It ain't salt.

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
pepenero

It ain't salt.

Post by pepenero »

It ain’t salt that’s not the problem so everyone can forget that simplistic solution offered on the web for a one-time fee of 19.95.
Just what the hell is it about 19.95 anyhow. Everything seems to cost 19.95 when it’s too good to be true.
The very first thing I tried was Melatonine. It helped for about a week, then did not help.
I’ve been on just about every prescription medication mentioned here on this site. Some helped, for awhile, then stopped helping. Others did no good at all.
Execise helps-temporarily-but sometimes it’s enough to fall asleep, not always. In airplanes I have to get up out of my seat, walk to the rest rooms, flatten myself against a free wall, and do as many leg bends as I can. Rest. Then do as many more as I can. That helps.
I tried Emu oil, massaging it on the legs. Nope.
Bio-Freeze is often good for several hours, enough time to fall asleep. But after a few weeks I begin to hate the feel of Bio-freeze as much as I hate restless legs.
My wife had it. HAD IT. We’ve been trying to figure out what it is that she now does or eats or drinks or dosen’t, etc... that is different than I. So far no answer.
I went through a three week period of lying on the floor with my legs up on the wall for a half-hour every night. A chiropractor had suggested that maybe the poisons in the body end up in the legs and that could be a way to counter-act that. It did not help.
It occured to me that I could build a centrifugal device that I could lie in, legs towards center, and get the poison out of the legs that way. You see how desperate I am? I’m ready to go to Lourdes, to spa’s, mud-baths, faith healers, acupuncturists, hypnotists; to more web con-artists and scams, anything.
Dear Debra Kaplan couldn’t take it any longer. She had been a dancer, then physical theraphist-Alexander Method. Sparkling eyes, short, beautiful, loved life.
I believe that we all share something that is the root cause, be it iron deficency or some other unknown substance, habit, thing, etc.
Every evening I light candle to my favorite saint. I’m evil. I pray that more doctors and researchers will suffer fromn this.

pepe

jumpyowl

From Paco to Pepe

Post by jumpyowl »

I’ve been on just about every prescription medication mentioned here on this site. Some helped, for awhile, then stopped helping.

Can you be more specific, Pepe? Exactly what medications have you tried? Which ones did work a while and which ones gave no help at all?

We would all learn from it! And possibly mention some to you you did not try!

As to cursing the researchers and the doctors, I see your point but it is a bit cruel. After all it is not their fault that they have no RLS. As to the researchers, they may work harder on finding a solution if they had the disease but it would be harder for them to work!

Now to your centrifuge idea. To get even some large molecules to move due to the centrifugal force one needs an ultracentrifuge with 100,000 g force. That would surely kill you. Since it is probably nerve electrical impulses, the mass of the electron is truly negligible and thus the centrifugal force would not affect it. :wink:
Jumpy Owl

pepe nero

RSL

Post by pepe nero »

You are right sir, it is cruel. I, like all of you, am just hoping-and that was my way of putting it-that more doctors and researches would get involved with this since the quality of life, for all of us, has dropped so drastically.
The medications that I have been prescribed in the past, and that did not work, are:
Rapinirole HCI
neuropin
cyclobenzapine
and quinine sulfate.

pepe

pepe nero

rsl

Post by pepe nero »

Jumpyowl:
I went to answer the survey but some of the questions cannot be answered, having a multiple choice with no 'none' or 'unknown' included.
Now the elctro whatsit machine, what the hell, 14 day money back if it doesn't work.
Had an interesting happening the other night. Had a stomack ache during the day and so took Mylanta and did not eat, only drank water, tea, and juice.
That night no RLS! was it because the body will shift attention when needed? Lack of food? Something in Mylanta? Or just a flukje.
Probably just a fluke. However yesterday I also took some Mylanta, about three tablespoons during the six hours prior to sleep and once again, no RLS.
I'm sure it can't be right, that this is just a momentary thing. However today I'm . . .

pring

has anyone tried milk??

Post by pring »

I'm new to this site and was referred to it by a close friend of mine who is a neurologist that runs a sleep clinic. I have had RLS all of my life (even as a baby) and have noticed certain dietal items and certain activities of course make it lesser or worse (as many of the discussions here seem to also say).

Anyway, since I also suffer from a kidney disease, I'm VERY cautious about prescription medications that might complicate this other problem and haven't tried medications directly for my RLS. Though, I've noticed that certain foods containing higher elevations of calcium and magnesium really do seem to help. If I take a calcium supplement during the day and drink a glass of milk with dinner, I can easily sleep through the night (usually my legs wake me many times!).

I was discussing this socially with a doctor (on my masters swimming team) and she seconded the observation that my opinion is based.

Without droning on and on, I just thought others might give this a try....It HAS WORKED for me for a few months now.

-P. Ring

cornelia

pepe nero/stomach ache

Post by cornelia »

Pepe Nero,

when you mentioned not having RLS during an attack of stomach ache and
questionning yourself if that was because the body has something else to comply with, it made me think of an experience I had.

1 Year ago I had to stop working because of RLS and the last 2 years of my working life were sometimes absolute hell. During these years I was often exhausted.
During periods of sheer exhaustion I couldn't even walk 100 meters.
But the remarkable thing was that during these exhaustion periods I could lie down allmost all day long and have NO RLS (and I had it 24/7). After 2 days, when I was rested enough, the body said: now I will give you your RLS back!

I found this very remarkable and thought I'd share.

Now that I am home and there are no periods of severe exhaustion anymore. So no more days without RLS (sigh).

Corrie