Supplements

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
brandy

Supplements

Post by brandy »

I know that a number of folks on the Board use supplements such as Iron and Magnesium to offset RLS symptoms. I have been on Neurontin and Ultram for several months now, but the Ultram is just not as effective as I would like for it to be in controlling my symptoms. I'd like to try adding iron and/or magnesium into my regimen. My question is, for those who use either or both of these, how much do you take, when, how long did you take them before you saw results, etc. Any info you can provide on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Love y'all!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Brandy, have you had your ferritin level checked? That's one of the first things doctors should check when people complain of RLS, but sadly, they don't seem to. Ever since my gastric bypass, almost 3 years ago, I have tended to get anemic. I went through multiple iron injections at one point. But I had to tell my primary doc to check it. I'm waiting for results on that.

Iron is something I wouldn't mess with taking without some monitoring by medical people. If you take too much, it can make you very ill.

That said, I take Niferex, which is an iron supplement designed for pregnant women with sensitive digestion. Iron pills generally make me sick, but that one works for me, and the tables are a whopping 150 mg. You may need to try different brands of iron to find one that doesn't cause digestive distress. Also, taking Vitamin C helps absorption.

I also take magnesium. I found it helps tremendously with energy. Magnesium is one of those things you can't really take too much of - if you do, you'll get diarrhea. I've read posts that you shouldn't take magnesium at the same time as calcium. I haven't heard of that elsewhere, but I have read studies that show that women need about 2 parts magnesium to every 3 parts calcium, or the calcium won't be utilized by the body. Good to know for osteoporosis prevention.

I can't say whether the magnesium or the iron helps with my RLS. But it's probably worth a try.

Best wishes,

Susan

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Brandy, I forgot to reply yesterday.

Per iron, as Susan said, please get both blood iron and ferritin tested first. If you are like most women, it won't be too high, but it can be.

If you are around 40-50, maybe try it in a regular vitamin. If under 40, you can be more agressive. Ferrous sulfate is what they recommend. However, companies can list the amount of iron differently. Mine says 325 mg, but that is not all elemental iron. The elemental iron is 65 mg. So, you want 65 mg of elemental, or 325 of ferrous sulfate, however it's worded. Take three of these a day, according to Dr B. It's best taken on an empty stomach for absorption, and with some acid - a lemonade, orange juice, or even a vit C tablet. Many people find this hard to handle, so they take it with food. This works, but you just don't absorb as much and it will take you longer to build it up.

There are other ways to increase iron - cooking in cast iron, eliminating teas (they often zap your iron), eating lots of green leafies, etc. My best friend was terribly anemic and all the iron product made her sooooo sick. She found one, called Floradix. It was expensive, but she swore by it. She brought her hemoglobin from 7.1 (like walking zombit) to 12 in a few months and her doctor was impressed. Not sure if it works as well for ferritin.

The iron won't work immediately, but for some people will really reduce symptoms as they increase the iron. There is some rule regarding who is more likely to be helped, but I can't remember it. I think Corrie might - she's really our resident RLS encyclopedia 8)

The magnesium - I take it at bedtime, 500 mg. I don't know how much it helps, but it does help some. I also take a good mega B complex at bedtime.

If you want to experiment some more with supplements, you can try the many that people have listed. In fact, that reminds me. I've been meaning to create a sticky for this section of all the remedies people have said work. Tyrosine is that one with a lot of discussion time.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.