Severe RLS sufferer wants to get Pregnant!

Please share your experiences, successes, and failures in using non-drug therapies for RLS/WED (methods of relief that don't involve swallowing or injecting anything), including compression, heat, light, stretches, acupuncture, etc. Also under this heading, medical interventions that don't involve the administration of a medicine to the body (eg. varicose-vein operations, deep-brain stimulation). [This forum contains Topics started prior to 2009 that deal with Non-prescription Medicines, Supplements, & Diet.]
jbcole

Severe RLS sufferer wants to get Pregnant!

Post by jbcole »

Okay - here is my story. About 7 years ago I started with mild RLS. Since then I have had a series of back problems that have worsened my RLS to an intolerable level. I am on Requip & Klonopin 3 times a day to control my movements. I have problems with both legs & arms. My Neurologist has infomed me that if I intend to get pregnant I have to stop all medication for RLS. I have worked myself off the Klonopin but have not been able to stop all of the Requip. I am able to "survive" with just .5 mg before bed most nights but there are others when I need more. I am in agony when I have a severe attack (for lack of a better word) of RLS. I have symptoms day & night which are much worse at night. My neurologist also informs me that RLS usually gets worse during pregnancy...wonderful! :roll:

Are there any suggestions for what I can do? Has anyone else been thru this? I can't get thru the attacks w/ heat or cold. Trying to do something else doesn't work either and exercise at night makes it worse. I desperately want to have children but I know that I cannot live w/o some sort of relief from my RLS.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Jess

ctravel12

severe rls sufferer wants to get pregnant!

Post by ctravel12 »

Hi Jess and welcome to this board. How long have you been taking Requip? You may be augmenting (having rls anytime of the day or night.).

I am sure that other members can help you in regards to the pregnancy. I do not have any children so cannot help in that department.

I hope that all works out well for you and please keep us posted on how you are doing and if you can find relief so you can get pregnant.

I know that I am not much help, but wanted to at least give you some support if nothing else.
Charlene
Taking one day at a time

ViewsAskew

Post by ViewsAskew »

Hi Jess,

I only have moment - please check out the Special Populations section. You'll find info there.
Ann - Take what you need, leave the rest

Managing Your RLS

Opinions presented by Discussion Board Moderators are personal in nature and do not, in any way, represent the opinion of the RLS Foundation, and are not medical advice.

SquirmingSusan

Post by SquirmingSusan »

Hi Jess, and welcome to the forum. So sorry you are struggling with RLS. Pregnancy can be difficult, even without RLS. I wish you the best.

I know that clonazepam is bad during pregnancy. But it seems that some narcotics might be an option. Methadone is used in chemically dependent women as a safer replacement than street drugs - and methadone can be quite effective for RLS.

I guess it's something to talk to the neurologist about. It's all about weighing risks versus benefits.

Susan