I'm awake and new to this group.

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Simcha

I'm awake and new to this group.

Post by Simcha »

Hi! As you might imagine, it's 2:00 AM and I'm having a bout with RLS. Two Valarians, bowl of cereal, hot bath, and finally I found this wonderful discussion board. I probably won't get much sleep but I do feel better knowing that (A) I'm not crazy (B) other people are up now with jumpy legs, and (C) there are treatments I can try.

The Black and Decker massage post was wonderful, made me laugh! I even tried sleeping with a bar of wrapped soap under the sheets because someone said it worked for their RLS. If I plug in the sander, my husband will really think I've lost my marbles.

I'm trying to stay off RX meds as long as possible and am in the process of replacing Paxil with Xanax. I take extra magnesium and calcium.

I've had RLS since childhood (I'm 52) and it has not been too severe.

Thank goodness for the research and boards like these.

:shock: -Simcha

claradragon

Hi Simcha

Post by claradragon »

Welcome,
Sorry you've had to but glad you found us.

I gather from your post that you don't particularly want to take medications which is understandable, some of them are heavy duty!So here's a link to a site that has excellent advice on how to combat and survive rls:
http://www.rlsrebel.com/

The other thing to do is read,read,read and read some more...knowledge is power! I've learned so much by just reading and exploring the links, and the advice and support of other members is invaluable.

My bio is on pg1/new to rls/new members and current members please help. We are trying to gather information to help ourselves and others so if you would like to please leave your bio there too,it also makes an easy reference for yourself and others rather than having to repeat your meds,symptoms etc every time you post and you can update at any time using the edit option (you have to be logged on to do that) or just fill a new bio out and change your page number when you post.

Once again welcome...you are not alone and no you're not crazy :wink:

Post by Guest »

Thank you, RLS Rebel was helpful. I will leave more info on my profile.
-Simcha