Any new data from the PH therapy (panty hose) experiment???

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Sara

Any new data from the PH therapy (panty hose) experiment???

Post by Sara »

I was going back and reading some old posts, and thought that this one was interesting. Not having RLS the last few nights all the sudden (or not enough to really bother much), but thought I might hunt mine up out of the depths of the drawer to have on hand for the next bad night...

I was also wondering, for the fine gentlemen here, if you could wear one of the snug athletic leggings like sprinters and swimmers wear to be aerodynamic? They wouldn't be cheap, I imagine, but they might lower the "spousal snicker" factor, and it would be like a lady splurging for a silk negligee, right? ; )

Would so love to hear if any of you continued this after last spring's flurry of interest or not.

Sara

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Sara, I don't consider myself macho, but I like to believe I'm manly enough. That being said, I'd wear a pink tutu and ballet slippers to bed if it meant negating the symptoms of RLS.

Actually, I did experiment a bit with weight on my legs. I noticed that whenever I was in the recliner with the footrest up and our little 14 lb dog would rest on my legs the RLS would not bother me. Since our dog is not allowed in the bedroom, I tried various inanimate items in a range of weights (blankets, pillows, etc.) laid across my legs as I lay in bed. I never was able to determine a satisfactory benefit. Not sure what the dog has to do with it. It'a a real puzzlement. :shock:

Sara

Manliness and dog therapy

Post by Sara »

Nephriticus--

GREAT answer! and good spirit! Now that you mention it, I'm not sure what the lady's version of you in a tutu and ballet slippers is, but I'd probably be willing to do it, too! : )

Interesting about the dog "therapy", too. If my dog laid on my legs, they'd either have no circulation at all or they'd be broken (he's a big doberman), so I guess I WON'T try that. (It'd probably be hard on the recliner, too!) But I can see that *sometimes* my symptoms are less with some sort of counter-pressure. I can't explain why, maybe someone smarter and more experienced here, can. Maybe that's what the dog provided? I don't know.

I got to thinking, though, about your comment about adding more weight to your bedding, trying to recreate the dog's weight effect. It's interesting, I've ALWAYS needed heavy covers to sleep soundly. That's one big reason why I hate hot weather, because I can never get comfortable with just a sheet or light blanket. Never thought about it having anything to do with RLS. I wonder if it DOES???

Hope it's a good night for you, Nephriticus--
Sara

becat

Touch therapy

Post by becat »

Hi to both of you.
I wanted so badly to study this in San Antoino when I lived there. They had a school that only taught touch therapy. It's not massage but more along the lines of healing energy. Plus, cold or hot weather my grandmother (same type of RLS as me) has always said that she needed something to hold down her legs at night in bed. She searched and searched for the right weight to counteract her legs without discomfort.

1. Touch therapy is the healing positive energy we all have. Nephriticus, your dog might very well be the right weight for this counterweight or compression. But I think that he may provide a positive, healing natural energy for you as well. They have used animals in rest homes, hospitals, etc. for their healing powers. They calm people. There are many theroies out there, but petting is a calming act, it's a love that is not thought out, just there. And it is proven to lower a human's blood pressure. Animals nurture without prejudice. They give off a very good, strong energy. I know this may sound very strange, but it's true. Ever been sad and think your hiding it well, but your dog or cat knows and shadows you.
2. My grandmother and her legs at night..........she is allergic to almost everything that is not pure cotton. She tried many things to get the right weight. The best she has found is an all cotton afghan. It's heavy, but she can adjust it by folding it for more weight or unfolding it to have less. The arcylic ones were to light to achieve the same comfort. They are cheap if you have to buy one, so several of us got her one for Christmas. It's just a thought and it's always been a joke when she travels. So I found that she could carry one just the length of her body, if we put it in a spacebag. The kind you take the air out of. The blanket is not that wide, but is is long enough to fold or unfold. I had a friend make it for me, I bought the cotton yarn and we made it to fit.