Caffeine Intake???

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
KnVsMoM

Caffeine Intake???

Post by KnVsMoM »

Hello All,
I am new to this board but not new to RLS unfortunately. I searched through the boards some but didn't find any threads on caffeine and it's effects on RLS. Has anybody cut caffeine out completely and found any relief?
I have been taking Requip 1mg for about 6 months now. I think I have started building up a resistance to it though and it doesn't seem to last but 4 or 5hrs max then the "leg jitters" return. I am unemployed right now so I am unable to go to the doctor and have her change the dosage or even try the other RLS drug, Mirapex, I think it is? I also am out of my insomnia medicine Lunesta so I am surviving on minimal sleep.
I am going to try cutting my caffeine out and see if that helps even though I will probably end up with a killer migraine for my efforts, lol. If anyone has any input good or bad about stopping caffeine or can even point me to a thread on this subject I would greatly appreciate the help. I HATE RLS and the fact that I can't even sit down and enjoy a movie, let alone cuddle with my other half in bed!

Michelle
:cry:
"Love Bites"

brandy

Post by brandy »

Caffeine definitely exacerbates RLS for most folks. I think cutting it out will help you. You might want to taper off of it gradually to avoid that migraine, but you can expect to feel sluggish for a few days. I do not use caffeine with any regularity, but when I break down and have a cup of coffee, I definitely know it! You might look at the sticky post that Ann did on what works for RLS. I believe it is in the section called "General Topics - RLS." There are other dietary options, such as reducing sugar intake. Also, you might check out the book by Dr. Mark Buchfurer on Restless Legs Syndrome and the RLS rebel at rlsrebel.com, who offers non-pharmaceutical approaches to dealing with symptoms. Good luck!
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. Albert Schweitzer

ctravel12

caffeine intake??

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Michelle and welcome to this board. Caffeine can be a problem with rls. Like Brandy said look at the New to RLS "Managing RLS" as it gives alot of information that will help you.

I know Requip works for about 4-6 hrs. I am sorry that you are unable to get some much needed relief. I know that other members will post and give you some good advise.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

You have found a very caring and supportive group of people. We all really do care.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

KnVsMoM

Hey it works!

Post by KnVsMoM »

Hi Again,
I just wanted to say that reducing caffeine has worked wonders for me already. If I drink a low caffeine beverage before noon and then stay away from it all after that then I have had no night leg jitters at all. I still can't get to sleep but that's a whole other problem. I just wanted to let people know I did get some relief although it's not cured, it's a lot better. Thanks

Michelle
"Love Bites"

ctravel12

caffeine intake???

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Michelle, I am so glad that you are getting relief for your rls and hope that it continues. Now we have to work on you getting your proper sleep. Have you been to your dr regarding you being sleep deprived?

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

I found that reducing my caffeine intake slightly reduced my symptoms. I had already been avoiding caffeine at night, but I switched from regular coffee to cocoa, and then to decaf or herb tea during the day. I didn't mind the symptoms during the day in my last job where I was walking or standing all day, but in my current job, I spend a lot of time sitting at the computer and the symptoms are a lot more bothersome.
--Haggi

ctravel12

caffeine intake???

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Haggi and welcome to this group. You said that you switched from regular coffee to cocoa. Cocoa also has caffeine in it. Are you still taking it and are you taking meds for your rls?

I am so sorry that you are having a rough time at work especially with sitting all day long. I have been there and it is miserable.

With you being new to this site, read the forum New to RLS "Managing RLS" as there is an excellent article from the Mayo Clinic Algorithm. If you are seeing a dr it would be worth it to print it out and show it to him/her. It is so important to educate yourself as much as possible before seeing the dr.

I read alot of the old and new posts as there is a fountain of knowledge out there.

I hope that you are doing better and please keep us posted on how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Haggi

Post by Haggi »

Thanks,

I stepped off the caffeine in stages, first from coffee to cocoa, and then to decaf, although I still have a cup of cocoa from time to time.
--Haggi

amytazzi

Post by amytazzi »

I also cut out caffeine and began to feel better almost instantly.

Amy

ctravel12

caffeine intake ???

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Amy. I am so glad that you are feeling better and hope that it continues.

I know that I cannot tolerate caffeine. I am not a coffee drinker, but now and then enjoy a cup of hot chocolate. If I take in the am it is not bad, but never at night. In fact, I had too much caffeine the other night and I was up until 2am. I guess you live and learn lol

Again, I am happy for you.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

DebbieInKS

Post by DebbieInKS »

RLS is the pits isn't it? I too get headaches when I give up caffeine, but....caffeine seems to make the RLS worse. Tea seems to be the worst. If I know I'm going to be sitting for a long period of time (for me any time sitting still seems like a long time!) I try to hold off drinking pop. Someone even suggested sweeteners in diet pop could be the culprit. If you find anything that works, share the news. I too take Requip, 2 mg a night, if I take more it gives me an awful headache

ctravel12

caffejne intake???

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi DebbieInKs and welcome to this group. If I am not mistaken I believe that tea has more caffeine than coffee. I do not drink coffee at all and if I drink tea at all (hot tea I drink the caffeine free Bigelow) and ice tea when I drink it at home, of course, I drink the decaffeinated tea.

I do not drink much pop. After reading my post, it looks like I am really not a big help to you; sorry; however I used to take 2mg of requip and it did not give me headaches but made me very nauseated. You may want to split the dosage to around 6pm (take 1 mg and then about 1-2 hrs before retiring(take 1 mg) . I know when I did that I did not get nauseated. Just a suggestion. If the pill just comes in 2mg you can use a pill cuttter. I know they are a wierd shape, but can be cut. I have a blue plastic pill cutter so you see where you are cutting. It may not be exactly even but it worked for me.

Good luck I hope that you find a happy medium somewhere along the line.

Please let us know how you are doing.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time