Forsaking my prescription

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
nephriticus

Forsaking my prescription

Post by nephriticus »

For some thirty months I managed to sleep largely trouble free thanks to my RLS prescribed medication. As I had mentioned in previous posts, on occasions where the medication failed its objective I had been able to compensate by performing very brief but intense exercise which elevated my respiration and pulse rate. For the past five weeks I have been functioning rather well without medication by employing a regimen of exercise. Approximately an hour before bedtime, I perform the first of three sets of exercises. Each set takes about ninety seconds to perform and I am quite winded following. Approximately one half hour before bedtime I perform the second set. Immediately prior to retiring I perform the third set. After my respiration and pulse rate return to normal I go to sleep rather quickly free of RLS symptoms.

I certainly am not prepared to declare victory over this nemesis. I temporarily could be in a relatively quiescent stage of RLS at this time which could lead to an erroneous conclusion. But there may be a lesson here that might benefit other sufferers. Those who focus their attention on their legs by floor-walking, massaging calves, bouncing legs and immersing in hot baths are accomplishing, or attempting to accomplish, the same as I. But here is the enigma. I don't exercise my legs, and I have never suffered RAS. But it is my arms that I'm exercising to relieve symptoms from my legs. I am inclined to believe the floor walkers would likely derive as much benefit by walking inverted on their hands. I suspect massaging the arms would collaterally soothe the rippling muscles in the legs.

Could it be, I ask rhetorically, that any form of physical exercise or manipulation, irrespective of the legs, performs a benefit that alleviates the symptoms of RLS? Is it possible that physical exercise or manipulation, or any other activity, frees up iron for use by neuron receptors and that direct exercise of the legs is irrelevant?

What I do know is that this regimen currently works well for me and I need not worry about rebound or augmentation. I would like to think at least some of you will derive some benefit from this information. However, I do not suggest that others radically elevate their respiration and pulse rates without consulting their physicians. Those who do not sustain a constitution of regular physical exercise might inadvertently reach a permanent solution to RLS symptoms. :(
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

Sara

Post by Sara »

Neph--

Thanks from me at least for your sharing this experience.

I am still at "frustration level" RLS, do still go to sleep relatively well using certainly long-standing rituals and watching my bedtime (the later I stay up, the more RLS I'm likely to have), wake up early because of my RLS but not HORRIBLY early, have it all day but at levels I can stand.

I worry, however, about progression of my condition, because I'm someone who does very poorly on all types of medication. So I'm likely to try every other thing I can think of before I resort to meds. Not because I have anything against medications in and of themselves, but because I am so sensitive I seem to have every possible side effect in the book (and a generally poor quality of life) on every med I've ever taken. It's scary to think that I may well get to a point where meds are all I have as options.

I have been starting to pay very close attention to what goes on, what I eat, etc., each day, and how my RLS might be correlated to that. I've not yet pegged any particular exercise/RLS connection (not anything specific), but I'm looking for one. I'm starting to try different combinations of stretching, exerting, not exerting, etc., as you obviously have. And I'm heartened, at least, to know that you've found something that's "working". No miracle cures in the shadows here, but "working" works for ME! :wink: It's a good start.

I'll keep your story in mind as I look for what "works" for me. Thankfully, I'm not slim, but I'm physically healthy and strong, so those options are open, anyway.

Sara :D

becat

Jaded but still solid as ever.

Post by becat »

Neph,
You might be jaded, but I know you still solid. What guts for you to pitch the medication and go it your way.
I've tought for a long time that I should look tons better with all the stretching and excercise I get....can't have it all I guess.LOL I'm forever throwing myself in the floor and performing yoga LIKE movements. Or will make myself dance to energetic music when it comes on. I've got a killer singing and dancing combo in the shower. It's safer trust me, the dog hates it when I dance and he's bigger than me, LOL.

I'm interested in knowing if you had a medication let down period? Liken to cold turkey symptoms. How did that work for you?

I too am so happy for you. It's just a blessing to hear someone share the good news. So very happy it was you.

Hang in there, my thoughts are with you.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Becat,

I experienced no withdrawal symptoms. I do believe that I was in the beginning stages of rebound from the prescription, though it's difficult to say. I am not symptom free from RLS. I just have managed a solution to transition my way to sleep. We'll see how long this lasts.
Neph
Currently RLS free. Symptoms stopped almost abruptly after my long term, full time care giving duties ended with passing of wife. No stress, no RLS.

jan3213

Neph, Questions

Post by jan3213 »

Neph, it's Jan

Hi. I REALLY admire your "guts". First of all, what is (pardon my ignorance) RAS? As long as I've had RLS, I can't believe how ignorant I still am to some of the things I see on this board! I was interested in seeing that you had no withdrawal! That was one of the things I was so scared of!! I AM suffering a rebound effect RIGHT NOW!! At least that's what I ASS-U-ME (Sara?) it is! For the last few nights, EVERY NIGHT, even though I take my meds early, at the same time as always, I get the creepy-crawlys, just as though I was on NOTHING!!! Only, its worse than it used to be. In the morning, I feel like I've been run over by a truck! Whatever you call it, I'm about to go N-U-T-S!!! In addition to pain! And, if anyone wants to call me a whiner, I don't care!! I'll be Wendy Whiner!! Anyway, I've seen your posts several places and have posted answers to yours saying that I was scared to try going off the meds because I was afraid of what might happen. I was a floor walker, a twitcher, not saying I had the world's worse case (I DON'T WANT TO WIN ANY PRIZES!!!)--but I didn't like the way I felt and didn't like never getting ANY sleep--I don't want that to happen again. I don't know what to do. I appreciate the advice you gave and I would appreciate you giving an "old dog" a little more info on exactly what kind of stretches you do. Thanks Neph.

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

I have never suffered RAS. But it is my arms that I'm exercising

First of all, what is (pardon my ignorance) RAS?

Jan,

It was an obtuse tongue-in-cheek thing. RAS=Restless Arm Syndrome. :D

I don't do stretching exercises. I do push-ups. I have done push-ups for many, many years. I do eighty to one-hundred per set. Each set starves my lungs for oxygen in about ninety seconds. I'm not smart enough to know why it alleviates the RLS. But I do understand cause-and-effect.

Hope you find a satisfactory abatement to your symptoms.

BTW, this old dog is older than you.
Neph

jan3213

DUH!!!!!

Post by jan3213 »

Hi Neph!

I guess lack of sleep is showing, huh? Ha!! Well, I guess I can add RAS to the list!! And, a few others, too! Ha! And, you might be surprised how old this dog is! Ha! Anyway, I'll try those pushups! ANYTHING!!!!! But, I doubt if I'll do as many as you (BIG DUH!!!). Thanks for answering!

Jan
No one is alone who had friends.

sardsy75

Post by sardsy75 »

"RAS" ... I likes!!

... And can certainly atest to its equally frustrating effects on one's life in addition to "RLS"!
Nadia

My philosophy is simply this: Life is too short to be diplomatic. Your friends should not care what you do, or say; and for those who are not your friends ... their loss!!!

kate

Post by kate »

Well the whole subject of exercise reducing RLS symptoms is interesting to me. Here is how I suffer: most every night for about 3 weeks~ 4 times a year. Here is how much I workout: 5~6 days a week, I'm a group fitness instructor who teaches 11 classes a week and a personal trainer,training five clients a week. This is a huge amount of movement and energy expenditure,I see no coorelation to my RLS whatsoever. Hmmm.....(I am 50 years old)

nephriticus

Post by nephriticus »

Kate,

Kudos to you for sustaining your regimen at your current stage in life.

I've always performed my twenty to thirty minute daily exercise regimen in the morning after arising. It, too, has no relationship to RLS which I am aware.

It is the brief but intense physical expenditures prior to bedtime that enable me to sleep. The 80-100 push-ups takes about ninety seconds. It takes another four or five minutes for my respiration to return to normal. Light extended exercise has no effect on the RLS.

I have fairly much settled on the following routine: I perform one set of push-ups immediately prior to retiring. If I go straight to sleep, great! If my legs are jerking twenty minutes later, the symptoms will be reduced but may still prevent sleep. So, I perform a second set. If necessary, I perform a third and final set and obtain sleep.

Time will tell if this is a long-term solution. I am currently 59 years of age. Ten years from now, I may have to perform only five or six push-ups to wind the hell out of me. :lol:

It would be interesting to learn of any causal factors in your life, Kate, that cause your RLS flare ups four times a year.
Neph