Compression Stockings to relieve need to move at night

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
DrWass2

Compression Stockings to relieve need to move at night

Post by DrWass2 »

[b]There have been mention of pantyhose , or support stockings, and even ace bandages (which I have tried). I have found that real medical grade support stockings reduce or eliminate the need to move the legs.. the tingling that I get leads to the desire and need to move the legs..can't be ignored. But the pressure from the compression stockings seems to satisfy the need to move.
Medical compression stockings are specifically graduated from the ankel up to the thigh to keep the blood moving. I tried a lot of experimentation with this and have found something that almost always works for me. If you want help with this feel free to contact me.. I am a male and if wearing stockings will let me sleep then I'm wearing.! :D
Evan Wasserman DMD, FAGD

becat

Glad to see you here

Post by becat »

Hi Dr. Wass,
Glad to see you here.
This is what we all need......mechanical massage. Plug me in and I'm good to go. I have a leg massager but it only takes the ankle to the thigh, the bottom half. It does feel good, but the whole leg would be a dream. I read alot about people having someone massage their legs. It only makes sense that these should be available to us for this.
May I ask how one would get one and the possible cost of these? GROUP RATE< MAYBE? :)

Looking forward to your post around the site. You will certainly enjoy our wonderful (DR.) Jumpyowl. In fact, you may like being apart of our own research project..........the link is just below. You'll like what we're doing here. We are no bunch of bench warmers here.
http://rls.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=260
Please feel free to roam and post. We're a good group and enjoy sharing and learning. An educational experience here, in many ways.

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

I am supprised by the few responses of people wearing pantyhose or stockings for relief. It works great for me and I would expect more people to at least try it, and report back to this site. Only got one message from someone who could not stand anything touching her legs when the rls was going on. What going on with the rest of you??? just curious.
Evan Wasserman DMD, FAGD

LadyFox

Post by LadyFox »

My grandmother, who is undiagnosed but from what she has always said to me, has RLS. She's been wearing a leg support to bed for that purpose as long as I can remember. When I first started complaining to her that I too had diffculties at night with my legs, she suggested the supports. I poo-pooed the idea, it seemed so "old lady like" to me at the time. Now that I'm older, the idea is sounding more appealing LOL.

BTW, massage from a human, like someone else mentioned while in the thoes of the thrashing does help me completely. My husband, bless him and his tolerance thus far, uses his foot to apply deep pressure to my leg when it acts up. He runs it up and down my calf and ankle (the place where it bothers me the most). It kind of hurts, it isn't your typical soothing massage and yet, it does soothe the problem and I'd be able to get back to sleep most nights for the balance of the night.

Laurie

Laurie

Post by Guest »

hi im new to this forum. 2nd post. im 38 and have had rls since i was very young. never knew it untill 1 weeka ago though, huge relief to know its not "just me"

hmm interesting thought, I might try this compression bandage idea. even if i am male!!

i definatly get relief if i literally stuff my foot between the mattrass and bottom bedhead. i know my mum used to place a pillow case full of haeavy blankets on my leg when i was young and that helped. so this may help me?? thnx
trev

trevb

Post by trevb »

Anonymous wrote:hi im new to this forum. 2nd post. im 38 and have had rls since i was very young. never knew it untill 1 weeka ago though, huge relief to know its not "just me"

hmm interesting thought, I might try this compression bandage idea. even if i am male!!

i definatly get relief if i literally stuff/wedge my foot between the mattrass and bottom bedhead. i know my mum used to place a pillow case full of haeavy blankets on my leg when i was young and that helped. so this stocking thing may help me?? thnx
trev

hi, oops.... that was me but not logged in!!
trev

cmg61

Post by cmg61 »

Hi everyone - it's been a while since I've posted and I've been reviewing everything I missed. My doctor has suggested support hose - haven't tried it yet, but after reading all your posts, I just might try it.

I also find it helpful to wedge my foot and/or lower leg between cushions or anything to hold it still.

I've also found that falling asleep on my stomach is easier than on my back - don't know what the difference is, but it sure seems to help.
Diagnosed:
RLS 2002
Hemachromotosis 2003
Hyperparathyroid Disease 2004

Post by Guest »

It seems to me that anyone who gets relief from piling things on their legs (ie. blankets, pillow, weights, etc) or by wedging leg between things would get relief with the compression stockings. Regular "support " stockings may not do, you need strong tight medical grade compression stockings. If interested or need help, contact me. DrWass2@aol.com

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

The above was me,,,,somehow missed my login....

Andrea

Pressure definitely helps me

Post by Andrea »

I've been thinking about doing this, but I'm not sure where to buy compression hose. My RLS definitely bothers me less at night when I shove my legs under my dog or my boyfriend's legs. The weight helps lessen the sensation.

I don't have a circulation problem or diabetes, so I might try the hose.

Andrea

rshhrh

Post by rshhrh »

hello, I'm new to group and have just heard about jobst support wear for rls. Wear at night or during the day? Newspaper article sounds like during the day.

trevb

Post by trevb »

andrea,
yeah i hear you, my rls can be kept at bay if i have heavy compression on them, like my wifes legs or squashing them between the matress and wooden bottom of bed...

email dr wass as he may be able to help you with the compression stockings and where to get them. tell him where you live though. Also-have you tried your doctor, sometimes they can sort out a prescription for you?

mailto:DrWass2@aol.com

rshhrh- i think you wear them whenever you get the rls feeling, particularly in the evenings? but im not sure?

becat

Hi

Post by becat »

Hello to all, Welcome to the newcomers.
You can get compression socks in any local drug store. They run about $15 in Texas.
I have tried this one and it did help. Not a cure but it did seem to help. They can be worn anytime, however be sure to keep them pulled tight and don't let them bunch up anywhere.
I used the ones my husband brought home after surgery, after he refused to wear them any longer. A fashion statement they are not, although I have seen them in different colors. or cover them up with a nicer looking pair of socks.
It's a nice thing to have several things in our "bag of tricks", as Jill Gunzel says.
Hugs and howls.

ksxroads

Post by ksxroads »

I looked at some stockings for sale at Wally World today, and thought they might be a try, but decided against purchasing them. Might try to get some this weekend and give you a review! Sometimes compression helps, sometimes it doesn't. I think more things are being put out on shelves due to the recent commercials etc relating to RLS.

Right now I am using a squish therapy pillow (micro bead material vibrator for back area) I found at Walgreens both the massage pillow and the stocking were $19... I know vibration from mechanical massage helps, so that is where my $19 went today! It is helping me keep going till the 5 o'clock hour!

Will and I are looking at massage chairs... recliners with calf massage capability... The one at Physical Therapy is nice... but pricey.

Row row rowing stirring up that hope! Healing thoughts to all, Hazel

becat

Hello

Post by becat »

Hey there Hazel,
Yup I use those socks and I got one of those chair about 3 years ago. It massages hard, deep massage. Mine is a little older and does my calf muscles, but not from the thigh to knees. If you invest in one get one that does a full body massage. That's my idea of the right chair. I like mine and use it, but wish I had waited and saved for a full leg massage.
Hope your Christmas list hasn't been made yet>>>>HMMMMMMM
I hope your day was a much better one today. I hope the meds are working better today too!
Hug to ya