The B&D Treatment

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
shorne

Sleep Meds and Sleep Lab

Post by shorne »

Hi Sole, I was just reading a post where you said your husband will have another sleep study because he did not sleep during the first one. You have to sleep for the study to reveal much other than insomnia.

When I had my 2 sleep studies, I was told to bring my medications with me, and to take them because they wanted to make sure I slept. So I took my Ambien (10 mg) and Restoril (25 mg) with me and took them both nights.

The reason for the second sleep study was to set the pressure on my C-PAP machine. Some sleep labs do that during the first night, but at St. Luke's Hospital Sleep Lab in KC, MO where I had mine, I had to return. It cost me double what one visit could have accomplished. Not complaining, but that's the way they do it. When my brother who also has sleep apnea had his done in AR, he got the job done in one night.

I truly hope your husband gets the help he needs. Why not ask if he can be prescribed a sleep med to take to make sure he sleeps during his study. Or if he has some, ask if he might take it with him.
Thanks for listening, Sue

restless one

glad to find yall

Post by restless one »

hello-i'm new to the site, but not new to rls. i have dealt with it for about 15 years. i have been on a low dose of klonopin at bedtime during that time and it has helped tremendously. however, reading about the night owls has made me curious. i recently went back to night shift, and since the change, the rls has been out of control!!! i'm having to wear support hose during the day and night to help control the discomfort. i wonder if the change in circadian clock brought about the flare up. i realize klonopin is a benzodiazapene, and i really don't want to request an increase in dosage, but i am feeling desperate and miserable. any thoughts? thanks for the info so far.
restless one

jumpyowl

Hello, restless one

Post by jumpyowl »

You did not mention your symptoms but benzodiazepines are not the only or even the best way to control the symptoms of RLS. Have your doctor considered dopamine agonists (Mirapex) or anticonvulsants (Neurontin)? If you have pain, opioids or near opioids (ultram, hydrocodone) can also be quite helpful.

I do not think raising the low level of klonopin you are presently taking is a mortal sin. A medication has to be taken at the level where therapeutic effect is obtained otherwise it is useless. What is your level? 0.5 mg?
Jumpy Owl

restless one

Post by restless one »

hi, thanks for writing back. i have been on 1 mg klonopin at bedtime since the beginning, 1991. i have been on neurontin in the past for migraine prevention, but did not notice a change in the rls. my symptoms began during my first pregnancy, from what i can remember, and they include kicking or jerking my legs during sleep (uncontrollably!, my poor husband!); twitching of my legs and even arms when almost asleep; and deep discomfort that can be relieved (but only for a few seconds) by moving my legs around. i, too, have found that on really bad nights, if my husband lightly massages my legs for a period of time, i can go to sleep easier. anyway, i am really miserable since going back to night shift and i wonder if the interruption in my circadian rythym has brought about the escalation of symptoms. by the way, i had a sleep study done a few years ago, and no apnea was found. i do snore, and had the study done to rule out apnea, because i often awaken tired.
restless one

jumpyowl

dear restless one

Post by jumpyowl »

sleep apnea is only one of several things a sleep test can rule out or confirm. Did they measure near arousals over 100 times a night? That is periodic limb movement PLM (which I am sure you have) and can be confirmed and severity determined with a sleep test.

You should be on mirapex (a dopamine agonist) as well as klonopin.
Have they checked your plasma ferritin level? :?:
Last edited by jumpyowl on Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

restless one

fruitless sleep study

Post by restless one »

dear jumpyowl-
how wise you seem! the sleep study seemed to be a waste of my time. i did NOT sleep well that night. they basically told me sorry, you did not snore and do not get a cpap machine. what a joke--my snoring has caused many family problems. no mention was made of rls, but truthfully, i did not think of it in relation to the sleep study. in regard to hydrocodone, i can't take it. it causes severe itching and mouth swelling. ultram and wellbutrin also cause the incredible itching, but not swelling. i just read a post on compazine. i was given it once in the e.r. and just about went crazy. my legs took on a life of their own! i just found an announcement in the newspaper about a clinical research study in our city for rls---i think i will call. maybe this is an answer to prayer. hate to say it, but i am skeptical. i am feeling very desperate concerning sleep and my legs. need some hope here! i will try to get a plasma ferritin level. wouldnt it be wonderful if something simple like iron supplements could solve this thing!!! also, will ask the m.d. about mirapex. thanks owl.
restless one

jumpyowl

Pain killer vs sedative

Post by jumpyowl »

Thank you for your prompt reply, restless one. :)

No question you need relief :shock: and it is out there I am sure. The problem that you seem to be allergic to some medications. :(

In regard to hydrocodone, i can't take it. it causes severe itching and mouth swelling. ultram and wellbutrin also cause the incredible itching, but not swelling. i just read a post on compazine. i was given it once in the e.r. and just about went crazy. my legs took on a life of their own!

You mention hydrocodone and ultram, both analgesic. Do you have pain? You also mention wellbutrin, and antidepressant, and compazine (prochlorperazine) which is a phenothiazine derivative, primarily an antiemetic but also have antipsychotic and sedating properties.

Well, if pain is not your primary concern, you do not need an opiate or an antiemetic. Anti-depressants usually exacerbate RLS symptoms, and once you get enough rest you may not need that either.

What I mentioned was klonopin, a benzodiazepine. There are several such sedatives out there (Ativan for one, which is shorter acting than klonopin). They would be a great help in conjunction with Mirapex.

There are several types of medicines which work on the dopamine level in the brain. In view of your allergies, Mirapex would be a better bet than, for example, Sinemet (carbodopa/levodopa), Do not even try that!

i just found an announcement in the newspaper about a clinical research study in our city for rls---i think i will call. maybe this is an answer to prayer.

Fantastic! If I knew what city you live in I could probably guess with greater certainty the medication they will test there. My guess is Requip(ropinirole) which is quite similar to Mirapexand may even have less side effect.

i will try to get a plasma ferritin level. wouldnt it be wonderful if something simple like iron supplements could solve this thing!!!

It sure would and if your ferritin level is lower than 50 mug/ml (or even around 20 mug/ml) there is a good chance it will solve most of your problems. The problem there is that you have to get the iron supplement in such a form that it would be absorbed by the intestines. It has such a promise that clinical research is again discovering it in the form of intravenous supplementation for such iron-deficient patients.

Good luck, restless one, and I hope your MD is willing to work with you. Let us know how your saga is proceeding.
Jumpy Owl

eym

B&D treatment

Post by eym »

I casually heard about RLS and am thrilled because my dad has been suffering from this for 30 years. The bad thing is that we didn't know this had a name, no one has ever diagnosed it as RLS! It has been frustrating. His symptoms are exactly what I have read so far. I am responding to this post because I remeber being 9 years old and using the B&D sander (minus the sand paper) on my dad's legs and also pounding his calves with my fists (I am now 37). This treatment helped him but it never made the pain completely go away. He speaks Spanish and lives in San Juan, Puerto Rico, so I am taking it upon myslef to look over all this info in the website. If anyone has any suggestions, I (and my dad) will be most grateful.