Whole body vibrators (Solaflex)

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
floflotrap

Whole body vibrators (Solaflex)

Post by floflotrap »

I've suffered from RLS for the past 45 years (now 69). I do get relief from Permax...but hate taking meds of any kind. Unfortunately I cannot lie down for more than 10 minutes without the symptoms starting up and keeping me from falling asleep. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of or tried the Soloflex Whole Body Vibrator and if it has helped with RLS? The home unit seems a little more reasonable in price than the ERE and other stimulator type devices out there. Also good for more physical exercise programs. But I would hate investing that much money for something that won't help relieve the problem.
Flo

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

Flo,

This is a difficult one... We have a homedics vibrator chair ... and I have some hand held devices and they do help... temporarily... once I stopped the sensations were back ... I don't know, If you could use this for an extended period of time which would allow you to fall asleep with it on ... I know from time to time If I left it on I could doze off...

Any of these things are helpful in living with RLS meds free, however they will not always be affective ... have you read through the Jll Gunzel's RLS rebels website on alternative therapies to help manage RLS without medication?

rlsrebel.com

***********positive thoughts****************

Hopefully someone who has found this helpful will respond... Hazel
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation.

Music can be made anywhere, is invisible and does not smell. --W H Auden

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I know I'm replying to an old topic, I'm new here so all of this is new to me. I've had RLS for about 3 years.

I have a Homedic vibrator/massager that fits over my chair. I've had it for years just sitting on an old recliner and rarely use it, but last night my symptoms hit early and hard so after seeing this thread, I plugged it back in and tried it out, and wonder of wonders, I got some relief for a few hours until I went to bed (with my meds). I was actually able to lay on my couch and watch TV comfortably for a change.

Going to try 20 minutes in that chair in the early evenings every night and see if it wasn't just a fluke. Here's hoping

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Isn't that a great feeling? (finding something that helps????) Here's hoping it's not a fluke and works for a long time to come.

Welcome to the board.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Well after a week of using the Homedic massager, it seems to have been a fluke. It worked somewhat the 2nd and 3rd try, 4th and 5th, no noticeable difference and once it made it worse. My RLS has been more active lately (spring fever no doubt, except we only get teasers of warmer days and then right back to freezing)

So, not really an everyday non-pharm remedy, but it does seem to work on occasion.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Drats. That seems to be somewhat common with non-pharm stuff. Weird how that is...
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

edd666666

Post by edd666666 »

I use a vibrating massage pad every night and it always works to reduce the RLS enough that I can get to sleep.