Dietary Supplements: L-thenine

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jumpyowl

Dietary Supplements: L-thenine

Post by jumpyowl »

I found this post on a Yahoo RLS group on this amino acid:

I have just been told about L-thenine by a friend she thought it might help my RLS as it increase dopamine! I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it?

Here is a web site where you can read about it, I just scanned thru
several sites and picked one I thought had the most info about this L-
thenine.

http://www.smartbodyz-vitamins.com/l-theanine-pms-dopamine-Text1.htm

Or you do a search of your own if you wish.

I have not tried it yet, but wanted to check with the group to see if
anyone has tried it and how or if it worked?

Another quote on the amino acid:

Theanine is a caffeine antagonist -- it does the opposite. The effects can readily be seen in EEGs of rodents given caffeine, then theanine. One of the things that theanine changes is GABA -- a brain chemical known for its calming effect. Theanine increases GABA, while caffeine decreases it. GABA doesn’t just relax, it also creates a sense of well-being. Theanine’s ability to increase this brain chemical can put you in a better mood by changing biochemistry. Theanine also increases levels of dopamine -- another brain chemical associated with mood-enhancing effects and increased feelings associated with sex drive.

So this is why tea is more relaxing than cofee! It would be nice if it worked, then we would no longer have to take dopamine agonists! :)
[/b]
Jumpy Owl

jennygirl531

Theanine

Post by jennygirl531 »

OK, I won't say this is a cure by any means, but I have started taking this supplement in the last 2 weeks and it seems to at least be helping me sleep better. It could be coincidental, and another hormonal fluctuation in my case, but I feel it's making a little difference at least, and since I can't take anything else (pg) a little difference is very welcome!

Jenny

jumpyowl

Thanks Jenny!

Post by jumpyowl »

I will try this myself. Did you get it on the internet or in a health store?
Jumpy Owl

Jennygirl531

L-theanine

Post by Jennygirl531 »

Hi Jumpyowl! I bought it at a health food store (Hi-Health). It was about $24 for 60 tablets. I only take 2 at night before bed. Right now I really can't say if it's helping much, though it seemed to at first. It does make me more relaxed and sleepy, and my legs might not be as twitchy since I seem to be getting a little more sleep than usual. The directions say to take 2 every 8 hours as needed (I think) but I don't want to take any more than the 2 at night since I'm pg. Maybe it might work better if you actually did take more during the day. I will say that my symptoms seem to be bothering me more during the day now, which hasn't been the case in the past. Not sure if it's related to the theanine and my sleeping more at night, or just to the weight gain and less mobility. Anyway, if you try it I really hope it helps...

Jenny