Capzasin

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
SquirmingSusan

Capzasin

Post by SquirmingSusan »

I have been using this stuff for about a month now for my leg pain and I love it. It really does seem to help. Supposedly it depletes the chemical messengers from the pain nerves near the skin. It takes a few weeks to really start working, and it's kind of nasty stuff. I always wear gloves! And no matter what I do, the stuff gets in my eyes eventually. I'm getting used to having some eye irritation now and again, sigh.

It's really odd stuff, though. I only use it once a day, before bed, even though the packaging says to use it 3-4 times a day. It does give a burning sensation to the skin that some people can't tolerate at all. But because it keeps the nerves depleted of the pain chemicals, I just never know when the burning sensation is going to kick in. It's usually sometime the next day. Then all of a sudden my legs feel hot. Weird.

But I'm sticking with it. Seems to help with the pain. I just wanted to post and let people know.

Susan

Sojourner

Post by Sojourner »

Saw some ads on tv recently which showed it in a little stick--something like lip balm. Probably not practical for large areas such as entire legs but maybe good for spot areas. I assume its the same strength etc but have not seen it in person. I do want to get some for an injection pain area I have.
This post simply reflects opinion. Quantities are limited while supplies last. Some assembly required.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

My husband mentioned that he saw that advertised. But yea, I do my whole legs. Watkins makes a liniment that has capsaicin in it, along with menthol, camphor and other good smelling things (they smell good to me anyway). I'm thinking of finding an old rollerball deoderant container to put it in and apply it that way. I don't know the percent capsaicin in the Watkins stuff, but it's worth a try.

I applyed it last night before be, and this afternoon about 3pm, all of a sudden my legs were on fire. It feels good, though after the initial "what they heck?" reaction...

Susan