Salt intake

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
frank

Salt intake

Post by frank »

Hi folks. Has anyone found that taking in to many salts cause a restless night ? I've had this RLS for years now and have been able to pin point that eating to much salt causes a very restless night. When I have a bad night I have to get out of bed and do 50 deep knee bends at the side of my bed. This seems to work for me. But all I have to do is eat a small bag of potatoe chips during the day and I can promise that I'll be having problems that night. I've tried meds and they just give me weird dreams.(Requip,Mirapex,ect...)

brandy

Post by brandy »

I have not noticed this, but I don't eat a lot of salty foods. I'll keep an eye on it, though. Thanks for the tip.
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Someone wrote a book about it - she charges $30 to say not to eat ANY salt. Of course, that is almost impossible unless you eat a raw food diet or cook all of your own food. But, mostly? It just doesn't seem to help most folks.

For some reason, there are many, many RLS interventions that work for a small percentage of people. While that is great for the person it helps, it makes the rest of us sort of crazy, willy-nilly trying everything under the sun, but not getting the same results.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.