Compilation of what's worked

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ViewsAskew

Compilation of what's worked

Post by ViewsAskew »

In this thread, I hope to go back through all the posts and list what's worked. Allow me a couple weeks to finish it, if you would - it will take me awhile to catalog it all and get it in place.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Supplements/Vitamins

Post by ViewsAskew »

I haven't finished going through all the posts, but here's what I have so far, in no particular order. I'm tracking the times I see people affirm that they use/like them. I'm also tracking if anyone says it wasn't helpful.

Tyrosine - IIII yes, III no
Gaba 750 - I
CoQ10 - I
AllCalm - IIII
Mucuna Pruriens - II
Melatonin, 3 mg - II yes, I no
Calcium - IIIII
Calcium, Zinc, and magnesium together - I
Valerian root - II yes and I no
NADH - II yes, I somewhat
Iron - IIII
FOlic acid - I yes, I no
Magnalife - II yes, I no, I for a few days but stopped
Nerve-fix - I
Glutamine - I
Cal-mag citrate - II
Marijuana - IIIIIIII yes, IIII no
Zinc - III
Magnesium - III yes, III no
L-Glutathione - I
Ginko Biloba - I
Doans - I
Variety of calcium/magneisum products - IIII
Mannatech - I yes, I no

Worsened RLS
Estroven

Noted - while reading, I noticed a couple of things. One was that often these were in combination together, so you may need to mix and match, so to speak. I also noticed that a lot of posts were from short term use, such as "Three days ago. . ." There were some that said they'd successfully used something for a year or longer, but not as many.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:20 am, edited 4 times in total.

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

ViewsAskew

Things you wear and apply

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is broken into three groups, I suppose.

To wear
Pantyhose - IIIII III yes, III no
TED hose/Suppression stockings - IIIII I yes, II no, II somewhat
Ace bandages - II
Tensor bandage - I
Magnets
Strassburg sock - I

Machines to use:
Handheld massager - II yes, I no
Leg massager - III yes, I no
TENS unit - III yes, I a little but not enough to continue using, I no
Circulation Booster machine - I
Sleeptracker watch - II - not sure this belongs here. It doesn't help prevent RLS, but helps you track the PLMs at night. It also will awaken you at an optimal time, so you are not awakened in the middle of a sleep cycle.

Lotions/Creams/Etc.
Icy Hot - II
Arthricream Rub - I
Atomic Balm (used with a barrier first) - I
Absorbine Jr. - II
Tigerbalm
Miracle II neutralizing gel - I

Not sure where to put this, so I put it here:
Sleep and Wellness Earthing Mattress - I
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:26 am, edited 9 times in total.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Manipulation/Physical treatments

Post by ViewsAskew »

There are many methods of having a practiontioner do something to the body.

Reiki - II yes, I no
Massage - IIIII yes, II no
Deep tissue massage - II
Ayerveda - I
Motion palpation at chiropractor - I
Acupunture - I yes, I no (no, however, said it was great for pain)
Craniosacral - I
Acupressure - I
Chiropractor - I yes, III no
Vein treatment - I

Specifically, if you also add in hand-held massagers, massage shows up the most frequently of all of these as something that works. It works anywhere from only while being performed to stopping it for the whole night and everywhere in-between.
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Other

Post by ViewsAskew »

This is stuff you can do yourself.

Heat or cold - this is repeated frequently as something that works for many (but not all). Some typically only have luck with one and not the other, however one method is to start with warm water, then do a short blast of icy-cold water. This lasts anywhere from only while doing it, to a few hours. Some people report it's enough to get back to sleep. SOme like fans or ice packs to make it cooler, other use heated throws or blankets or even mattress covers.

Stretching - again, works for many. Some do yoga, others have specialized stretches they like. As with water, it seems to work anywhere from just while doing it to stopping it for hours.

Attending - this is almost universal except when it gets really bad. Paying attention to something will relieve the RLS. The good news is that you can do it almost anywere. Sometimes, it's enough to stop the attack for the rest of the night. Other times it works only as long as you are doing it, so you have to continue doing it long after you would prefer to be sleeping.

Using different sleep positions - many people have noted that a particular sleep position helps and they can only prevent the RLS or fall asleep with that position.

Putting soap in the bed - We get a lot of people report intial success. Of those that come back after trying it for awhile, many report it stopped working after a period - that period can be a few nights, to a few months. No posts have stated this works for extended periods (like years). So, if this has worked for you longer than a couple of months, let us know.

Sex - many people get relief from an orgasm. A few say sex alone is helpful, but most people require an orgasm. Like many others, the length of reprieve is anything from only during to hours. A few people have stated that this has NOT worked at all. One person reported worsening of RLS immediately after an orgasm.

Urination/Defecation - mentioned by several people as helping relieve symtoms
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Managing Your RLS

ViewsAskew

Diet

Post by ViewsAskew »

These are the things people have tried related to diet.

Reduce salt intake - III
Eliminate MSG - III
Pedialyte - I
Eliminate caramel colored soda - I
Drink warm milk - II
Follow gluten free diet - III
Follow diet for hypoglycemia - III
Calorie restricted diet - I yes, I no
Eliminating aspartame - IIII
Eliminate Splenda - I
Drinking tonic water - II yes, III no
Juice therapy (no specific juices mentioned) - I
Eliminate dairy - I
Drink Red Bull - I
Last edited by ViewsAskew on Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Managing Your RLS

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Great thread, Ann. Thanks.

becat

Post by becat »

Ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctravel12

compilation of what works

Post by ctravel12 »

Ann I just read this post. Excellent. I am going to print it out so I have something to refer to. Thank you for sharing that with us.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

brandy

Post by brandy »

That must have taken so much time and energy. You are amazing! We are so lucky to have you!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

You go girl! Great job.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

jan3213

Post by jan3213 »

Ann, thanks for your hard work on this thread!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

floquilter

Post by floquilter »

Ann, I've just read this thread. You've done a lot of work to put it together. Great job and thanks for all the effort.

doety

Thxxx

Post by doety »

Thanks so much for doing this -- it's fascinating.
I like the thing on "attending" -- when I get up at night because of RLS, I try to find a task to do, then slowly but surely the symptoms go away and I can get back in bed. When I fly, I always wish the flight attendant would let me pick up trash or help somehow -- they just don't know what good that would do me!
I didn't see anything about this, but when I read, I usually get RLS, unless I'm lying on my stomach. Wonder if anyone else is like this?
And I'm still drinking coffee w/milk at about 3:30 in the morning, then getting about 4 solid hours of sleep.
What a mysterious thing we have...

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Yes, I have found that reading is not easy, and I am such an avid reader. Sometimes I find myself reading so... quickly, trying to stay ahead of the rls.
Betty
Betty
https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/a ... 0/fulltext
Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation