Raw Food Diet Cured My Restless Legs

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jimmcar

Raw Food Diet Cured My Restless Legs

Post by jimmcar »

I originally posted this note in the General Topics area but I received almost no response so I'm trying again in a different area. I am mystified by the lack of response because if I heard about a cure for RLS I know I would be VERY interested.
What turns me off about Levadopa, even though it worked for me to a certain extent, is that it is manipulating brain chemistry. And there are a whole host of unintended consequences that result.
Anyway, here is my post again. I know that what works for one person doesn't always work for another but I have to put this out. It has made such a big difference for me. I would say that my sleep is 95% normal now.

I have waited five months to write this. I wanted to make sure that it was really working and not just a momentary help. I have been eating only raw food (mostly, but not strictly vegetarian) for five months and I no longer suffer from RLS.
I am so happy with this change in my life. I have had RLS for fifteen years and it has only gotten worse and worse. For 13 years I tried every alternative therapy and treatment available, from past life regression to mega-dose vitamins. Finally, it got so bad I went to the hospital and started taking LevaDopa. But I really didn't like taking something that messes with my brain chemistry.
To stop taking medication now is just simply wonderful. But I know that what works for one person doesn't always work for another. I want to put this out and see if anybody else has had the same experience and also to encourage others to try it.
About five months ago I met some people who have been eating only raw food for years. They were quite evangelical about it and could only talk about how good they feel and how important it is for people to learn about the benefits of raw food.
I decided to learn more and spent two weeks at the Ann Wigmore Institute in Puerto Rico. I thought I knew a lot about nutrition and the body. I learned a lot more there and became convinced of the benefits of the raw diet.
In my first three days at the Institute eating only raw (they feed you a very simple and cleansing raw diet to start) I was able to reduce my medication by 50%. After one week I stopped it completely and have not used it since - except for a trip I took to Cuba where I ate three or four cooked meals and drank some of their excellent coffee. My RLS came back almost immediately. But after returning to my home and getting back to a raw diet, my sleep became good again.
I am experimenting all the time to see what I can get away with. After I returned from Cuba I started drinking one cup of coffee a day. After about a week of that I began to feel a very slight amount of RLS. I stopped the coffee and the RLS stopped.
I would encourage anybody to try this diet. Just be sure that you do your research and eat properly so that you get all the nutrients you need. Raw food doesn't mean only eating salads and fruits. Also, before you switch to a 100% raw diet you need to prepare your body with a cleanse so that you are able to absorb all the nutrients of a raw diet. People who have spent their whole lives eating the SAD (Standard American Diet) will have a little difficulty transitioning to a living foods diet.
But never fear - there are lots of creative and tasty things you can eat that are full of protein and all the other nutrients you need.
Even if I wasn't afflicted with RLS I would still want to eat raw because I am now convinced of the great benefits of the diet - but without the motivation of RLS I don't think that I would ever be able to stick with it. I do love my Hagen Daz! But I like to sleep more than I like ice cream or cooked food.
Please let me know if anybody else has tried eating raw and what effect it had on your restless legs.

Good web sites for more info:
http://www.living-foods.com/
www.annwigmore.org

Post by Guest »

I have noticed myself that food can intensify RLS. I think the lack of response to your notice, is that, most people including myself could not envisage living on a raw food diet. What about eating meat have you given up on it all together! If you have time I would be interested about what sort of meals you prepare and how you handle eating out etc.

Anyway it is good to hear that you have found a cure for yourself.

Regards,

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

I originally posted this note in the General Topics area but I received almost no response so I'm trying again in a different area. I am mystified by the lack of response because if I heard about a cure for RLS I know I would be VERY interested

I, too was surprised by a lack of response. I can only speak for myself, whom is a skeptic's skeptic. Your post impressed me more as testimonial, ala commercial, than an altruistic narration of a successful program. I'm not claiming you have an ulterior motive, I'm merely relating what was my reception to your message.

If you, indeed, achieved success through your diet I say more power to you. However, as much as I attempt in my daily living to avoid pharmaceuticals, largely for the reasons you state, I recognize that they have a necessary role in society. Of course levidopa affects chemistry in the brain. So do the myriad of afflictions that effect undesirable physiological functions.

Anyway, I don't think I'd like my burgers, steaks and chops raw. :wink:

Neph

dogeyed

response to raw food diet

Post by dogeyed »

I think raw food diets are cool. I am a vegetarian, and I sometimes think the reason the world is so goofed up is because the meat we eat is shot full of unnecessary hormones and because animal factories force the poor creatures to live in cages and small quarters. Of course, plenty of vegies have poisons on them, too, so... Still, since I've been a vegie for 10 years now, I notice how wild and angry the world seems.

As for your results in it curing your RLS, I think I will try more raw vegies for a while. I am in remission on account of some pain meds at the moment, or I else would jump all over that diet you suggest. While you were in Cuba, did you get bit by any insects? I sort of think bug bites may have something to do with RLS. Additionally, did you wear different shoes in Cuba? I also think injured feet may have something to do with RLS. I wore some old shoes that a nail had come thru and hurt my heel without realizing it, and boy did that heel hurt for so long without my knowing why!

There is some kind of form on this site that folks are filling out, I assume to try to narrow down the commonalities of those who have RLS. I don't fill those sorts of things out, but you might want to. I wonder if it's got anything in there about foot injuries, footwear, and bug bites. gg