My current concoction for RLS

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jennygirl

My current concoction for RLS

Post by jennygirl »

Ok, wasn't sure where to put this since what I've been taking are meds (I guess) but they're otc. Anyway, the last few nights I've been taking a Calcium-Magnesium tablet, L-Theanine, something called B'Calmed (found on the 'net) and a Unisom before going to bed. I've also been drinking a glass or two of Tonic water...while I'm up generally around 1 or 1:30 to take a hot bath, after that I've been falling asleep pretty well and sleeping for at least 5 or 6 hours (the night before last I slept from 2 or so to 11:30 am!) It doesn't totally make my rls go away, but it decreases enough for me to get some sleep. Just thought I'd share...

Jenny

jan3213

Whatever works for YOU!!!!!

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Jenny!

It's Jan

Hey, I think it's always a good idea to list what works for YOU. You're certainly not advocating it for EVERYONE ELSE (unless, and I know YOU'RE NOT DOING THIS, you happen to be selling a product, like we've had on this forum before), you are just saying it works for you, and you never know...... You just might mention one thing that someone might not have tried, like magnesium or the hot bath (which I've done). It never hurts. I happen to be on meds, and have been for a long time, but I might try something you're doing. Thanks!!!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

tdavis1001

Post by tdavis1001 »

Hey Jenny;
I am not sure if you have read my posting about the success I have found via holistic medicine MD. Magnesium was the key. Over the last 2 months I have slept 8 hours per night. The MD gave me 2 infusions of Magnesium and I have taken a combination of daily essential vitamins along with 2 Magnesium vitamins.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Tdavis and Jenny--

Magnesium is a substance suspected by many nutritionally-minded docs to be at the center of a number of troubling conditions. I've heard it recommended for many things which seem to be brain-chemistry-oriented, like RLS (a naturopath recommended it to my auntie), anxiety, depression, PMS, etc.

Calcium is a substance which is best absorbed with magnesium, and it also recommended for conditions which require "calming", like leg cramps, RLS (yes, I'd also heard this suggested in a few sources), anxiety, etc.

The other two supplements which I have heard recommended for RLS are folic acid and vitamin E. I've started to take them, but I'm notoriously bad about remembering to take supplements at the right time, so I have no "results" to share.

I HAVE been drinking a glass of milk each evening for a week or so, though, and most of those nights I had minimal RLS. However, that might be coincidental, since there are other factors which were different those days as well.

I think it's well-worth sharing details of these sorts of strategies, because a nutritional component to our fight against RLS is something potentially within reach for most of us, and also usually compatible with many of the pharmaceutical strategies as well, as long as the nutritional/supplemental strategies are not extreme.

Sara