The RLS Water Cure

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Lorien

The RLS Water Cure

Post by Lorien »

I am 43 and have been suffering with insidious RLS for at least 26 years - from the recurring agony of restless legs while seated in a lecture hall or theater to the onset of the maddening waves RLS discomfort while in bed.

Happily, I have found a reliable cure for the occurance of RLS that has helped me enormously over several years now - especially as a means to stop RLS while in bed.

THE RLS WATER CURE

1. Step in your bath and take a warm/hot shower for 1-2 minutes being sure to spray the entire length of your legs with warm/hot water.

2. Then, switch water temperature fully to cold and spray your lower legs (from the knee down ONLY - shins, calves and feet) for about 30-45 seconds.

3. Step out of the shower and dry yourself and your legs with an upward movement.

Upon returning to bed, you will find your legs completely refreshed and, finally, at peace! It has worked for me virtually without fail, even when my RLS 'bed legs' are particularly bad due to alcohol consumption, MSG, rigorous exercise, etc.

The technique may have the effect of pumping blood upwards similar to alternating hot/cold footbaths after a sauna.

Free yourself from RLS with The Water Cure!

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Lorien,

Thanks for posting. I read about this technique elsewhere (amybe a post of yours) and have tried it a few times when the RLS was particularly awful. I wish I could say that I had the same luck as you! It does stop the RLS temporarily (as do many other similar techniques), but not enough for me to go back to sleep.

Glad you found that board and welcome.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Ronda

Post by Ronda »

Thanks Lorien,

I tried this last night as I was at a point that I would have spread peanut butter on my legs had someone told me it would work. I did get instant pain relief and was able to have a pretty good nights rest. I own a restaurant and it seems my aches are much worse after working 12 - 14 hour days. Thanks again
Ronda

LadyAwake

I will try

Post by LadyAwake »

I was always going to try this, but hadn't yet. It makes sense. I have used the Hot/Cold water therapy for my arms when my arms fall asleep at night while in bed to get the blood circulating again. It always works and my arms feel better. It's part of a repetitive motion syndrome (carpul tunnel like symptoms) that I have with my wrists. It should also help with the legs. Thanks for bringing that to attention.

Joby924

Used this for Migraine Relief

Post by Joby924 »

I actually used to do this for severe headache pain and/or migraines.
I would bend over the tub and stick my head under the faucet with the water as hot as I could tolerate it. This would intensify the head pain but I would only do this for @1minute.
After 1 minute I would reach up and shut off the hot water, immediately changing to water temperature to ICE COLD!
The headache would disappear - like a miracle!
The only problem?? @75% of the time, as soon as I removed my head from the cold water, the headache returned. BUT, anyone that has ever suffered from severe headaches/migraines know that you are desperate for relief at times. I imagine the same holds true for most when dealing with RLS - I know it does for me!
So thank you. I most certainly will try this. Relief for 3-5minutes is better than no relief at all.

ctravel12

the rls water cure

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Joby924. Welcome to this site. I hope that you are able to find some relief. You have found a wonderful and supportive group. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Have a good day, and again welcome.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

brandy

Post by brandy »

Thanks for the tip. I know we say this all the time, but we need to keep in mind that what works for one might not work for the other. At the same time, we are always looking for new things to try to make our symptoms tolerable. Appreciate you sharing.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

becat

Post by becat »

Brandy This is what Jill Gunzell (RLS REBEL) was saying at the meeting.
She suggested that we keep a notebook to save ideas good and bad. But your right, what doesn't work right now, may later.
Lynne

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Hi there, I had found that putting my feet into a bucket of really cold water for about 10 minutes would give relief for a good hour. Tho wondered how I would deal with this and where I would get a bucket in a hotel when I go on hols in a few weeks to Canada... don't want to give a crazy view of the Irish !! This sounds like a good idea, why did I never think of this myself, a hot shower then really cold around my legs.
thanks, will try this tonight. Ta .. Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

bbrock

Post by bbrock »

I had a very important exam early in the morning and was up at 3 AM with a horrible rls episode. I got in the shower and sprayed my legs with hot water for about 20 minutes, then shocked them with cold water for about 20 seconds (as described in the beginning of this post).

It was enough to let me go to sleep. Hope this helps someone else.

jarvisbasnite

water cure

Post by jarvisbasnite »

This reminds me of what my track and field coach had us do in high school the first few weeks of training. He called it "hot, cold showers". Basically you showered with the water as hot as you could stand it for as long as you could stand it, and then for as cold as you could stand it for as long as you could stand it , and then repeat as many times as you could stand it. I believe his theory behind this hot/cold method was that it relieved lactic acid that would build up in your muscles especially in the early part of the season when you were really breaking your body down to be more successful later in the season. Rabe

jarvisbasnite

water cure

Post by jarvisbasnite »

I did this with my bath before bed last night and achieved 6hrs of deep REM, uninterupted sleep and feel even more refreshed this morning that usual. Rabe

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

Interesting!

I knew about having a nice warm bath, but not so much about the hot/cold method.

It's coming into winter here and the night temps are already dropping rather low so I'll have to be careful with my shower timing the next time my brain/legs are driving me nuts ... there's five people livin in this house and if you're the one who gets to the shower first, then uses the bulk of the hot water ... nuff said!

Will certainly give it a go though. Used to do it years ago when I went to the gym 7 days a week. Come home have a hot/cold shower, and it was really refreshing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got sideswiped with an attack a last week and got early enough warnings that it was coming (unusual!), so took off for a walk with Zena, our Rotty. It was more a case of her taking me for a walk :roll:

I don't usually get the chance to try and "walk off" an attack I get "hit" so quickly and severely.

We did about 2kms, and it kinda settled them, but not enough to stop me from pounding them with my fists half an hour later.

Oh well ... gotta keep tryin!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!