T.E.N.S unit for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
babydragon0

T.E.N.S unit for RLS

Post by babydragon0 »

I was wondering if anyone has tried a T.E.N.S unit to treat their RLS and if they had any success with it?

I'm thinking about talking to my doctor to see if it would work for my lower calf pain.
Love and light

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

I don't know of anyone who has used a T.E.N.S. unit for RLS, but I DO know that it's been used for fibromyalgia and PN, so that might very well be a possibility. Good luck

Jan.
No one is alone who had friends.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sure, people have tired (nothing they haven't!). Like all things, it seems to help some, and not others.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

rfishburn

Post by rfishburn »

It helped me a little but not enough to keep it up. Great for aches and pains from working out though.
Randy

alifitz1000

Post by alifitz1000 »

I've had RLS since I was a toddler (I'm 34), and after trying every conceivable treatment, I've found that the TENS works the best for me. It has literally saved me. I can't use it on my arms (they just curl up in odd positions), but when my legs are really bad I put on the electrodes and turn them up as high as I can tolerate them until I exhaust the muscles. I don't know about anyone else, but pain is much, much preferable to RLS. I also use the TENS regularly when I want to sleep, or have to sit through a long lecture - I just put on four electrodes, one on each quad and one on each ham - and turn it on low. I LOVE my TENS.

I got mine for about $80 from cheaprelief.com. Also, I wear in when I fly and I haven't had any problems with it when going through security. I got a prescription from my doctor to have a TENS (you need a prescription to have one where I live, but you don't need one to get a TENS online), but I've never needed to show it to anyone.

Being medication-free after seven years on Requip, I just can't recommend the TENS enough.

breadmanpaul

TENS and RLS

Post by breadmanpaul »

It turns out that I've had RLS for years but just thought my legs hurt in the evening for some other unknown reason. We have a hand-me-down TENS unit, which I've used on my back for strained muscles. I got it out this evening to try on my right calf. This is my first time trying to relieve the pain of RLS, so I don't know how well it works for that. I'm going to go to bed here in a few minutes -- I'll find out soon.