Any advice for how to get through meetings?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
FidgetBoy

Any advice for how to get through meetings?

Post by FidgetBoy »

Anyone have any advice for what has worked to help them sit and stay still for a while? I use narcotics when I get home from work for my severe RLS and that gets me through until almost noon the next day but I am finding that afternoon meetings are KILLER for me. I can't sit still for more then 30 seconds before my legs start literally moving on their own. My job requires that I go to meetings so I'm interested to know what others have done (without getting up and walking around which isn't really an option for me) Thanks!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Wish I did. Have you had every tried calcium, magnesium, B-complex, folic acid, E, or tyrosine? It just occured to me that I take certain things at bedtime because they DO help my RLS a little. I need a little more drugs than when I take them.

So, maybe one or more of these would help just enough during the day that you could get through a meeting. You have to experiment, but everything I listed are things that more than 1 person has found effective. I've tried all of these, but for me, the magnesium and B-complex has been effective. I've just never tried it during the day.

Some people find tyrosine to work within 15 minutes or so. NADH is another one that people have found effective, but since it's a dopamine increasing thing, it's probably not good for you.

It can't hurt to try these. Let us know if you find a solution.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Post by Guest »

Can you just stand up? I am in a position where this is possible for me to do.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Not certain what narcotics you are using, but would your doctor consider prescribing an additional one for the afternoons? I take a low dose of Ultram for daily RLS... and a low dose of hydrocodone at bedtime.

Using the supplements might be helpful...

Other than that, it is difficult to manage RLS sensations if the meetings are boring and how many meetings have we found that keep us mentally stimulated! I have found that nothing alternative really works long term...

Though I'll be rowing for you and the others stirring up hope that you find some relief! Hazey
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Hi folks! I actually haven't tried the calcium/other supplements route but I think now would be a good time to try them. If I can just get a handle on my symptoms from ~1'ish to 6pm then my life would be a lot better. I could try a small dose of narc or small dose of ultram in the afternoon but I'm afraid of driving home on that stuff. :| I actually have a stressful job and don't eat well at all so maybe vitamins/supplements make sense? I'll try the ones you mentioned, Ann, and let you know how it goes. Josh

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Josh,

Have you done other lifestyle stuff?

Eliminated caffeine?

Get some regular exercise, but not too much?

Checked your diet for anything that might set you off (sugar and gluten can make RLS worse for some - one of our members found out her hypoglycemia was causing the RLS - once it was under control, she was much better)?

Considered if your clothes may be contributing (for me, tight things set off RLS in a meeting - like pantyhose - so I will not wear them; other people like those medical grade stockings because they keep the RLS at bay)?

I haven't taken Ultram, but most people on the message boards say that it gives them energy and keeps them awake. In fact, many can't take it at night as they feel wired. Maybe it doesn't work for you that way, but if you haven't tried it, it might be worth taking a time or two when you don't have to drive - like on a day off while at home - to see how it affects you.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Interesting-- I would of thought ultram makes you sleepy... maybe I'll be wired too? That would be GREAT in the later afternoons. :D I'll try the supplements and if that doesn't work, I'll see if I can get my family MD to write for ultram.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Josh,

Stress and diet... may be a place to improve. when you are young you tend to not take things seriously as diet... Even if you find out you aren't experiencing hypoglecemia or celiac... It might be helpful if you looked at what you are eating and when. I know that junk food high sugar snacks can lead to that high glucose spike then crash which can leave one lathargic... high carbs may not be processed in the body till 2 hours after eating which can make one feel very lathargic.

stress can contribute to RLS as we all know, and learning a few relaxation movements (tai chi, yoga breathing exercises) might be more helpful than you think and take relatively little time.

Like Ann said if you do decide to try meds, it is always best to try them when you have no commitments... low dose of Ultram has not affected me adversely, has really eliminaged the rls sensations, but darn it I have no extra energy from it, which would be an added bonus!

Thanks for sharing in the other forums, I am learning a lot from your posts.

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

DrWass2

meetings, how go get through

Post by DrWass2 »

Have you tried the support stockings. Or better yet, real medical grade compression stockings. Really works for me. Everyone has to at least try this. If you get the feeling that wrapping an ace bandage around the area would help then the stockings should do the job. Sometimes this is the only way I can get to sleep at night. If you are a male, dont't worry, just do it, and if it works, its what you need. Keep it as your little secret. No one can tell so don't worry about it. PM me if you need further info.
I'd rather wear stockings then put up with all the side effects of medicine.
I wish everyone would at least give it a try, before outright dismissal. Also log in here and report on the results. Most people seem to get some help this way. try It and let me know. Again, if you need help, PM me.
I don't check in here often, so you may have to wait for the reply.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi Josh,
Dr. Wass is right about the temporary help things like that can provide.
When flying I normally have to wrap my legs in ace bandages with a one time use heating pad on each thigh. Even with meds., it just hurts me to fly.
I have used the compression socks that he talks about too. 15-20 bucks at most drug stores or Wally World, i used my hubby's from last years surgery. Also they can have them that look like socks, so no one would know.
This does not always help with my pain, but it's a good trick to have over all to try.
Hope all is well with you all.
Lynne

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

If you feel that ace bandages ( compression) makes it better then the real compression stockings should really help. These are much tighter and better fitting then just "support" stockings. They must be fitted by carefull measurments of anke, calves, and thigh and then a selection of compression levels. Light and usual are 8mm... I need 20-30mm stockings. Wearing your husbands stockings from his surgery may not be the right size for you unless you have similar leg dimenstions. The ones i like the best , sheer, and not feeling heavy but very compressive and reasonable priced are from ameswalker. NO I have no interest in this company, It is just what I have found and helps me. A google search will give you links to companies selling all the popular brands. They can range up to $85 a pair, so thats Why I like the ones I use , about $15. I did a lot of physical research buying all kinds of brands and sizes on ebay, and found what works for me. It just seems so logical, that it would help and it does for me and appearently for a lot of people who finially did try it and responded on this site.
We can do the research right here if we can just get eveyone to give it a real shot and report back here. I will try to help anyway I can.

FidgetBoy

Post by FidgetBoy »

Just wanted to give an update- I've been taking ca + mg at night and have noticed a difference even after only 5 doses! I still have to take the narcotics at night but am noticing a BIG difference during the day. I'm not sure why that is except to say that I'm thankful. Thanks for the suggestion!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That's great. I find I can cut my opiods by about 1/5th when I take the magnesium and B at night. I wish I would remember the calcium, but I forgot to take it during the day, and it doesn't seem to help me at night if I take it then.

Managing Your RLS

doety

good luck

Post by doety »

I'm hoping that solution is still working for you. I finally retired from a desk job, where I had to attend meetings every day. Even when i was in a long one in the morning, I would stand up. Thank goodness, there were at least two respected men who also would eventually stand up -- one because of pain from an accident. I just know the same thing happened in the meetings that always happens to me on airplanes. The psychological component kicks in, I become embarassed and think everyone's looking at me, that makes it worse and i get into an endless, frustrating, ridiculous circle where I just want to die. I'm working from home now where I have no meetings (don't want to meet with myself) and I can get up anytime I like. I reject all invitations to join boards (they have meetings!!) and that sort of thing. I finally decided life was too short to torture myself with that stuff. I understand that's probably not an option for you, and i'm lucky I was able to do it.
Just know that you have lots of people who understand your situation and empathize with you. They should put treadmills in the boardrooms.

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Couple of thoughts and/or questions. Is your employer aware of your condition? If so, maybe they could work with you in coming up with some accomodations that would help. If not, would you be willing to share some information with your employer in the hopes that some alternatives to sitting might be available. I suppose if the meetings were typically in the same place that might help developing some strategies. Not real practical but if the meetings are in the same place and take place at a large table would one of the very small cylce devices be practical. That way, you could sit and peddle when you needed to but still participate.

Don't know how long the meetings or your symptoms last but would you able to do some walking or light exerciese before the meetings (assuming this would help for a while). Some have had luck with ointments and the such for brief periods so maybe that is worth looking into--particularly the greasless/non aromatic ones. I also wondered about a "tens" unit. These can be relatively inconspicuous. One or two have indicated some success with these units though, as always, it has not worked for others.

I also think that Sinemet might be worth considering particularly if it is not something you would need to take everyday but only periodically as to avoid the augmentation and rebound effects that come with regular usuage. Maybe you could use this for only the really important meetings, away meetings, or meetings where some other accomodation might not be available. I keep some Sinemet handy for plays or movies just in case. Usually works quite well and speedily. Would a longer, lasting opiod be an alternative so you have some in your system throughout the day. Again, may depend on the frequency of meetings and how often you need "something" else.

Don't know if there is any opportunity for you to "do" something at the meetings such as handing out materials, manning the coffee table or othewise assitsting that might give you some brief relief or at the least the opportunity to move.

Perhaps because I tend to be more optimisticby nature and also have had good employer relationships in the past, it has been my experience that employers are ofter willing to try accomodations particularly when it results in a job well done.

At worst, hope this may give you some additional thoughts.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.