Estroven

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
hypnotode

Estroven

Post by hypnotode »

I've been taking Estroven for about a year. It's a blend of vitamins and herbs, including black cohosh, and has been documented to reduce menopausal symptoms. I noticed a dramatic decrease in hot flashes right away, and so have continued to take it, usually in the evening. I ran out on Sunday, and I haven't been able to make it to the store, but here's the kicker: my RLS has been MUCH better all week.

So at least for me, Estroven = BAD.

:)
Neurontin, Trileptal, Cymbalta, and Flexeril work for me.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

I've seen it advertised - I wonder if it in some ways increases hormones that make RLS worse. . . hmmm.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

georger

Post by georger »

That is interesting. Something that just don't understand is that - I take .05 Mirapex and since the very first day I started using it, I started having "warm flashes" in the middle of the night....usually sometime between 2 and 4pm. In general Mirapex makes me feel too warm at night. But, if I stop taking it, that symptom is gone completely. My neurologist said he had never heard of that before.

Anyway, I guess I think it's because the dopamine is triggering something hormonally.....hmmmmmm I just don't know.

Sherry

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sherry, it's got to be the Mirapex (because it screwed up my thermostat, too) - but I don't know what it's doing. For me it was slightly different. I would be freezing when I went to sleep - literally blankets piled on top of me. I would wake up in the night, and within seconds I would start to warm up. Within a minute or two I was sweating. I would take off everything, including clothing, and lay there feeling like I was in the desert. It would take from 10-30 minutes to cool off. I couldn't sleep until I was cool.

Bizarre :roll:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ctravel12

estroven

Post by ctravel12 »

That is interesting as when I was taking Requip I would wake up in the middle of the night sweating something awful which I usually do not do. I am not taking requip anymore and the problem has stopped. It is really wierd how some meds effect your body.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

i do that now taking sinemet, i go to bed feeling like a popsicle and in about 5 or 10 minutes i am burning up, throwing off all the covers. that is bizarre

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945