FDA: Don't Use Quinine for Leg Cramps

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
becat

FDA: Don't Use Quinine for Leg Cramps

Post by becat »

Hi Everyone,
I was looking on WebMD tonight for something and the main page had this article and warning about using Quinine for leg cramps. I thought anyone out there trying this or thinking about it might want to know.

I will copy the article and will list the link.

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/130/117794.htm

FDA Cracks Down on Unapproved Quinine Drugs, Cites Problems Including Deaths By Miranda Hitti
WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Dec. 12, 2006 -- The FDA is telling people not to use the malariamalaria drug quinine for leg cramps, citing potentially deadly side effects.

The FDA issued the advice today and ordered all unapproved drugs containing quinine off the market within 60 days.

Qualaquin, the only FDA-approved quinine drug, can be used to treat certain types of malaria; the new order doesn't change that.

But quinine is also often prescribed to treat leg cramps. That unapproved use is too risky, says the FDA.

Quinine carries extensive warnings about possible side effects, including:

Potentially serious interactions with other drugs
Abnormal heart rhythms
Thrombocytopenia, a blood platelet disorder that can cause hemorrhage or clotting problems
Severe hypersensitivity reactions
Since 1969, the FDA has received 665 reports of serious adverse events tied to quinine, including 93 deaths.

Quinine has a narrow margin between effective and toxic doses, notes the FDA.

The doses for Qualaquin have the FDA's approval for treatment of certain types of malaria. But the FDA hasn't reviewed dosing for unapproved quinine drugs.

"We believe unapproved quinine products represent a serious health risk because of the widespread use of this product for treating leg cramps," Steven Galson, MD, MPH, says in the FDA news release. Galson directs the FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

"Quinine needs to be dosed carefully, and FDA-approved labeling reflects the fact that the risks associated with the use of this drug for treatment of leg cramps outweigh the benefits," Galson says.

ctravel12

FDA: Don't use quinine for leg cramps

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Lynne
Thank you so much for researching this info. and sharing it with us.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

icechips

Post by icechips »

Tonic water has quinine in it: But it's very little. From Wikipedia:
Tonic water (or Indian tonic water) is a carbonated soft drink flavoured with quinine. The drink gains its name from the medicinal effects of this slightly bitter flavouring. The quinine was added to the drink as a prophylactic against malaria, since it was originally intended for consumption in tropical areas of India and Africa where that disease is endemic. Tonic water originally contained only carbonated water and quinine, and it contained a large amount of the latter. However, most tonic water today contains a medically insignificant amount of quinine, and is thus used for its flavor only. It is consequently less bitter, and is also usually sweetened. Some manufacturers also produce diet tonic water. In the United States, the Food and Drug Administration limits tonic water quinine to 83 ppm (83 mg per liter if calculated by mass), which is one-half to one-quarter the concentration used in therapeutic tonic.

I think this is what is in the Hyland Leg Cramp med: Cinchona trees remain the only practical source of quinine. Hope so.

Mom's been using her Quinine for probably a year as needed. But she's right... it says not for nocternal leg cramps. Think mom takes 200 mg. Me, I take maybe 50 and only when the Hyland Leg Cramp med doesn't cut the feet heat.