Updates- tyrosine, glutamine etc

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
georger

Updates- tyrosine, glutamine etc

Post by georger »

Hello all,
It's been a while since I last communicated how I have been treating my RLS. I wanted to follow up with the things that are working for me and new things that I have found.

About NADH, I started with using it once a day seven or eight months ago and I do feel that it helped my dopamine levels and made it possible to lower my mirapex usage.

However, after I started with NADH, I added Tyrosine 500mg with 500mg acetaminephine (sp?) twice a day......usually both doses in the evening. Early evening and before I go to bed. This has worked excellently for me and I have kept this up religiously for probably at least 7 months, with consistently good results. I find Tyrosine relieves my urge to move my legs at night.

I was able to lower my mirapex to .04 mg in the evening, which is low enough that I don't feel side effects of it.

So....my story continues....after this I found medical research about Glutamine, stating that it plays a part in dopamine and muscle function. So I added it. I have to say that I totally love it also. When I was on just Tyrosine I still had painful legs every day and was not walking long distances when I could avoid it. But after I started taking Glutamine I have complete leg comfort again.

After taking Tyrosine, Glutamine and the small amount of Mirapex - I lowered the amount that I take NADH and found that I could skip days and my leg health was fine. So at this point I just take it a few times a week, mostly because I believe it is helpful, even if I don't absolutely have to have it.

I really have healed alot of my RLS symtoms with the ammino acid supplements (glutamine and tyrosine). As I said, I still take .04 mg of Mirapex. I have tried to stop taking it, but my legs still need it.

The best news is that because of the supplements, my legs no longer hurt and they do not keep me awake. I stretch and exercise and do some yoga. I eat pretty healthy.

Thanks for all the updates. I am reading other recommendations that are new on the boards.

Sherry

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

That is excellent, Sherry! I've wondered how you were doing. Glad to see you back.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

xzqx

Post by xzqx »

Any idea whether these would be safe for someone who's pregnant/trying to get pregnant?

ctravel12

updates tyrosine, glutamine etc

Post by ctravel12 »

With never having children, I am not any help in the prenancy department; however you can look at the forum "Special Populations" as they have posts there for pregnancy and meds. Did not see anything for the subject, but may of overlooked it.. I would check with your dr first before making any decisions on what meds to take. I am sure we have quite a few members who were pregnant and/or pregnant now that can give you some insight on this. I hope this helps you. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Good advice Charlene. Asking a doc would be the best bet. If Josh is around, he might know, though. I guess you could probably to a search on the Internet, too. there must be some site that lists the drugs/supplements that are OK during pregnancy.

Oh, maybe this site will help. it lists drug interactions - maybe it has them for conditions, too, like pregnacy.

http://www.caremark.com/wps/portal/DRUG_INTERACTIONS
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.