TRY IVORY SOAP IT WORKS WONDERS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Hopscotch

Post by Hopscotch »

RATS! I tried this last night, and it didn't work for me. :cry:

karnaswanson

Post by karnaswanson »

This is probably the nuttiest thing I've ever tried. Unfortunately, didn't help the RLS, but I kind of like the feel of soap bars at the foot of my bed.

ctravel12

try ivory soap, it works wonder

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Hopscotch and karna. Welcome to this group. I am sure that this soap has worked for some, but one thing to remember is what works for one may not always work for another. I am sorry that you have rls, but have found a great support group.

If you have not read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" please read it as it has some interesting articles on it. One of them is the Mayo Clinic Algorithm which is definitely worth reading. If you are going to a dr, print it out and bring it to him/her. It is always good to educate your as much as possible before seeing a dr. Hopefully if you are seeing a dr, he/she is familar with rls.

It is also worthwhile to read alot of the old and new posts as there is a fountain of knowledge out there.

Another good site to read is www.rlshelp.org

I hope this has been some help to you. Good luck and please let us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Hopscotch

Post by Hopscotch »

Thanks! I've been reading a lot in here! It's comforting to know I'm not alone.
I have to say, about the Ivory soap, I am enjoying the showering with it, it brings back some great childhood memories of staying at my gran's house!!

jackieeno

Post by jackieeno »

Hi!
I like many of you have suffered for years with the symptoms increasing as I get older. I tried everything including Requip. Nothing worked. It was sleepless nights, crabby and unreasonable days (on my part), to the point where I wished I'd have a massive stroke and get out of this world. (Depression I guess) Anyway my daughter's friend mentioned CALCIUM AND MAGNESIUM. I thought no more of it until another person mentioned it. I tried it and within a week could see a difference and now I'm FREE of RLS!!!!!
I also would like to mention that I found some medications made things worse. LIKE antidepressants, and sleeping pills (which is all you'll get from most doctors . They seem to think it's no big deal. It destroys relationships and makes a person unable to cope. After being up night after night life just isn't worth the bother.
I want to help anybody out there . Like it is said...it doesn't work for everybody but just try it for a week or 2.
GOOD LUCK :D
I'm at my whits end. I have been battling this for years.. Have tried everything possible and it gets worse . I'm 67 and am very depressed. Cannot sleep but must go on. Some times I want to give up.

ctravel12

ivory soap and it works

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jackieeno and welcome to this group. I am so happy that you finally found relief and hope that it continues.

We can all relate to some meds not working and sleepless nights.

Thank you for sharing this info with us. Just curious how long have you been on the calcium and magnesium? I know they are both good. I think that I read on one of the posts that calcium and magnesium should be taken separately.

Again, happy for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

jackieeno

Post by jackieeno »

I've been on the calcium/magnesium for about 3 months now but felt improvement in about 1 week which encouragedf me to continue and am almost rls free but I must say I MUST walk every day, also. I do take a hot bath before I go to bed every night . I guess it's an ongoing battle and getting older doesn't help!!! I am just so grateful to be able to get some sleep. I want to tell the world about it and maybe help someone else. Like I said my dr doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. It sure is when you can't get enough rest!!! I take calcium and magnesium separately. Don't know what the answer is to that one . (separately or together.)
I'm at my whits end. I have been battling this for years.. Have tried everything possible and it gets worse . I'm 67 and am very depressed. Cannot sleep but must go on. Some times I want to give up.

ctravel12

Post by ctravel12 »

jackieeno wrote:I've been on the calcium/magnesium for about 3 months now but felt improvement in about 1 week which encouragedf me to continue and am almost rls free but I must say I MUST walk every day, also. I do take a hot bath before I go to bed every night . I guess it's an ongoing battle and getting older doesn't help!!! I am just so grateful to be able to get some sleep. I want to tell the world about it and maybe help someone else. Like I said my dr doesn't seem to think it's a big deal. It sure is when you can't get enough rest!!! I take calcium and magnesium separately. Don't know what the answer is to that one . (separately or together.)

Hi Jackieeno I love the great attitude that you have when you said "I want to tell the world about it and maybe help someone else".

That is exactly how I feel as when I was at my worst last year they were here for me and now I want to be here for somebody else.

Good luck and let us know how this is working for you. Like I had said in the previous post thanks for sharing. You never know when you are helping someone else. If it is just one person that is a great feeling.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

karnaswanson

calcium and magnesium

Post by karnaswanson »

I take calcium and magnesium together. I just started again after reading this thread, so I'll let you know if it works. I am on day three.

My RLS is mild I think in comparison with the other poster. It has been getting progressively worse in the last six months or so since I took a desk job.

Before, I was a teacher -- on my feet all day -- so the RLS was random and sporadic. Now it's nightly, with sporadic and random days with no RLS. I just started a diary of daily activities and foods that I eat to see if I can find out what helps and what doesn't.

I am also starting to exercise again. I plan on doing Yoga, basically b/c in my job I'm under a lot of stress, and swimming, and this is because my husband is going to begin swimming as a recommendation from his doctor, and I'm going to support him. Anyone know if swimming helps at all for RLS. It would be great if it did.

Also, and maybe this is going off the topic, my RLS seems to come every night at about 11pm sharp, which is when I am normally trying to fall asleep. It lasts for about 30-45 minutes if I don't do anything, but about 10 minutes if I get up and pace in the hallway.

This weekend, however, I was out and about at this time and the RLS came, but when I finally got home to get to sleep, around 1 or 2 am, there was no RLS.

Is this normal, that it comes everyday at a certain time? Has there been any research into finding out why? It seems strange, like clockwork!