quick info on a herb that works very well

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
necron99

quick info on a herb that works very well

Post by necron99 »

I posted this before, but it was deep in another thread in another section

Ok, quick post on the herbal stuff. I will do a whole write up in the non pharm section as soon as I get a minute to do a major write up. anyways, for the last two months I have been unmedicated due to a ignorant doctor, and have had some really rough times during it, but I have found a herb that works the same way that the narcotics work. It is legal everywhere except thailand and austrailia.

heres A quick links to learn more about it.
http://www.murple.net/yachay/index.php/Kratom
the above link tells you all about the herb, its traditional uses, and the chemical make up of the plant

the only downside is it can keep me awake at night, but then again , some times the oxycodone did also.

there are a few other herbs I will be trying, and I will keep you guys up to date about them. If anything, even once I have meds again, I will be using kratom to hopefully cut down usage of narcotics in half, by switching off days between them. Hoefully the goverment wont ban the herb before research into its medical uses can be done, but I am not counting on it.

Please IM me if you have any questions, and I will try and reply when I have a minute.

EZ
Ill get to this later

Murple

Post by Murple »

Hi, I'm the author of the article linked to here. I found this post while looking at my web server logs, and I had to comment on it since this post because I think there may be some bad advice here.

It is legal everywhere except thailand and austrailia

And Malaysia, Burma, possibly elsewhere.

its traditional uses

Its main traditional use is to get high. It may be used occasionally for treating diarrhea, but most of its potential medical uses are modern scientific discoveries and not traditional. They're also mostly theoretical as no long term safety studies have ever been done.

the only downside is it can keep me awake at night

Yeah, it is used somewhat like a stimulant in Asia, and it is likely to cause insomnia if taken in the evening... but don't forget the other potential downsides like serious addiction and the lack of any long term safety research or research on potential interactions with other medications or recreational drugs people may be taking.

I will be using kratom to hopefully cut down usage of narcotics in half

I have to point out here that kratom IS a narcotic. It isn't an opioid, but it is a narcotic. It's similar to Ultram in that way. It is chemically different, but it works on the same receptors in the brain and is therefore a narcotic drug. Switching on and off between opioid narcotics and non-opioid narcotics is somewhat like switching off between vodka and beer to cut your liquor consumption in half. If you're going to take a narcotic long term, I'd recommend just picking one and using it exclusively.

Hoefully the goverment wont ban the herb before research into its medical uses can be done, but I am not counting on it.

Going around and promoting this drug as a treatment for a medical condition that it has never been studied for is probably not the most effective way to keep it off of the DEA radar. In fact by evangelizing its uses as an effective substitute for oxycodone is probably a very good way to get it banned sooner rather than later.

Kratom is an enjoyable plant, and there is some promising data that might some day lead to it being a beneficial medicinal. However, that is all theoretical. There is no guarantee that it is a safe and effective medicine to take for a prolonged period. Frankly while it puts me in a good mood, I find its pain relieving properties to be dramatically inferior to opioids, or for that matter, aspirin. Also, while it clearly isn't heroin or anything, I think it would be grossly negligent to not point out the potential for addiction.

If it works for you, great. If you have to take narcotics, kratom may be a good option since its considerably milder than opioids or Ultram. I've heard from plenty of people who use it instead of prescription drugs with positive results. On the other hand, it may not do the trick without taking large doses, and there is no guarantee it's safe to take every day for years. It probably is, but, you have to keep in mind its never been seriously studied. And if you don't need to take narcotics all the time, you should treat kratom like any other and NOT take it all the time to avoid addiction.

I suppose you could call kratom an "herb" since it is a tree... but it is also a strong drug of uncertain medical value. It definitely is not a "non-pharmaceutical therapy."

flip

Post by flip »

I generally second what murple has said above
but I think that it's really important to take into account that the first poster
doesn't even seem to know what counts as a "herb" and doesn't.
http://www.google.com/search?client=saf ... 8&oe=UTF-8

small detail, maybe... If this person had any real knowledge of what they were talking about
they would also know that that plant quickly grows into a very large woody tree.

It begs the question if Necron99 is unable to tell the difference between a ground shrub and a tree
then how well do you think necron99 knows his psychopharmacology?

I just hope that necron99 doesn't become another posterchild for why plant based drugs should become illegalized.
or even promotes kratom as a "drug plant" to replace all those meds that got taken away from him.

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Post by Hos »

Thanks for this post necron. This is a support forum and you are offering your ancedotal trial and error experiences involving this plant for others to gain some insight. The web site is well written and the cautions/warnings are already stating in this link that you posted.

Thanks again.