I'VE FOUND A CURE!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Pamelina

I'VE FOUND A CURE!

Post by Pamelina »

I have been battling RLS for 15 years. The last few years have been so bad that my extremeties have gone numb and the loss of sleep was draining me. In desperation I started taking sleep aids such as Tylenol PM, etc..., but was concerned about the toxicity on my liver. Then I bought Melatonin 5mg. a natural and relatively inexpense sleep aid. It immediately allowed me a great nights sleep and I haven't had restless legs since. I had some difficulty awaking in the morning from the Melatonin so I have decreased my dose to 1/4 a tablet, that's right just 1.25 mg of Melatonin has removed this frustratrating disorder and with no side effects or high costs of prescription drugs. I can't express how much better I feel. I encourage anyone to try this...you have nothing to lose!

Aff

Post by Aff »

that's interesting, has anyone else tried melatonin?

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

thats great that it works for you, but what most on this board have come to find out, what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Yes, lots of people have. It's really like all of these non-pharma things: they help a few, but not most. I wish I knew why. Maybe there just are a few of us that need the item in question - magnesium, B, etc. - so those few respond.

Melatonin is listed in the "compilation" post. Of course, this isn't a scientific post in any way, lol, just me going through and adding up what people have said helped them.

The other problem I have with this is that we never know how long it worked for someone. Two days? Two weeks? Two months?

The researchers have long since discovered that for some odd reason, RLS is both cyclical and has a (in a doctor's lingo) "strong placebo" response, meaning that even in studies, people who think they are getting the study drug and are getting a sugar pill, have much less severe RLS. Fascinating, huh?

For us, however, it means that lots of these posts won't help us. They might, but it's a low probability. I don't think it means we shouldn't try them, but that we need to be honest about them.

Rant over :roll:
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

angelic1ok

Post by angelic1ok »

I have tried this and after about 3 days it didn't help anymore......... I wish I could find what does though!!

Hos
Voice Chat Host

Re: I'VE FOUND A CURE!

Post by Hos »

[quote="Pamelina"] In desperation I started taking sleep aids such as Tylenol PM, etc..., but was concerned about the toxicity on my liver. Then I bought Melatonin 5mg. a natural and relatively inexpense sleep aid. quote]

Glad Melatonin is working for you! if I recall, Tylenol PM is a antihistamine which worsens RLS in a majority of people so I'm glad you stopped that one. God Bless.

liftgat

CURE -- Magnesium, Reduce Salt (none after 4pm), Calcium

Post by liftgat »

Here's the cure that is working for me - FINALLY --

Magnesium, Reduce Salt (none after 4pm), Calcium supplement

I purchased this ebook on this for $30 -- it said to do these three things, and it's TOTALLY working for me - in just 2 days. To be complete, I should also add:

- I've had RLS about 1.5 years - so I don't know if it'd work for long-time sufferers

- I take Vitaplen as a daily liquid multi-vitamin, which is shy in both Magnesium and Calcium, so this remedy balanced a vitamin deficiency I didn't know I had.

- The magnesium source I'm using (which is magnesium and potassium) is from Equinox, called "Liquid Mineral Complex". I add a few drops to my food throughout the day.

**** Now that it's working I don't need my ebook and I'd like to pass it on - please IM me on Yahoo if you want it cheap ($20 or make an offer). My handle on Yahoo IM only is liftgat. If you don't have YahooIM, my email is integralgail at gmail.

I hope for relief for all of us!

Blessings,
Gail

I so so so hope this helps others.