back strain

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
zzz

back strain

Post by zzz »

ok, so about 7 years ago or more i landed on my head from my bike, ive also been rear-ended by other cars, 2x. back then i had the worst time for months with this restless legs nightmare :cry:
then after doing some serious stretching and kickboxing with a co-worker .. it stopped and i had years of sleep.
then last year, again, it pretty much started after i was shovelling 2 houses, ( im in canada and the winters are pretty brutal) anyway, i find that when i dont push my back/butt area, and i stretch well, i sleep better.
i have tried the iron, vitamins, cal/mag, hotbaths, massage, chiropratic work, and even watching the types of foods im eating ie. trans fats, hydrogenated crap.
still as soon as i do lifting bending over for weeding etc. even the way i sit at work will make my butt/leg, numb, almost like a sleep sensation which i feel at night more. it still wakes me almost exactly an hour after i fall asleep.
zzz
also, we did buy a memory foam mattress, its lovely but not enough to keep me asleep.
does anyone have similar issues/ ideas :?:
[color=darkblue]
[/color]

Nan

Post by Nan »

Hi ZZZ,

I was thrown by a horse years years ago and hurt mylower back And although my RLS didn't really kick in until after the trauma of open heart surgery, indeed, my back plays a major role in how bad my RLS will sometimes be. If I overdo and strain my lower back, it can get very, very bad.

I too do stretching exercises for my back, and if I let up on them, it also impacts the RLS.

Sometimes it gets bad just on it's own, for no reason I can see....but it certainly helps me to be very careful with my back.

Keep on stretching!

Regards,

Nan