Magnets and RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
sardsy75

Magnets and RLS

Post by sardsy75 »

Have "stolen" this out of the post on my own thread from earlier today:

sardsy75 wrote:Has anyone got any comments regarding magnets and RLS? I'm not talking magnetic bracelets, but the heavy duty stuff like magnetic bed underlays/mattress protectors? Has anyone used these and did it affect your RLS in any way?

I ask because it suddenly dawned on me on the weekend that it was the magnetic underlay on the bed I was sleeping on at a friends place was the cause of an horrific attack on the friday night. I was in such distress it wasnt funny. Climbed into the same bed saturday night, within 30 seconds my legs were threatening a repeat performance. So I ripped the protector off the bed, climbed back in and ... no problems ... go figure.

Must be something to do with the vibrational force of the magnets interfering with the central nervous system. Something to do a bit more research about anyway.
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

jep458

Post by jep458 »

I am sleeping on a magnetic matress pad thing that my dad gave me, hoping it would help with my rls. I honestly haven't noticed any difference. I know last night it was so bad I finally had to take a whole klonapin, something I haven't had to do in a couple of months. If it works for you, that's really great!

eliza

Post by eliza »

Ha! I tied them onto the soles of my feet - that was good. I tied them around the calves of my legs - YIKES! I had those things yanked off so fast it would make your head spin!