"sewing machine legs" or bouncing legs while sitti

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
ctravel12

rls bouncing

Post by ctravel12 »

Picky (guest) sent a post regarding rls. I take Requip and at first did not like the side effects as it made me very nauseated. I found this site and one of the gals from the group suggested that I take two doses of the Requip. One at 1800/1900 and the second one 2 hours before retiring. I tried it and it has definitely helped me and do not get nauseated. I take .5mg twice and have been doing this for about two weeks. What is the mg of Requip that you tried and how long were you on it?

Also I was just sitting thinking about my rls and it is not so bad now. My husband wanted to lose weight so I put him on the South Beach Diet and with very limited carbs and sugar (do not know if this is exactly what is doing it) but am feeling much better. I guess it is just trial and error. I know what works for one may not work for the other one. I sometimes have problems with my legs during the daytime but not as bad as it was before. I hope that it continues. I also hope that I was able to give you some help and relief from your rls. Please keep in contact and let us know how you are doing and I know if I am not able to answer some of the questions someone else from the group will be more than willing and happy to help you out.

Picky, I hope that you join us. It is a wonderful supportive group
Have a good day
ctravel

ROXIEB73

Post by ROXIEB73 »

I do this alot....................... but only when the RLS is bothering me. Drives my coworkers crazy!!!!lol For me RLS is like having little bugs crawling around in my legs and arms. I also have PLMD.

neelia

Post by neelia »

I bounce my legs, but it doesn't bother me much like the electric shocks, tingly cramping I have as I try to fall asleep.

Aiken

Re: sewing machine legs and also shaking legs.

Post by Aiken »

DrWass2 wrote:I would also ask how many just keep moving legs all he time besides the up/down motion of the sewwing machine definition. Do you move you knees in and out contantantly, or dangle your foot and just shake it aound.

Yes, to all. Anything that occupies my leg. Bouncing my knee, crossing my leg over the other and bouncing my foot, dangling my foot and swishing it or rotating it left/right/left/right, lying with my leg out and rotating the whole thing left/right along its axis.

I partially agree with what's in the article Ann posted. Some bouncing is just a nervous habit, like biting your fingernails or cracking your knuckles or whatever else. I do some bouncing that way. But the rest of it is decidedly to do with the funny feelings of RLS. They're not as strong during the day, but if they're going and I don't bounce, I go stark raving mad.

Generally, I prefer to bounce. :)

Aiken

Post by Aiken »

I just had a funny thought...

I used to have one of those little Pokemon LCD pet things that had a pedometer in it. The pet would progress along with the step count. I'd put it on the side of my shoe and easily rack up 10-20,000 "steps" in a day while sitting at my desk.

Now, consider instead one of those tiny weighted-disc generators they use in some watches to recharge the batteries. If all of us bouncers of the world put one on our heels, imagine how many cities we could power! :)

walkindafloors

Post by walkindafloors »

Maybe most of us missed our calling "bouncers!" Bouncing my legs, putting my weight back and forth from one to the other, crossing and uncrossing, whatever use to work to help calm my legs down but here lately, the restlessness has progressed to painfulness, feeling like rubber bands stretched to the max. Now, just bouncing, walking, etc. doesn't seem to help.

ctravel12

sewing machines or bouncing legs while sitting

Post by ctravel12 »

Bouncing the legs and walking the floors helped and then Thursday I had a horrible set back and nothing worked as the pain was excruriating. I even had my husband rubbed them and even that did not work.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

icrochetafghans

Post by icrochetafghans »

Sewing machine legs! I had never heard that one before, but it sure describes me. I just found this board tonight, but my legs have been bouncing for over 40 years. My Mom used to get angry with me, and I even had a member of a church choir tell me that if I couldn't sit still, I needed to leave! I don't need to leave, those ants crawling around in my legs do!
Diane

Aggie Mom

tazzer

Post by tazzer »

:lol: I've never heard of sewing machine legs either, cracked me up! I too bounce my legs, swing or twist my legs while I am sitting in my office chair. Sometimes I don't even realize I am doing it. The pain meds I take during the day make it where I don't "have" to bounce or swing my legs, but I think I just do it out of habit now, because I did it for so long before I started going to a Dr. for RLS.

dee
I feel like a science project!!!

“The syndrome is so common that it should be known to every physician.”
Dr Karl Ekbom, 1945

Pairodocs

sewing machine legs

Post by Pairodocs »

YES! I'd never though to describe it that way, but it's the perfect name. I do it during the day. I also have had colleagues reach over and grab my knee. I try very hard to position myself so I don't shake the conference table which really buggs them. I have RLS episodes every night, and never knew if the bouncing during the day was related or not.
I've had RLS since I was about 8 years old, and didn't know what it was until 2 years ago. On our honeymoon 30 years ago, my husband asked why I was always 'idling" at night (he's a mechanic, the term makes sense in his context).
Pairodocs

GRNMOUNTGRL

Post by GRNMOUNTGRL »

Hey all,

I have been here several times and probably have posted this same thing. My RLS shows up in a serious tightening of my leg muscles and then just lets go and spasms like crazy. I am on Requip and Lyrica. My legs can go all day and into the evening even though I am on the medication., which to me is very discouraging. At like, I sleep like a baby. I hate to say that with so manyof you struggling to sleep at night. I think it is the Requip that does it. I take lessor dosages during the day and at night I take a full dose and I am asleep within 20 minutes and stay asleep. This is just what I don't understand, How they can be so bad during the day, even with the Requip, and yet I sleep so well at night. I hate this disorder and really which I could find something that would help. I dread car trips, airplane trips, sitting in a meeting for work, watching a movie, well you name it. My legs are spasming what ever I do when ever I do it.

ctravel12

sewing machine legs or bouncing legs while sitt

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi grnmountgrl. How long have you been on Requip? It sounds like you may be augmenting (having the rls anytime of the day or night) When I was on Requip, it was fine in the beginning and then I was having rls 24/7 and very painful. I finally found a good neurologist and got me weaned off of it and taking 5mg of clonazapem which is helping me. You may want to talk to your dr to see what he can give you. I know other members will post and give you some good advise too. Keep us posted on how you are doing and hope that you find some good relief soon. Also read alot of the old and new posts as there is alot of good information out there.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

GRNMOUNTGRL

Post by GRNMOUNTGRL »

Charlene,
Thanks for the response. I have been on Requip for about a year or so. So yes, you may be right. I plan on seeing my doc this week and share what you have told me. This is just crazy and I am just so tired of it.

I will continue to watch these posts as I have learned so much so far.

Thanks again.

Rory

ctravel12

sewing machine legs or bouncing legs while sitti

Post by ctravel12 »

Rory, you are welcome. I hope that your dr can do something for you as I know what you are going through and that is miserable. Keep us informed on how you are doing. This is such a wonderful site and everyone here is so willing to help and you are do not feel alone.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

b_rwhite5

Post by b_rwhite5 »

Hi all! To all the new guys, welcome. I am sure you will find that these are a knowledgeable, understanding, and wonderful group of people here. We are all family and we are here to help, if needed.

My mother and myself both swing or bounce our legs side to side and up and down. It seems to help atleast for me. I do it as often consciously as well as unconsciously. I have done it ever since I can remember. When sitting or lying in bed, I rub my feet together in a circular motion, too. Anyone else do that? It just another habit to help me relax, I guess. Like most RLS'ers I will do whatever helps. Fortunately for me (and him LOL), my husband doesn't seem to mind.

Love you guys!
Rebecca