Does Chiropracic help?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Snowyegret

Does Chiropracic help?

Post by Snowyegret »

Hi, everyone. I'm new (logged in today but have visited a couple of times before) here. I'd like to share something and hopefully someone out there can give me some help.

Through the gym where I exercise they had a guest speaker who was a Doctor of Chiropractic. She gave everyone a free pass for a free concultation and exam. I fell for it. :( After telling her about my RLS and a couple other problems she said that she could help and took some xrays. A couple of visits later she sat down with me to show me my xrays and to go over a "plan of action". At the bottom of my spine there seems to be a little curve and she states that this is what is causing my RLS because they communicate to the nerves that go down the legs. The "plan of action" was a 6 month to a year worth of visits at the cost (no insurance coverage) $2300. Has anyone ever heard of this before??? I was able to borrow the xrays (to show my husband) and I took them to my doctor at Kaiser. She is setting me up with Occupational Therapy to check my spine and how I have one hip higher than the other. She didn't think Chiropractic would help my RLS.

The only good thing out of this visit was that she had me start taking CalMag Plus (you mix 1 teaspoon into a drink) and take right before I go to bed. This is helping me some, better than before I took it. It has 319mg of Magnesium and 118mg of Calcium.

The other thing I wanted to add about my RLS is that the neuraligist (sp?) that diagnosed me this past year said that my RLS is different from what she's seen before. My RLS starts acting up BEFORE I go to bed, usually after dinner when I finally sit down to relax and maybe watch some TV or a movie. It makes sitting down to relax hard sometimes. Does anyone else have that problem?

Thank you for listening to me. I'm only 38yrs old but have had these symtoms for almost 20yrs. I just never knew what was wrong with me until I finally had enough and saw the doctor earlier this year. Now I just want as much info as I can get.

Snowyegret

Sole

Post by Sole »

Hi Snowy!

Welcome to the group. I'm glad you found us. Sorry it has to be because of RLS but rest easy. You are in excellent company. No part of your story is unusual. Not to say it isn't a horrible disorder to contend with but everything you wrote is very familiar.

I am 33. I've suffered with RLS since I was 19. Before I start, let me say that anyone who says they can cure your RLS is lying or uninformed. There is not cure yet but there ARE many things, Pharmicuetical and non-pharm that can help relieve symptoms. Yes, chiropractic treatments do help relieve my symptoms temporarily. In fact, I have an appointment on Monday. I have one hip that's higher than the other also. $2300 sounds outrageous to me. I spent $48 for my first appointment plus $70 for the exrays and only $28 each visit now. And my chiropractor has never mad claims to be able to cure me. Relief is always the goal. I have also used Cal-Mags and find relief with it, when my RLS is very mild. When it's moderate to severe it doesn't help at all.

The only treatments I've had that work to relieve my symptoms on a regular basis are medications. There are many to choose from. I am taking Mirapex, which is an anti-parkinsons medication and Ristoril (Temazepam) which is a sleep aid.

Your nuero must not be very informed about RLS because there are MANY of us who suffer with RLS during the day. Anytime I go to sit at the computer or watch tv, ride in the car or sit in a restaurant, my legs act up. Even with the medication, I can still tell the RLS is there, wanting to come out. So no, experiencing symptoms during the day is not strange.

I hope this helps you a little. Please keep reading the site. There is soooo much information here. The different publications under the "Medical & Scientific Info" link are full of invaluable information. There are others here, like Jumpy and Sardsy, who have mountains of information and links that I'm sure they'll be willing to share with you.

Again, welcome. :-)
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

Snowyegret

Post by Snowyegret »

Wow! Thanks for the reply so quickly. I'm glad I don't have a weird case of RLS but I'd be happier if I didn't have it at all. :D

I had a hard time believing everything I was being told by the Chiropractic doctor. Some made alot of sense but some didn't. My husband thought it was all a con-job. Do you mind if I ask how often you go to you Chiroprator? What do they do for you? Mine was going to have there 3 days a week, plus two full massages a month, and electroid therapy of some sort. And each visit was going to be $55.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to read as much as I can without becoming a paranoid nut :) I'll come back from time to time.

Snowyegret

becat

hi there

Post by becat »

Hi Snowy,
I'm Becat, a lifer. My RLS bio is on page one of the New/Current members thread in NEW TO RLS. If you'd like you are welcome to write a short bio as well, we were working here together to fight this RLS. You bio might be helpful to our New research project.
As for the Chirapractor.........love mine. He's not a "you'll need a contract and this many visits" kind of guy. I think you just found a money nut. There are very good ones out there. I think for me it helps to remind my bones where they should go.........muscles stay so tense with RLS.
I could be wrong but, most of the population has a leg slightly shorter. Making the hips not level. I've got a short leg and there are days I add a lift to my shoe to help.
I'm glad your here to share with us. Rotten reason to find us, but we all help each other.
take care.

Sole

Post by Sole »

Snowyegret wrote:Wow! Thanks for the reply so quickly. I'm glad I don't have a weird case of RLS but I'd be happier if I didn't have it at all. :D

I had a hard time believing everything I was being told by the Chiropractic doctor. Some made alot of sense but some didn't. My husband thought it was all a con-job. Do you mind if I ask how often you go to you Chiroprator? What do they do for you? Mine was going to have there 3 days a week, plus two full massages a month, and electroid therapy of some sort. And each visit was going to be $55.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to read as much as I can without becoming a paranoid nut :) I'll come back from time to time.

Snowyegret

I don't mind you asking at all. If I wait longer than six months, I've waited too long. It's not unusual to need more adjustments in the beginning. 2-3 adjustments in a week to, as becat, said, remind your bones where they go. That's what I did in the beginning. Then I would go once a month. Ideally, I should go once every four months or so but I wait too long. So what will probably happen is I'll go in and then go again in a couple of days. Then I'll be set for several more months. I failed to mention that I started out needing chiropractic care after I was hit by a car when I was 14.

At my visits, he adjusts my hips, my neck and my back. I've never had a massage but ooooh how I'd love to.

Becoming educated about RLS doesn't mean you'll become paranoid. I understand not wanting to be obsessive but, trust me, if you educate yourself, you'll be your very best healthcare advocate because RLS is still such a mystery to most physicians...as your neuro has proven. Good luck!
Sole

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

jan3213

Welcome Snowyegret!

Post by jan3213 »

Hi! This is Jan

Sole wrote:

Becoming educated about RLS doesn't mean you'll become paranoid. I understand not wanting to be obsessive but, trust me, if you educate yourself, you'll be your very best healthcare advocate because RLS is still such a mystery to most physicians...as your neuro has proven.

Sole is sooooo right!!! You'd be surprised how many medical personnel still do not really know what RLS is. You are your own best advocate, as Sole said. I'm so glad you found us. As you can already see, by the posts you've already received above, there are people on this forum ready, willing, and ABLE to help you. Thre are many more: some who only have their own personal experience to offer, a shoulder to lean on, and an ear to listen ANY TIME you need to vent (like me); some who are extremely good at researching anything from medical personnel in any area to answering questions you might have; and some who are extremely helpful in matters of medication (only suggestions!). We are a good bunch of caring people. And, we care about anything that may be bothering you--not just your RLS. We are a great group of friends. You've found a home!!!

Jan

jan3213

Jan again

Post by jan3213 »

By the way, my bio is on page 1/New to RLS/New Members and Current Members Please Help. ALMOST FORGOT!!!

Once again, WELCOME!!!!

Jan