Vitamin E

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
restlessbetsy

Vitamin E

Post by restlessbetsy »

Hello all. I'm new here. Not new to RLS. I haven't looked at all of the topics on here so this may have been mentioned. A few years back, a neurologist suggested vitamin E to me. He said they often use it as a muscle relaxer. The times I've taken it regularly, it seemed to help quite a bit. I stopped taking it after the reports of E supps possibly being harmful. Then counter-info came out to say otherwise. I'm trying it again since my RLS has been acting up something wicked lately. I take 800 of it around dinner time. I just started taking it again so am not yet sure of how well it will work this time around.

ctravel12

vitamin e

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi restlessbetsy and welcome to the group. I have not heard about vitamin E helping rls, but then I am not a dr so cannot really give any info about it.

Are you seeing your neurologist now, and if so, are you taking any kind of meds or just the vitamin E?

I am glad to see that you are reading alot of the different posts. There is alot of info out there.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Have a good day.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

restlessbetsy

Post by restlessbetsy »

Thanks, Charlene. I am not currently seeing a neurologist. I tried two a few years back and the one that recommended the Vitamin E was the most knowledgable about RLS of all the docs I've seen (general and neuro). No, I am not taking any other medicine. I'm just trying this again along with some lifestyle changes. Stress seems to aggravate my RLS, which may be the case with my current bout. I'll send out another note in a few weeks on how I feel the vitamin E is working. I do recall that when I took it regularly before, it was the only time when I felt as if my RLS had completely subsided.

ctravel12

vitamin E

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi restlessbetsy You are more than welcome. I am happy to hear that you are finding relief for your rls. If Vitamin E works that is wonderful and hope that it continues for you.

Please do keep us posted on how you are doing. I also wanted to thank you for sharing this info with us.

There are some members that do not have to take any meds and I am happy for them; unfortunately I am not one of them.

Good luck to you and have a nice evening.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

Hurty

Post by Hurty »

I've taken Vitamin E for years for another reason and it has had no impact neg or pos on my RLS symptoms.

becat

Post by becat »

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to say that when starting vitamin E please start out with a low dose. 100 UI is the lowest I remember.
The reason being that IT DOES go to work on your muscles and fast. But too much too fast you'll know because.......even though it (vitamin E) is good for your heart, the heart is a muscle.....so please be careful and only raise your intake every 2-3 weeks.
Lynne

allicassan

Post by allicassan »

I started taking vitamin E for rls 50 years ago and it worked until fairly recently. I also gave it to my 90 year old father and it worked for him. 200UI is all I ever used. Lately I've been drinking a glass of tonic water daily and that's working for me.

Allicassan