Compression Therapy

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
db

Compression Therapy

Post by db »

Has anyone tried compression therapy (like the hospitals use) to help relieve symptoms?

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

There are a few sporadic posting about it over the past few years. A few people have liked it, some have not. Most people that like compression do well with the stockings. There seems to be distinct camps here - some of us HATE compression, some of us LOVE compression.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

db

Post by db »

Looks like the ones that used them liked them though...specially the ones that the hospitals use.

ctravel12

cimpression therapy

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi and welcome db, If the compression stockings work for you go for it. We are only the ones that know what our body will withstand.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I know on one of the posts there is a thread on compression stockings. Look at some of the old and new post as I am sure that you will find it.

Good luck db.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

HARLEYMAN0431

Post by HARLEYMAN0431 »

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION ON COMPRESSION THERPAY
FOR TREATMENT OF RLS. YES, THERE IS A COMPANY THAT
HAS A PORTABLE COMPRESSION PUMP THAT IS USED IN THE
HOSPITAL SETTING FOR DVT PREVENTION. IT WILL INFLATE AND
DEFLATE EVERY FEW SECONDS JUST LIKE THE HOSPITAL PUMP.
EVERYONE I HAVE TALKED WITH STATES THAT THIS WILL HELP
PREVENT RLS! NOTE TWO PEOPLE THAT HAD THESE ON DURING
HOSPITAL STAYS IS HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT THESE!!! THIS SYSTEM
IS GREAT AND REASONABLE. THE TWO PEOPLE HAD DICUSSION POINTS
ON THIS SITE (PINKLADIE0333 & RUBYSLIPPER) THANK YOU FOR THE
SUGGESTION. THIS SYSTEM INFLATES AND DEFLATES AIR INTO
GARMENTS THAT WRAP AROUND ON YOUR FEET AND LEGS.
IT CAN BE USED WITHOUT PLUGGING INTO A WALL SHOCKET SINCE IT HAS A INTERNAL BATTERY THAT WILL RUN THE UNIT FOR UP TO EIGHT HOURS WITHOUT CHARGING. THE UNIT IS A LITTLE LARGER THAN THE SIZE OF A CELL PHONE AND PORTABLE FOR USE WHEN TRAVELING OR WORKING. IT COMES WITH EITHER FOOT GARMENTS OR CALF GARMENTS OR BOTH. IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD THIS UNIT IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THEY RENT IT ALSO. THE NAME OF THE WEB SITE IS DYNAMICAIR-DVT.COM HOPE THIS HELPS
JERRY R KNIGHTON

db

Post by db »

If anyone wants the url that Jerry was so kind to put on here i added the link so all you have to do is click on it...This looks kind of interesting...i think i will give them a call tomorrow...I'll post my findings tomorrow if anyone whats to know...

www.dynamicair-dvt.com

db

Post by db »

I found this study that indicates this method of treatment really works.

http://meeting.chestjournal.org/cgi/con ... 128/4/383S

magicfan

Post by magicfan »

i have used this device it is worth it! these garments make your legs feel great. check out the web site on db link! this whole system weighs less than a pound and you can take it with you anywhere. it is the same sytem that is used in hospitals. i think the company offers a money back
if product does not work for you. hope this helps

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Great find on the study. Before everyone buys these, please remember that this is a very small sample - 8 people - and one person couldn't comply - and it was only over 30 days. Because RLS is highly influenced short term, we don't know the long-term effect. It certainly sounds wonderful for those that like pressure, however.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

db

Post by db »

Bumping this up for the people that haven't had a chance to read the study...

db

Post by db »

bump

jbrinkley

Post by jbrinkley »

db, have you tried this?

I remember them using them on me while I was in the hospital several years ago. I was in ICU and couldn't exercise so they put these on, I never knew why at the time, didn't really care because I was high as a kite, I think I remember someone saying it was for blood flow though. I might try this, would like to hear more people that have though.

db

Post by db »

[quote="jbrinkley"]db, have you tried this?

I remember them using them on me while I was in the hospital several years ago. I was in ICU and couldn't exercise so they put these on, I never knew why at the time, didn't really care because I was high as a kite, I think I remember someone saying it was for blood flow though. I might try this, would like to hear more people that have though.[/quote]

No I haven't but my cousin has and he said it worked for him. Plus they feel great on your legs, i did try them on. They also have a foot pump that messages the bottom of your foot that i think i might try.

db

Post by db »

bump