Found an all-natural supplement juice drink that works 4 me

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
lshcat

Found an all-natural supplement juice drink that works 4 me

Post by lshcat »

I wanted to pass along since I hate meds, and taking my codeine.. I started taking this supplement Nutri Aloe drink to help with energy chasing my 2 kids around during the day.. I actually cried when I realized I hadn't had any RLS symptoms from about the second day of taking it.

From the website: 'NutriAloe is a plant-based 100% whole food nutritional supplement with proprietary ingredients and proprietary processing techniques. NutriAloe works in perfect balance with Mother Nature by observing all her laws, guaranteeing all nutrients will be absorbed at the cellular level.'

Lots of poeple claim fewer ailments, better mental acuity, no more peaks/valleys in their moods, etc.. but for me it gives me enough energy to stop fueling with junk food or soda throughout the day! And no RLS!!! I'm hoping it continues to work. Maybe it was the cut in soft drinks too, who knows but I am so thrilled. Feel free to write if you want to try it I can show you where.. msandlsh@yahoo.com.

chocolvr

Ishcat: found natural juice supplement....can I ask a ?

Post by chocolvr »

Hello, I'm new to this, so bear with me. Could you tell me more about the aloe vera supplement you took? How much, when, etc. Do you have other sleep problems? I have sleep apnea (use a cpap-breathing machine), and would like to get off the Lunesta that has been prescribed for my sleep problems. I have some magnesium to try, as well as I think I'll try the warm milk suggested by another author here. My Dr. wants me to keep trying Requip, but I don't like the idea of staying on it....If you'd care to contact me, I'm at:darkchocolvr@yahoo.com or just address it to chocolvr on this forum. Thanks very much! I feel happy to have found this site.[/u]
mrschocolvr

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear choc...

Just a thought to ponder - When trying a homepathic remedy if you find that you have not experienced significant improvement within 30 days time it probably isn't going to work.

Many of us have problems consistently acheiving restorative sleep. I wish you much luck in finding what works for you. I have found that nothing is consistant, so it is handy to have a variety of strategies.

You can also find additional non pharmaceutical therapies for managing RLS at http://www.rlsrebel.com

Take what you like and leave the rest, Hazel

Some remedies that help sleep when taken at bedtime are magnesium (e.g. 100 -- 300 milligrams), calcium (500 -- 600 mg), 5-HTP (100-300mg-takes 6 weeks to work), &/or melatonin (3/10-1mg) at bedtime.

Magnesium, 75 to 250 mg and Calcium, 600 mg at bedtime, helps sleep.

Hydroxy L-tryptophan (5-HTP). Take 200 to 400 mg at night. When used for 6 weeks, a 300 to 400 mg dose has been shown to decrease fibromyalgia pain and often helps people to lose weight. 5-HTP is what your body uses to make serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps improve the quality of sleep and can decrease levels of substance P, your body's pain messenger. The one caution is that if you are taking other treatments that increase serotonin (these include anti-depressants like Prozac(r), St. John's Wort, Ultram(r), Desyrel(r), etc.), limit the 5-HTP to 200 mg at night. It takes 6 to 12 weeks to see the full effect of 5 HTP, and it is more expensive than the other remedies. Nonetheless, it may be worthwhile in treating chronic pain. Also keep in mind that anti depressants are among those medications which are known to aggravate RLS.

Melatonin. This is a hormone produced by the pineal gland. Although it is natural and available over the counter, this does not mean that it is without risk. My concern with any hormone is that although it might be quite safe when used within the body's normal range, I worry about toxicity when people take more than the body would normally make. For most people, all it takes to restore melatonin to normal levels is 1/2 mg. The usual dose you find in stores, however, is 3 mg, which is 6 to 10 times the dose that most people need. Except for a small subset of people, who likely have trouble absorbing it properly, the 1/2 mg dose is every bit as effective for sleep as higher doses. I would use a dose higher than 1/2 mg only if it clearly helps you sleep better than the lower dose.

Delta wave sleep-inducing compact disks or cassettes. To fall asleep, you can play deep sleep-inducing tapes or CDs. If you wake up during the night, you can push your sound system's replay button. Better yet, get a CD or tape player that can replay continuously throughout the night.

These are some things to consider which enhance good sleep hygiene:

Do not consume alcohol near bedtime.

Do not consume any caffeine after 4:00 P.M.

Do not use your bed for problem solving or doing work.

Take a warm bath before bed.

Keep your bedroom cool.

If your partner snores, sleep in a separate bedroom (after tucking in or being tucked in by your partner) or get a good pair of earplugs and use them. The wax plugs that mold to the shape of the ear are often the best ones.

If you frequently wake up to urinate during the night, do not drink a lot of fluids near bedtime. Most pain patients wake during the night because their sleep center is not working properly or because of the pain. Because they also have a full bladder, they think they are waking up because they have to urinate. This is not the case. They are waking up because of their pain syndrome. There is a simple way to remedy this problem. If and when you wake up during the night and you notice your bladder is full, just talk to it (in your mind, so your spouse doesn't think you're nuts) and tell it, "Nighttime is for sleeping. We will go to the bathroom in the morning when it is time to wake up." Then roll over and go back to sleep. If you still have to urinate five minutes later, go to the bathroom. Most of you will find that your bladder will happily go back to sleep, and when you wake up in the morning, you won't even have to urinate as badly as you did when you woke up in the middle of the night.

Put the bedroom clock out of arm's reach and facing away from you so you can't see it. Looking at the clock frequently aggravates sleep problems and is frustrating.

Have a light snack before bedtime. Hunger and hypoglycemia cause insomnia in all animals, and humans are no exception. For your snack, eat foods high in the amino acid tryptophan, such as milk and turkey, which contributes to sleep.
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden