Compilation of what's worked

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
kay3914

Post by kay3914 »

I just found this group. I have had RLS as long as I can remember but up until now it was manageable. For the past few months it has gotten much much worse: every night, all night.

I had already tried many of the remedies I saw here, including quinine water, which works instantly on leg cramps but not RLS; Icy Hot, likewise; massage; calcium, stopping aspartame, and others.

I also tried TEDS (elastic stockings) that I had left over from surgery last year and found they made it worse. In fact, wearing pantyhose or tight jeans often trigger RLS.

My doctor prescribed medication which works initially -- one dose lasts about two nights -- but the RLS seems to bounce back with symptoms starting earlier and lasting longer.

I am getting desperate to find out what has caused it to be so much worse all of a sudden and equally desperate to find some kind of relief. I will continue to follow suggestions I find here.

Betty/WV

Post by Betty/WV »

Hi Kay: Been there, done that. I wish I could give you some wonderful advice that would help you.

I now take Mirapex .25mg twice a day, plus .5 mg. klonopin. And at least I am getting some sleep. I am much better than I have ever been, and have had RLS for 30 or 40 years. I've tried everything, been to many doctors. Thats the key, finding a doctor that will work with you. Not an easy task.

When my RLS was at its worse, the only thing that would help me, was I would run the bath tub full of hot water, as hot as I could stand it. And most of the time it would relax my legs and eventually I could go to sleep.
Also, another thing that would help was my doctor had given me vicodin, and that would help. But some doctors are stingy about giving you a narcotic. But it helps, and I never increased the dose, or got addicted to it.

Read as much as you can about RLS. And try to find a doctor that will be sympathic.

I wish you the best, and please let me know how things turn out.

I recently read this and thought it was so appropriate.

"O, Sleep, rest of all things, mildest of the gods, balm of the soul"
Iris to Hypnos. Ovid Metamorphoses.

BETTY/WV
Thanks to rls.org, I have learned so much about my condition. I have received encouragement from my friends here. This is a site I can come to when I am up most of the night, and I vent, and know those who read my messages understand

thib2

Post by thib2 »

I am new to this message board and have suffered with RLS my entire life , even as a child my mother would not let me sleep with her because she said I 'kicked all night". I am 58 years old. The things that have worked for me are lying on my stomach, getting up and moving around, no caffine. But these were not solutions. I have also in the last year or so discovered Restful Legs at CVS and Walmarts. It is a homeopathic remedy and works most of the time, or at least eases the sensation. I have noticed that statins have made my RLS worse and now I take just fish oil. The fish oil has helped my hot flashes and the RLS. I have not even had to take the Restful Legs lately. I hope this is helpful to someone.

brona44

A Big Thank You

Post by brona44 »

I have just registered with the discussion board and to log on and find this most useful list - well I am very grateful. Thank you Ann! :D

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

bronagh44, thanks for your good comments, we hope the site continues to prove useful and supportive. Even if you feel like having a good rant ..... use us. :)
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Polar Bear wrote:bronagh44, thanks for your good comments, we hope the site continues to prove useful and supportive. Even if you feel like having a good rant ..... use us. :)

You are very welcome. I wish I had time to do more things like this for the board.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

prisjohn

Re: Compilation of what's worked

Post by prisjohn »

Thank you Ann. You did a great job with this.

As for the Red Bull, I used it as a last resort when I had to make an emergency long distance trip during early morning hours. That and sheer adrenaline, I guess, seemed to help.

PhilGB

Post by PhilGB »

Wow, this is quite a list! If I did not suffer from this disease and know its misery, and only read about the variety of "cures" in this thread, I would swear RLS was a joke. Personally I put my faith into the scientific method and professionally managed clinical double blind trials. Of course that is not to say the magnetized Reiki-blessed soap placed under the sheet next to my holographic energy bracelet on my ankle does not work. I am just saying, your mileage may vary.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

PhilGB wrote:Wow, this is quite a list! If I did not suffer from this disease and know its misery, and only read about the variety of "cures" in this thread, I would swear RLS was a joke. Personally I put my faith into the scientific method and professionally managed clinical double blind trials. Of course that is not to say the magnetized Reiki-blessed soap placed under the sheet next to my holographic energy bracelet on my ankle does not work. I am just saying, your mileage may vary.

PhilG - it's a strange disease, isn't it?

As someone for whom only the double-blind proven pharma methods have worked, I'm actually envious. I'd love to have one of these solve my problems!

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Locking it

Post by ViewsAskew »

This was created to provide a 'quick' glance at what people have posted about. It really isn't for discussion. It's also a bit outdated, as it's been a long time since I've reviewed everything.

I think locking it makes sense now so that it doesn't start accumulating ideas that would be more easily found in their own threads.

Managing Your RLS