Do Iron tablets help?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
bheming

non-pharmaceutical therapy for me

Post by bheming »

I have been aware of this wonderful foundation RLS for at least 10 years or more. About a year ago, someone shared in a rls newsletter that the combination of B-12, B-6 and Zinc, along with her daily multivitamin, had helped her RLS tremendously. Indeed, within a week or so after I added these three to my daily dose, my jumpy legs settled down to just an occasional bother in the evening. About 6 months ago I added a daily iron tablet to the other three mentioned above, and my jumpy legs have completely stopped. There is one other thing I do to protect my legs: At night I put an extra blanketed weight just on my legs. I do this regardless of the season or room temperature. I also do the same when I am lounging on the couch.

In my family, this is definitely multi-generational. My 85 yr old father especially suffers from PLM/sleep apnea and is on medication along with a CPAP. His mother complained of 'crawly legs' late in her life. My daughter inherited the same. Additionally, my brother and his son are afflicted. My sister, however, and her grown children have never experienced the symptons. Neither has our mother.

I hope sharing what has worked for me so far helps others.