Slow FE or other iron supplement?

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
Anonymous

Slow FE or other iron supplement?

Post by Anonymous »

Anyone know which iron supplement is best to take? Also, my ferritin level is 74, should I still be taking these? Thanks.

becat

Post by becat »

Em this is just my personal opinion.
No I would not take any iron. Your ferritin level is good.
Too much iron can be just as bad as too little.
So I would not add a supplement to my diet or in pill form.
Love ya
Lynne

ctravel12

slow FE or other iron supplement?

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Em I am taking a few minutes as my foreign exchange student is doing something right now, but just wanted to say I am glad to see you posting. I also agree with Lynne to not take any iron. How are you feeling?

Please take care of yourself.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Em, you could if you monitored it, but not sure it would help any. You can have a safe ferritin level of up to 150-200 - over 200 would be dangerous if it stayed that high (though people who get the transfusions, as I understand it, sometimes get levels much higher from the initial transfusion).

I doubt you would hurt yourself if you took it. I also doubt it would help. Then again, who knows...I certainly do not.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the advice everyone.