wanted to share this with the group

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ctravel12

wanted to share this with the group

Post by ctravel12 »

I wanted to share this with the group. My husband wanted to lose some weight and we decided to go on the "South Beach Diet" and do not know if it is my imagination or not (as this plan teaches you to eat the right carbs/fat) and since I have been on it (which has been three (3) weeks) my legs are not bothering me as bad as they were and I have more energy. I have said in the past that what works for one may not work for others, but is certainly worth a try. Thanks for listening to me.
Charlene

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Dear Charlene,

I am so glad that you are doing better! And more energy to boot! That is great! Regardless of who we are I do believe that improving our eating habits can help in many ways.

It is all these little tips and tricks together that helps us live with RLS. Hope that you continue to improve!

and **********Positive Energy********** for both you and your husband!

Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

CT, many people have mentioned sugar/carbs as triggers to RLS over the years. There is a great post somewhere with a link to it about how hypoglycemia can trigger RLS and the cure? A no-sugar, low carb diet.

Glad it's working for you!
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

neelia

Post by neelia »

Interesting...less sugar, less caffeine, less alcohol...sounds like a tough change but probably worth it.

mwade1

Physical and neurological?

Post by mwade1 »

Just wanted to add that even though many believe our RLS to be neurological, there are some purely physical things which help or hurt the symptoms. I've found overeating triggers symptoms, and it seems to be the fullness rather than what I got full on that causes it. If that be true, it seems like a loss of weight might change something physically that could reduce symptoms. It's certianly worth a try, and in my case, the weight loss would clearly be a good thing for many reaons.

I think there could easily be 3 or 4 things that happen to our minds and bodies with weight loss and general fitness that just might improve RLS. Nothing to lose; everything to gain.

Good luck and God bless us every one.
Smile! If it doesn't help you, and it likely will, it surely will help someone else!!!
Just Mike!