9pm I find myself falling into a nice little nap for about a half hour. Since I awake about 2-2:30pm that would put me about 7-8 hours into my day. So, what I have wondered about is (a) am I getting sleepy around 8-9pm because the circadian rhythm is saying that it’s bedtime or; (b) am I experiencing that nod that many people feel in their late afternoon that a short nap fixes - siesta time. So I don’t know if that melatonin is kicking in around 8-9 or waiting till around 5-6am, actual bedtime. An interesting observation though - if I don’t take that little nap and actually go to bed I will sleep till around 3am - that is about 6-7 hours of good sleep. So, indeed the circadian rhythm has been in the back of my mind and I’ve thought about its possible effects on RLS, if any. But, have not yet connected any of the dots.

<<I assume that you experienced respiratory difficulties when you came back to stage 2 (perhaps suddenly) a sudden disturbance in in the somnograph. >>

Wish I knew. The study was normal and I tried my best. Even by intent laid flat on my back to increase the possibility of an apena episode. But, all they got was one small reading of a “possible” episode which was not enough for them to be concerned over at all and labeled the test as being negative. There were arousals but I don’t recall how many and since moving can’t find the old report. Again, it wasn't enough to bother them though.

REM sleep has always fascinated me as well as dreams. For the most part they are a mix match of whatever your mind can come up with. But, over my life I’ve experienced two individual dreams that had actually come to pass in reality. One around age 14 and the other about age 22 (I’m 50 now). Both dreams occurred about 1 year before the actual experience came true - and I am talking right down to the last physical detail of where I was standing in place I’d never been before in my life. So, there is a unknown part of brain activity which is totally fascinating during REM sleep. Guess we’ll never know the why’s for such things as that. But, although I’m aware of the various stages, and our back and forth movement through them, I’m not too certain of which is which or their durations etc. However, with the apena I simply get the feeling that it is occurring moving “into” a deeper stage rather than on the way back out. Reason being is because is only happen’s in a very early window. It has never woke me up from full sleep or at anytime outside that early window. It would be so interesting to see in an EEG just what the brain waves are doing at that particular moment and what lands up getting fired off... specific region or maybe along the central stem.

<<I also have jerks occasionally but that is not PLM I think. >>

I’m with you there. It’s more than just a spasm. It’s an actual jerk of the limb. Usually the leg but perhaps sometimes an arm. Only happens once and then can be a very long time before it would happen again. It’s just something the brain does to misfire on most everyone at some point in their lives. The spasm seems to be more muscle related while this occasional jerk is more like the brain sending one misguided signal down to the leg that results in an uncontrolled jerk. The uncontrolled feeling is the same as PLM but it’s not PLM per se.

On the RLS - I believe I questioned why a bad case of RLS triggers the sleep apena. Actually, I worded that incorrectly because I do not know if the RLS is a “trigger” of the apena. It very well could be simply an “indicator” of the apena. If we’re looking at CSA as a primary cause in my apena episodes, it may be possible that something is happening days before the actual episode (building up so to speak), and thus chemically somehow increasing the RLS to a level that I’ve associated with a coming apena episode. Sort of like when some epileptic individuals see spots or auras before they have an attack.

<<Did you see my post on nonpharmaceutical dietary supplementation? That aminoacid (found in tea) actually increases dopamine level in brain cells. I should have written "supposedly".>>

No, have not see that. Will take a look. Off hand I’d wonder though about the caffine counter effect...?

<<I have to ask my neighbors, perhaps one will want to lend me one for medical experiment? >>

If you tell them that I’m certain you’re going to leave them scratching their heads! :D

RonH

becat

may I jump in here

Post by becat »

Hello to bothe Jumpyowl and you Rohn,
I hope you don't mind my jumping in this but something caught my eye.
About the mixing up of days and nights. It's a common thing in the women in my family to be night owls. It has taken an all new twist for me. I feel better if I can go to bed from 3 am to 5 am and awake 10-11 am.....now this is not the best schedule for a MOM, wife, and business owner. However it is the most comfortable with me.
Since I have rarely slept for 10 now I just assumed that I messed up the enternal clock forever, but I'm now wondering (having read this thread) ........why isn't it possible to have a different clock? Is it just that most of the world lives in a working daytime manner that the others of us SEEM odd? It now seems clear to me that as individuals that we just might be nighttimers as opposed to daytimers.......
Not a revolutionary thought I am sure, but there has always been a certain guilt that I do not sleep when others around me do. Maybe this is another change we need to force on the world. Nightowls are human too. LOL

ronh

Post by ronh »

Hello Becatx

Don’t mind you jumping in at all! We’re all hear to learn by each others experiences as well as knowledge so every little bit helps.

The human clock is a wonderful device that for the most part appears to be rather fine tuned by nature. I suspect that our habit of sleeping during the night and working during the day is simply a habit forced upon us by evolution. Ten’s of thousands of years with no light to brighten up our way during the night. And perhaps the clock just fell in rhythm with that.

What is very interesting is that we as humans go by a 24 hour day. It’s a measurement of time that we’ve adopted based upon the calender and seasons etc. However, research has proven that our cicardian rhythm does not comply with the artificial 24 hour clock we use in the real world. When individuals have been deprived of sunlight, any method of telling time, and away from external items such as television or other communication, the internal body clock reveals that it is running differently than the normal world. These test conducted inside a cave, at constant temperature and with artificial light, permitted the test subjects to simply experience living without time. The results indicated that the internal clock is actually running between a 25-26 hour cycle and not 24. If that is the case then even being off by one hour a day would come to 365 hours a year that the body’s clock is out of whack with the real world time. So, its not very hard to understand why during some periods of the year it eventually catches up with us. Some days we may experience fatigue and have no idea where it came from or others may present us with the inability to want to go to sleep - any other things such as RLS aside.

My personal belief is that that cicardian rhythm is adjustable. After all, there are people all over the world living in vastly different time zones who are well in coordination for the region in which they live. Changing this throws off our “personal clock” adjustment as jet lag easily proves. But, given a period of time the body well eventually adjust to the requirements of the new region we have moved to. Accordingly, I don’t see how that is all that much different for people people who are awake at night. In a manner of speaking we’re simply operating in another physical time zone. The only constant among all the people of the world is darkness vs sunlight. But, that does not occur at the same time for everyone.

And, so goes RLS. For the most part it appears to efffect us as the body is winding down for the day and demanding its rest at bedtime - whatever time your personal clock happens to be set to. One other thing to keep in mind is that as we age our sleeping pattern changes as well. Research appears to point to the fact that less night sleep is required by the body but more little naps are necessary for recharge. But, RLS is not restricted to just bedtime. Although it happens most often at that time, there are times when it may strike during the middle of the day while one is sitting for example, watching TV or boredom causing inactivity. So the internal clock is interesting but does not in itself seem to pose a direct relation to cause of RLS (the way I see it).

RonH

jan3213

Welcome RonH!

Post by jan3213 »

Hi RonH! I'm Jan and I'm 56. I've had RLS for about 20 years. Your point about people's sleep patterns changing as they age is correct. I do not require as much sleep as I used to. I usually get only 5 hours sleep a night (and I'm on Mirapex and Clonzapem for my RLS, so it's under control right now). When my RLS is NOT under control, I have not been able to take a nap during the daytime, sit in a chair to watch T.V., sit through a movie, or even ride in a car for very long. So, my RLS does not occur only at night. By the way, welcome!! I've enjoyed your posts!! I'm sorry we have to "meet" this way, but I'm glad you've found us. I've found this site to be extremely helpful and have found tons of information and made a lot of new friends!! I can see you are going to be a good source, too!

Jan

ronh

Post by ronh »

Hello Jan

Thank you for your welcome! I too know what its like not to be able to sit through a movie. Very fustrating and especially so if the movie is a good one. I've been lucky though. My last bout with something like that has been at least a few years back. Mainly for me it just bedtime and even that has been at a lull this past year. Only two nigths ago it gave me an indication that its still around but not enough to really bother me and I got to sleep okay. There have been lap's like this before but it always comes back sooner or later. This just happens to be one of the longest periods between RLS episodes I can ever remember since my teens. And, I do not take any kind of meds for it so its working on its own accord.

Indeed, you are a case showing clearly how RLS can effect your sleep. And naturally, without proper sleep everything else gets thrown off. Hope your RLS remains under control for you with the meds you are on!

RonH

Anonymous

Skelaxin?

Post by Anonymous »

Hi All....I have suffered from the symptoms of RLS for a year and never even knew what it was. It is so hard to describe to people and I actually thought I was losing my mind. Well, I sorta am, I guess. I first noticed that the symptoms got worse when I tried to take an over the counter medicine to help me sleep. Tylenol PM, for example, made my legs jump so much worse that I didn't try that again, no matter how bad I needed sleep. Then I tried taking Melatonin which helps me sleep but I have to also take it with a med that was prescribed for my herniated disk called Skelaxin. What I wondered is if anyone has noticed symptoms of RLS getting worse with a sleep enhancer or if anyone has heard of Skelaxin and knows what properties it might contain to help RLS sufferers. I am so new to this diagnosis and your postings have helped me so much. It is somehow comforting to know that I am not the only one with this disease and that there is actually a name for what I have been suffering with.

Little Lamb

Post by Little Lamb »

I've taken Tylenol pm before and always get a burst of energy after taking it if I go to bed right after taking it. I find in order for that burst of energy NOT to happen I've got to wait until the medicine takes effect and I get completely groggy I have to go to sleep.

I don't know if this will help in your case. It may not, but you can give it a try.

Heronak

Tylenol PM

Post by Heronak »

Stefanie,

Tylenol PM has Diphenhydramine as the "sleep aid" portion of the med, which is a type of antihistamine. It causes drowsiness for many people, but is known to worsen RLS symptoms. It is torturous for me, I avoid all products containing antihistamines. Best,

Heron

jumpyowl

Hello, Stefanie:

Post by jumpyowl »

You wrote:

Then I tried taking Melatonin which helps me sleep but I have to also take it with a med that was prescribed for my herniated disk called Skelaxin. What I wondered is if anyone has noticed symptoms of RLS getting worse with a sleep enhancer or if anyone has heard of Skelaxin and knows what properties it might contain to help RLS sufferers. I am so new to this diagnosis and your postings have helped me so much. It is somehow comforting to know that I am not the only one with this disease and that there is actually a name for what I have been suffering with.

Now that you know you are not alone with this weird affliction you are in a position to do something about making you more comfortable.

Skelaxin is a muscle relaxant which will not help your RLS. As a matter of fact it can cause insomnia which is something you do not need. See below:

Skelaxin is a skeletal muscle relaxant used to relieve the pain of muscle injuries, spasms, sprains, and strains. Skelaxin is recommended as a supplement to physical therapy, rest, or other treatments your doctor may recommend, and it will not replace these treatments. Do not overuse injured muscles while under the effects of Skelaxin, as this may result in further injury and a prolonged recovery time.

Skelaxin is only available by prescription.

Skelaxin Side Effects

Mild Skelaxin Side Effects: Blurred or double vision, clumsiness, dizziness, drowsiness, faintness, or lightheadedness are the most common side effects, but are not usually a cause for concern. Less common, though not generally dangerous, side effects include abdominal cramps, confusion, excitement or restlessness, flushing, headache, heartburn, hiccups, insomnia, irritability, irritable bowel, weakness.

You and you doctor should determine what severity your RLS is present at. Is it associated with periodic limb movement disorder? Is it painful at times?

If you have RLS daily or at least 3 times a week then you should treat it with medication. I hope your doctor decides to start managing it with a dopamine agonist, such as Mirapex. This helps to get rid of paresthesia in 90% of the patients so it is of diagnostic value!

Look up the algorithm of RLS in the Open Forum. It contains useful info.

Or ask any questions.
Jumpy Owl