Tapering Off

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
HarryD

Tapering Off

Post by HarryD »

I read so many posts about how difficult it is to stop taking Klonopin (Clonazepam), and some of them mention their doctors helping them, but I haven't seen any descriptions of the process. Does the doctor give the patient a list of dates and decreasing dosages to follow? I'd like to see something specific about the way one tapers off. I know, from recent experience, that this is no drug to play around with. I have been on it for only a month, and a couple of days ago I decided to see if I could get by with less, so I cut the pill in half. The next day and the day after that, it was like "withdrawal." I had shakey hands, deep depression and loss of appetite. I felt awful. Now I'm going back to it, but I'm still having rls until wee hours of the mornings, so not much sleep. Just for future reference if it becomes necessary, I would appreciate some input on how to go about stopping. Thanks.
HD

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Each person goes through a different process. Some people just cut a set amount every few days and they are fine. I think they usually tell you either .25 or .5 mg each week. Like you, I had to cut very small amounts. My doc didn't "get" it. He told me to cut .5 mg each week. That about killed me; even when I told him about how horrible it was, he had no idea of how to help me. I got a lot of information on the benzo forum that follows the Ashton method (search on it in Google, it will pop up). There are some really militant folks on there about not using these drugs, so I just sort of used it to get the info I needed, not necessarily posting a lot.

I cut about 1/10th of my dose every two weeks. I literally cut these things with razors to get the right amount off. It took me a long time and I was somewhat sick the entire time. Towards the end, I was just guessing as I was using pieces the size of tiny bread crumbs.

You can also get your doc to give you wafers. They are much easier to cut. I've heard that a pharmacy can create a suspension, but I don't know that this is true.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Thanks, Ann. I'm making a copy of the Ashton method for my files for whenever the time comes. Trying to get some PCPs to even understand the horrors of rls is a major hurdle, let alone trying to help with discontinuing a medication.

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Oh, I hear you! Good luck with it. I made it through - it took me 6 months, though. The good news was that I was sick enough that I lost about 30 pounds. :wink:

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

georger

Post by georger »

I have been on Clonazapam for about two months. I read in one of the other comments that not everyone gets addicted to it. I am wondering if I should find out now if I am or not. I was thinking I could take a day - or two or three off of it.....and if necessary take Mirapex if I couldn't sleep...

any advice on this idea? :?

Sherry

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Sherry, everyone gets physical dependence. Addiction is different - where you "need" it and take more of it.

You are dependent. The questions is how much so. If you are like many people, you can taper off of it - but NEVER stop it cold turkey without your doc's input. So, you can't really do what you want.

Now, IF you did this before you were dependent, here's what you could do.

Take it for 3-4 weeks. Take at least a week off (it's OK to stop it cold turkey if you've been taking it for less than 30 days). Then, take it for three to fours weeks, take at least a week off. This way, you most probably won't develop dependence. If you take less than a week off, it's not enough.

If you want to taper off now and then start this, you can. Just talk to your doc and then taper about .25 mg every 5 or 6 days. See what happens when you reduce it. if you get sick after 4 or 5 days (it can take that long to show up), then cut back by smaller amounts.

Managing Your RLS

ctravel12

tapering off

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Sherry I would strongly advise you to taper off of the clonazapem. I first went on it in 2006 and decided to go off immediately and what a nightmare. I went to see my dr and was told to never go off of this med until you see your dr. My first dr never told me that it was addictive otherwise I would of never gone off of it cold turkey. My advise ( I am not in the medical field) is to wean yourself off of any meds.

I then took Requip and that did not agree with me. My neurologist weaned me off of requip and am now on clonazapem but warned me to not go off of it without discussing this with him.

Sherry this is a very addictive drug and I know that; however it does help my legs. Talk to your dr before you do this. Like I said in the beginning I did go off of it right away and I was up for a week not sleeping and my rls was raging out of control.

Is this not working for you or do you just want to try another med? Just curious. Remember what works for one may not always work for another. Everybody's body is different and reacts differently to the meds.

I hope this of some help to you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time