Memory foam mattress toppers

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Sara

Memory foam mattress toppers

Post by Sara »

Hey, folks--

I was glad to hear that Jumpy continues to have good results from his memory foam mattress (can't think of the "scientific" name). Anyway, I think, of course, that $500 isn't a lot if it saves us pain and discomfort. But I also know that I don't have that much right now to spend on anything.

I did see (and I mentioned this in general before, but saw it again now) in the latest JCPenney white sale catalog, that they have the toppers on sale. I THINK, I'll have to see if I saved the catalog, that the price on sale was $59.99 each for any size. I've also seen the, I think, in Domestications' catalog.

I know that these probably aren't as good as the more expensive ones, but for a starter, test-it-out, better-than-what-we're-sleeping-on-now, I'm considering asking my hubby if we could buy them for us and the kids for Christmas. Hubby works very hard, so he wakes up sore sometimes. I have the RLS. Older son has trouble getting to sleep at night sometimes. Younger son has trouble staying asleep at night sometimes. Seems like it couldn't HURT anyway. :wink:

Just thought I'd pass that along. Hope mentioning a specific store is not a breach of local forum etiquette.

Take care, folks. Sara

jumpyowl

Hello, there

Post by jumpyowl »

I like the memory foam name.

Just my contribution with a question. How thick are these toppers you plan to buy Sara? If they are less than 2 inches they may be insufficient to reach the desired effect. And of course the viscoeleastic properties are important, which probably comes under quality.

Now that I have more experience with the mattress and had a couple of flare-ups I have to admit that these mattresses will not stop the pain completely. But they sure make a difference!

With those toppers, Sara, you may want to buy just one at first to test it out. When you talk about several people the cost does accumulate.

If I wanted to improve the mattress I would increase the thickness of the gel part (the memory part). I think it has to be thicker that 2.5 inches to get the full benefit. (it has to be large enough to accommodate the uneven parts of the body and the discrepancy is more than 2.5 inches even for a flat person.
Last edited by jumpyowl on Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpy Owl

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi, Jumpy--

Thanks for the clarifications on your experience with memory foam mattress products. I'm sorry it's not been exactly a "magic bullet" (don't you WISH it would be something as simple as that? :? I DO!) But it is interesting and hopeful that it is giving some relief and better sleep.

We've not pursued that option yet, but have discussed it. I'll certainly keep your specific comments in mind as we consider options. Our living conditions are starting to get a little closer to "normal", so we're looking ahead to what we'll need and want to do differently then.

Take good care,

Sara :D

jmarie1979

Post by jmarie1979 »

I had purchased a memory foam topper last year at Costco ( about $100 ) but only because it was less expensive than the other option, which was to buy a new mattress. I love my topper and have had some relief from my RLS but its not always a help, certainly a lot easier to get comfortable and sometimes that makes a big difference. I would certainly suggest a memory foam topper over an "egg crate" ( which I have also tried ). Unfortunately the toppers come compressed and once you open it most places won't take it back, so I would definately start out with one and see how you like it. Hope this helps.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Hello, again--

Thanks for adding your product summary to this discussion. I've still not bought one, but now two people in my in-laws' family, as well as my parents, have memory foam mattresses or toppers, and they all seem happy with them. The newest person to buy one is a brother-in-law who I think has told me he also has RLS (forgot to ask him about it again when I saw them yesterday). Will definitely pass on his product summary later on, if appropriate.

I think that we're probably not realistic to expect anything to be a "magic bullet" type impact on RLS, necessarily. But improved ease in getting comfortable and sometimes real relief sounds like a GOOD START to me. Thanks so much for speaking up and sharing!

Sara :D

Jonah

Post by Jonah »

Sara et al,

I know this is an older post that I'm replying to, but I wanted to speak up about the memory foam. I'm 52 and have had RLS many many years. I've also had 4 back surgeries and I also broke my back in an accident in 1996. (I can still walk - so I'm happy) But I couldn't afford the whole bed either, so I bought the memory foam topper at Sams Club for around $130. It is awesome! It feels wonderful, it helps me get comfortable and when I DO get to sleep I sleep more comfortably and wake up more refreshed. (Hey, you will all agree with me probably that 'just waking up' is good cause it means you've been asleep!) :wink: My wife, who has NEVER had a sleeping disorder of any kind says it has improved her sleep as well. Granted, memory foam is not a cure for RLS and may be helping only incrementally, but I say to my fellow RLSers, if there is ANYTHING that can offer even a shred of help - GO FOR IT!

I wish you all the best!

zzz

thanks for the memory... la la la

Post by zzz »

i had to talk my girlfriend into the foam bed and we were able to test this out for 3 mths. well we absoloutely love it, i have been trying a couple of vitamins, cal mag, salmon oil, and dong quai ( i have peri menopause at the same time :shock:
also, my theory is ( after trying many... many ..different things) that this is part vitamin, part excersize - lower back/legs, i have little or no trans fats AND i lie on a heating pad before bed for 20 min or so.
this has given me 3 wks of sleep with one night with minimal rls ( i got up and stretched my legs for a few mins)
im not even sure about the trans fats but this whole set up i have right now is working for me, i try not to get too excited BUT i am optimistic.
im firm with the excersize though, i believe it worked years before when i suffered for months until i started kick boxing with a co-worker.
another womyn i met told me her husband has it bad but when he kick boxes he sleeps , so who knows, all i can do is share my experience and hope that this or whatever you do works, again , i encourage everyone to do the stretch/excersize part, it would be worth a try yes!!
sleep hard,
zzz

zzz

Post by zzz »

still good! :D ( i do realize that i cant get too excited about this.... yet)

lyndarae

Post by lyndarae »

HEY SARA, Did you ever get the topper from Pennys??? I saw them on sale but was not sure about the brand and I know they should be at least 2.5inches, just wondering if you knew the brand name or if they might still be on sale..... Thanks~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Lyndarae

Sara

Post by Sara »

Lyndarae--

Hi, honey. My latest catalog doesn't have them in it, but the sales usually last more than one sale catalog worth for JCP. Have you checked their website? They might well still be offered.

I've not bought one, because my husband's decided we need a whole new mattress, and he's not decided what kind. He's not sleeping well, either, so he might spring for a fancy one. :wink: I'll let you know.

:D
Take care. Sara

Post by Guest »

Hey Sara girl, Check the classified sometimes they have those brand new still in the package for alot cheaper>>>>> they have some here anyway the whole mattress was 1499 and they are saleing it for 499 still in package....back to sleep these gravyards are confussing me !!!!!!heheheehe~~~~~~~~~~lyndarae

Sara

Post by Sara »

Oooo... great idea, Lyndarae. Hadn't thought of that. We use "recycler" ads and such for some things, but didn't think to keep an eye out for mattresses. Might WELL be something we could find here, too.

THANKS!!! :D

Take care on those late shifts, honey.

Sara