Compression Stockings to relieve need to move at night

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jed

Post by jed »

I have one more ?. Beds? I find sleeping on the floor seems to work the best for me. I would LOVE to be able to sleep in a bed for more than 1 hr. without my legs acting up, beside the fact i miss sleeping with my husband. Any miracle beds out there? Oh! I now have an extra firm mattress. Thanks for any in put.

jed

Cathy

Post by Cathy »

I am almost brand new to this forum, and this is my first post. I began having RLS a few weeks. I came to the internet to see what I could find out about RLS, and found this forum.

I happened to have a pair of compression stockings from a hospital stay a couple of years ago, so after reading this thread, I tried it out. It was like a miracle, and I only had to use them for the one night. :shock: I have had some mild early evening symptoms since then, but when I get into bed I go straight to sleep with no RLS symptoms. I am amazed!

I am so thankful to have found this forum as I was beginning to freak out about having developed RLS.

TB

Post by TB »

I am new to this forum as I only found it a couple of days ago. Yesterday and last night I had a severe attack of RLS. After being unable to get to sleep, I decided to explain the idea of compression stockings to my wife and then proceeded to ask to borrow a pair of her pantyhose. I am thankful I have an understanding wife as she immediately got up and got me a pair of her pantyhose. I put them on and within five minutes I was amazed that they were working. My RLS attack subsided and I had the best sleep I have had in years. It was like a miracle. I want to thank everyone for this suggestion. I will admit that being a guy I was a little reluctent putting on the pantyhose, but after trying them I would not hesitate to wear anything now if it will help.

When I woke up this morning I took off the pantyhose and went to work as normal. I got halfway throught the day before me legs started acking and so far I have not had relapse with an RLS attack yet today. Now I need to ask, should I just wear the pantyhose when I am having an attack, or should I be wearing them during the day as well as sleeping in them at night. What does everyone do and what do you find what works best?

I want to really thank everyone for posting about wearing pantyhose.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi TB and Welcome to the board.

Hey if the mighty Joe Namath can pull it off, any man can!!!! :D
RLS is the issue, not your manhood my dear. If it helps go for it, that is what counts.
I can't say I like pantyhose, they aren't enough pressure for me. I use ace bandages though, with heat packs. It's the only way I can fly anymore.
I can't say enough about the miracle of sleep. I know I'm a new person, with new eyes on life, when I feel rested.
Good For you.

I'd see what happens tonight, wearing them at night is helpful so far, I'd certainly keep that up. I guess I'd try to decide if compression socks from the local drug store or health aids stores might be worthy of the cost. I think I found the last pair for 15-16 bucks at a chain drug store.
One question to ask yourself is where does the ache start? If it's starting below the knee the socks might be the way to go to work. If it's above your knee, then maybe the pantyhose.
Hope that makes sense.
:?
Mine starts in my thighs or in my knees, then the ace bandage helps. If it's a day that my calves want to start up I go with the socks.
I'm happy for you, I hope tonight you sleep even better.
Please let us know what is working for you. My prayers that it all works every time for you.
Lynne

ctravel12

compression stockings to relieve need to move at night

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jed and welcome to this group. I know I used to sleep on the floor in the beginning and it did help somewhat. I feel because it was very firm. Who knows. I feel that whatever works, to go ahead with it. I am glad that you found a firm mattress and hope that you are doing much better.

Hi Cathy and welcome to this group. I never used the compression stocking, but did read a few posts that it helps. I am glad that it is helping you. Like I told Jed whatever works for you to go ahead with it. I hope that you continue to do good.

Hi TB and welcome to this group. I am glad that you were able to find relief wearing the compression stockings. You know TB you may try and wear them one day at work and see how it goes. If you need it then I would do it. I am not a dr nor have any medical background. Just reading alot of stuff on the discussion board.

Good luck to all of you and again, welcome to this board. You have found an excellent support group. We will be here for all of you. I am glad that you found us, but am sorry that you have rls.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

TB

Post by TB »

becat and ctravel, thank you for your comments. I tired sleeping last night without the pantyhose and I wasn't able to get to sleep as my rls came back right at bedtime. I put on the pantyhose again and the rls disappeared within 5 minutes again. At the moment this looks like the solution for me. If the pantyhose stop working then I will look at going to the compression stockings. The only issue I have had with the pantyhose is that at I wake up with itchy legs in the Morning. My wife is suggesting I try shaving my legs, but I was hoping for another solution first. Do you have any other suggestions to prevent waking up with itchy legs.

becat

Post by becat »

LOL, No that always makes my legs itch TB. Shaving will likely provide a whole new set of sensations......not fun growing in!

As a chick, I have to shave, but my husband had open heart 2 yrs ago and beside his shoulders hurting the hair growing in was horrible for him.

You could try it once though.

That is cool that it helps you sleep, please wear them tonight, I'd love to hear that you slept again.

I wish I had something better to tell you about the itching.

Keep us updated.
Hugs,
Lynne

ctravel12

compression stockings to relieve need to move at night

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi TB I wish I had a better solution for you also. The one thing may work is to put hand/body cream on your legs before putting the stockings on. Just a suggestion as not sure if that would work.

I am glad that you are getting the sleep that you so dearly need.

Keep us posted and let us know what is working for the itching with the stockings.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

TB

Post by TB »

I just want to report that I just had another great nights sleep. In fact I actual slept in this morning. This is the first time I can remember doing this in years. I can believe how well the pantyhose are working for me. Since I don't have to goto work today, I am going to try wearing the pantyhose all day today and see if this makes any difference for me at night.

As far as the itching goes, it only bothered me for a short time last night when I first put on the pantyhose. After about 10 minutes it actually went away. Hopefully I am getting use to it.

jed

Post by jed »

My wife is suggesting I try shaving my legs, but I was hoping for another solution first. Do you have any other suggestions to prevent waking up with itchy legs.

TB - I wouldn't shave. Makes itching worse when grows back. I use Curel hand lotion for the itching. My thought on this is it makes the hairs softer and keeps the friction down, resulting in less itch. Be careful though, your wife might not be able to keep her hands off those nice softer legs :lol: :oops:

My pain is starting to go into my calves, plan on trying support hose during day. Will let you know results.

Jed

jed

Post by jed »

And Becat, honey, I'm with you about vibrations.... NOT good for my RLS. Neither is getting cold enough to shiver at ALL. Soon as I get a shiver or am exposed to vibration, it sends my RLS going. Mad

I am totally with you on this . Loud music especially with a lot of bass is the worst for setting of my legs. Also cars that you can feel the vibration in the seat. But cold is probably the worst and I live in the Upper Peninsula of MI, so winters are very bad for me. Lots of scolding hot showers just to warm legs up. Don't understand how bcat can use the message chair, would send me through the ceiling with legs.

JED

becat

Post by becat »

Jed,
First of all, I'm sorry I did not say welcome, I'm living on half a brain these days. Sorry! Welcome to the board, we are glad to have you, only wish it were for fun things.

That is just so wild, you said the bass bugs you....... :shock: Me too.
I love music, but as a kid I remember telling my mom I could feel the marching band. I'm sure she thought I was saying it emotionally, but I meant it physically. And it was not a good thing either.

Yes, the car is a bad place for me, it's better if I drive, but that means no meds for me....so I ride more often than drive. When the trip is a long one (7 hours to my moms) I end up dancing in the car. It drives my boys nuts and they hate having friends with us for sure. LOL
But it is car dance or medicate to sleep my way through a trip. I hate that, we get great conversations going on long trips.

My massage chair is not for any wimp. It is a bone breaker, it has an easy setting, but I have not used it too often. And it's more of a rolling movement than a vibrating action. The calve part is always set to crushing mode too. LOL

I normally do better in the cold weather, but a different health issue crunched that this year. My time of torture and no escape is summer and it's here in Dallas, as of today. UGH!

I bet you had a heck of a winter this year, we even had a winter here.

Jed I also scald myself when needed. This year I got a mattress warmer, aka...full body heating pad. LOL I love it and it makes it easier to go to bed. Feels good on my back and legs. I have no idea how I will do without this summer. back to the tub for red legs I guess.

LOL about those soft and sexy legs. TB I had to wear pantyhose today and certainly decided that support hose are better. Tighter and it feels better.

Good for you, I'm so happy you slept in today. I bet your feeling a bit like this may be a trick, because it's working so well. Just enjoy it! And keep sending us the good news.

Hugs to all
Lynne

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Just to touch on the subject of shaving and the hair 'growing in', I found that using an electric razor rather than a wet razer got over this difficulty for me. Betty

jed

Post by jed »

becat,

Thanks for the welcome. Never tried a rolling massage, might work since
massaging with hands helps a little. And full body heating pad, great idea for winter which really wasn't that bad this year. I think it decided to hit everywhere else and give us a break up here :lol: .

Went to see psychiatrist. She put me on lamictal and stayed with the mirapex. Just a first touch bases visit. See her again next week. She can help with depression and bi-polar but how this will help with rls I don't know :? .

DrWass2

Post by DrWass2 »

Glad to finally hear that some of you brave people are trying the stockings.
As far as long car trips go (or especially air plane travel) I always wear the compression stockings to prevent DVT (deep vein Thrombosis). Actually, I was using the stockings just for that purpose when it occurred to me that it should help with the RLS which it does. I try to start every night off without them and if i'm tossing and turning I then put them on. Message me if someone would like some help with this.